Why do we need to be polite

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood how the Blumenthals never gave AR any slack in her old age except that they saw her and NB as part and parcel of the same package in spite of "The Break."

Hello? I don't understand what you mean by that comment. They never gave her any slack? What they were putting up with from her, I sure would call giving her some considerable slack. You have Barbara's biography, yes; it's partly described in there, the way she was pressuring them. They stayed as long as they did for Frank's sake, but when he got to the point where he didn't properly remember who they were...

In any case, where is the public statement? Joan made something of one in a "Full Context" interview I can't get my hands on right now, but I remember it as rather mild compared to this implication.

She didn't go into it much in the interview. The nearest to any extended public statement is quotes in Walker's book. There's also something reported in Roy Childs' final interview (conducted by Walker), but that's brief and he might have exaggerated. There's one story Roy tells in the interview on which I know he got every detail wrong; it pertains to a good friend of mine; I was even there the night Roy had dinner with that friend and her then-boyfriend, so I know that Roy's errors in reporting some years later weren't based on something misleading my friend said. Thus, extrapolating, I'm hesitant to rely on what Roy reports re the Blumenthals -- in brief that Roy had been at their apartment along with Barbara, and the Bs were arguing contra BB that Ayn had been evil. This was definitely more extreme than Allan ever said to me regarding his conclusions about Ayn, and I think he was open and forthright, not pulling any punches, in what he told me. Maybe he became more extreme later; or maybe Roy was overstating. I don't know which.

I will also say this: If you think you are a victim you empower your victimzer.

Again, I don't know what you mean by that.

It would be very easy for the Blumenthals to leave a short, factual statement for posterity. If they don't, it must be because they only see Objectivism as "self-psychotherapy" for Ayn Rand and of NO particular value to themselves.

For all you know, maybe they have written some sort of statement but don't want it released while they're still among the living. (I don't know if they have done that.) Their life now, from what I've heard, is thoroughly separate from the O'ist world, and they might want it to stay that way for what they have left.

Ellen

___

Roger,

I skimmed it and it did not register. (Shows you how much attention I actually pay to bile. I only caught it with Perigo because it was in the middle of a longer post I was reading.)

I'm terribly sorry.

Michael

That's OK, Michael. At least, I know what your answer was to my little quiz. :lol:

And I know what you mean about missing things on first reading. Perigo was ridiculing my project on tetrachotomies, and he referred to his having developed "tetrachotomous stirrings late in life," or some such nonsense. I completely overlooked (at first) his revelation that he will be dying soon. Perhaps we should cut him some slack. (Naw! :devil: )

REB

For all you know, maybe they have written some sort of statement but don't want it released while they're still among the living. (I don't know if they have done that.) Their life now, from what I've heard, is thoroughly separate from the O'ist world, and they might want it to stay that way for what they have left.

Ellen

___

Sad. Are we that tough to get along with? Probably so.

Alfonso

Ellen

___

Sad. Are we that tough to get along with? Probably so.

Alfonso

I don't want to weigh in on these stupid squabbles between Objectivist groups. I made a rant in another thread about it. I haven't talked to any well known Objectivist in years. I can and will say that I have known Perigo years ago and hold him to be in high esteem. I don't know what's gone on in the past 8 years or so but I have nothing bad at all to say about that man. And in most circles my opinion and judge of character counts for alot.

I get the impression that most of all the argumentative parties don't even recall what it is they're arguing over any more. I've heard this and that and whatever else.

Fathom this fantasy thought experiment as philosophically minded individuals:

Would all of you people be able to 'get along' if we were all dumbfoundedly stranded on a deserted island somewhere?

Jerks. All of you....jerks.

I don't want to weigh in on these stupid squabbles between Objectivist groups. I made a rant in another thread about it. I haven't talked to any well known Objectivist in years. I can and will say that I have known Perigo years ago and hold him to be in high esteem. I don't know what's gone on in the past 8 years or so but I have nothing bad at all to say about that man. And in most circles my opinion and judge of character counts for alot.

I get the impression that most of all the argumentative parties don't even recall what it is they're arguing over any more. I've heard this and that and whatever else.

Fathom this fantasy thought experiment as philosophically minded individuals:

Would all of you people be able to 'get along' if we were all dumbfoundedly stranded on a deserted island somewhere?

Jerks. All of you....jerks.

I used to have a much higher opinion of Perigo. Many if not most people who have been exposed to him over the past few years did too. You are simply out of the loop.

--Brant