Important article in Fortune

Barbara Branden

Why is America falling apart? Ask Ayn Rand

Collapsing bridges, flooded subways, trapped miners: our recent disasters recall a novel from a half century ago. Fortune's Adam Lashinsky explores the nation's 'Atlas Shrugged' moment.

By Adam Lashinsky, Fortune senior writer

August 14 2007: 6:16 AM EDT

(Fortune) -- It was the breaking-news headline last Friday that three construction workers had died in a coal-mine accident in Princeton, Ind., and maybe the markets melting down too, that congealed in my mind a thought I'd been kicking around for a while now: Our country is having an "Atlas Shrugged" moment.

Trapped coal miners in Utah, smashed levees in New Orleans, busted steam pipes and flooded subways in New York City, a collapsed bridge over the Mississippi River in Minnesota, an air-traffic-control system stressed to its break point. Could this really be a description of the most prosperous country on the planet? Can these all be coincidences? Is it time for a good old-fashioned conspiracy theory, the type that a reflection on Ayn Rand, Alan Greenspan's early mentor, might inform?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the rest of the article, go to:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/commentary...sion=2007081406

Barbara

Barbara:

Thanks for the link.

The best point was the recognition by Gov. Spitzer that politicians loving to open bridges but not wanting to do inspections and maintenance. The opening are glamorous. The inspections and maintenance are drudgery.

I was going to say that I was shocked to read that "Fortune" doesn't think that private markets can be trusted to handle bridge inspections, but perhaps that response is naive of me. Didn't Ayn Rand once say that big business is no friend of capitalism? :sad:

Judith

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to say that I was shocked to read that "Fortune" doesn't think that private markets can be trusted to handle bridge inspections, but perhaps that response is naive of me. Didn't Ayn Rand once say that big business is no friend of capitalism? :sad:

Judith

Yes. Unfortunately, neither are business schools.

Alfonso (who knows first hand as a Professor in a business school)