Luciano Pavarotti

Tenor Luciano Pavarotti died today, of ovarian cancer, at his home in Italy. He was 71 years old.

Many of you will feel as I do: a sense of painful personal loss. He gave us the glory of his magnificent voice for many years, but it is impossible not to want more years and still more. He was one of the greatest of all the singers of great songs -- songs made more beautiful still because of his brilliant interpretations and the beauty of his singing. His "Ave Maria" alone would make him immortal.

To understand what the world has lost, I urge all of you to go to Youtube and listen to Pavarotti as he weaves his spell. You will not soon forget him. There seems so little beauty in our world today, it is doubly tragic that a creator of such great beauty should be gone from us. The world is shabbier and sadder because he is gone.

Barbara

Tenor Luciano Pavarotti died today, of ovarian cancer, at his home in Italy. He was 71 years old.

Many of you will feel as I do: a sense of painful personal loss. He gave us the glory of his magnificent voice for many years, but it is impossible not to want more years and still more. He was one of the greatest of all the singers of great songs -- songs made more beautiful still because of his brilliant interpretations and the beauty of his singing. His "Ave Maria" alone would make him immortal.

To understand what the world has lost, I urge all of you to go to Youtube and listen to Pavarotti as he weaves his spell. You will not soon forget him. There seems so little beauty in our world today, it is doubly tragic that a creator of such great beauty should be gone from us. The world is shabbier and sadder because he is gone.

Barbara

Barbara, I believe you meant to say "pancreatic cancer."

I totally agree with your sentiments. Pavarotti was magnificant, especially singing such wondrous Puccini arias as "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot and "Che Gelida Manina" from La Boheme. There are times, listening to him, that I feel so much joy at the beauty of the human voice and spirit that nothing else seems to matter.

REB

There have been many great tenors, men with beautiful voices, but Pavarotti--man! He was something unto himself! I can listen to Nessun Dorma a thousand times (and have--and will a thousand more) and every time his voice catches me by surprise! His was a dream of a voice, something seemingly impossible and yet so real. I feel lucky to have lived in his time.

-Kevin

Barbara

Ah jeez! Bummer!. I liked Luciano Pavoratii in a way similar to the way I like Beverly Sills. They were both not only talented folk, but they were good people who did not let their celebrity go to their heads. Both of them invested effort in bring new and fresh talent online. They added to and invested in their trade.

Rest in Peace.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Pavarotti brought the beautiful sounds of Puccini, Verdi and so many others to us and opened the ears, minds and souls of a wide audience beyond traditional opera circles to those sounds.

I heard Pavarotti once in person, in the early 1990s at a large, packed sports arena (the first Pres. Bush was in the audience). But I've known him from recordings, TV shows and videos since the early '70s. It's with pain that I think of a world without him but with joy that I listen to his voice and music today and know that we'll have them with us always.

Ciao Luciano!

I, too, am deeply saddened. He is my favorite singer of all time. I know his voice so well that I can know it's him within a few bars. I will treasure his artistry forever.

Here's a great clip of him singing a famous aria from The Elixir of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxyrphGgLH4

Edited by jordanz

~ My wife was a fan of his, and I never heard of him 'till I met her. And then, a-long, came, Jo-nny...

~ He picked up enjoyment of listening to her tapes of LP such that, for a while that's ALL he listened to (and we heard), over and over, replaying on his portable player, morning through night; he beat out BARNEY, fer sure (barely, though). Were it not for him, we probably wouldn't have caught LP a few yrs ago here in CT (actually, 2x I think.) I slowly came to appreciate him, his operas (even have his now-hard-to-find RIGOLETTO movie [taped from PBS back then]), his concerts.

~ As an aside, my wife's not a prude, but, I was a real PLAYBOY reader at the time we were hooking up, and, well, it wasn't her kind of mag, ya know? But, when Pavarotti had an 'interview' therein, she had no prob with my sub thereafter.

~ All voices are stilled eventually. But to be aware of when a great voice (or mind) of someone you never even met, is stilled...in your lifetime...is to be too aware of the fragility of life which too many take for granted.

LLAP

J:D

Pavarotti did some concerts in Modena in which he would have prodigies and pop. singers. I owned the first one and enjoyed it. The pop singers sang opera with Pavarotti. Pavarotti sang some pop. I thought it was good fun.

Here is a rather kind and gentle Pavarotti joke which in no way abuses the late Luciano.

Pavarotti has died and gone to heaven. He enters the Pearly Gates and St. Peter welcomes him. Pavarotti tells St. Peter he has a letter for Peter from the Pope. He hands St. Peter the letter from the Pope and it says:

I owe you one tenor. Here he is.

Ba'al Chatzaf