My interview with famous thriller writer LEE CHILD

Bidinotto

While I respect Ludlum as a pioneer in the modern thriller genre, he's not among my favorites, hence, no mention in my article. I found Ludlum's writing overwrought, especially in the early Bourne outings (lots of lines like "Oh my God!" -- much repeated, and always in italics). I also found his leftie politics too intrusive, especially in The Chancellor Manuscript. His conspiracies-within-conspiracies also got a bit tiresome. However, the guy wrote very good action scenes.

Robert Crais is another matter. I think he's a very talented writer who's very strong on characterization and plotting, and he has a very appealing wit. His Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels are great fun. More recently, he's begun to experiment with point-of-view changes -- e.g., writing part of the novel in first-person, from the hero's point of view, and other segments third-person, from the villain's point of view. It's very hard to successfully pull off something like that without it being intrusive and distracting, and I don't think Crais entirely succeeds. The best example I've run across of that writing stunt was in Nelson DeMille's great pre-9/11 terrorism thriller The Lion's Game, where he made it work wonderfully.

I have read several of Ludlum's books and don't remember them well except for the general storyline (an innocent guy gets unwittingly ensnared in international intrigue and the chase is on for him to find out what the hell is going on while others are trying to kill him), but I do remember The Road to Gandolfo really well. This was one of Ludlum's few incursions into comedy and he was side-splitting hilarious. I can't remember laughing so hard during an entire book. The way that manipulative general constantly blackmailed a milquetoast lawyer into doing what he wanted and making it ultimately good for the lawyer (and others) was highly ingenious and entertaining. This was pure "benevolent universe" writing in Rand's sense (outside of any superficial considerations about the presence of the Pope).

What is interesting is that Ludlum's work was written in 1975 under the pen name of Michael Shephard (see here) and bears a strong resemblance to a play I saw in São Paulo years ago where the author João Bethencourt practically used the same story, but presented it with other characters and in in other surroundings, O Dia em que Raptaram o Papa (The Day They Kidnapped the Pope). What is really interesting is that this play came out before Ludlum's book did. It was first produced in 1972 (see here), then later spread all over the world. I read somewhere that it is the Brazilian play that has been most performed outside of Brazil. The publicity release claims that it has been presented in 42 countries.

I tried to look up the date of the English translation of Bethencourt's play but I was unable to find it. According to here there is a version published in English dated 1979.

I wonder if Ludlum had heard of this play before he wrote his work. The timing seems awfully suspicious. Also, I remember reading in the preface to Ludlum's work about the research he did and that originally the book was to be a serious thriller. Bethencourt's play received some kind of praise from the Vatican back then, so it is possible that Ludlum changed gears on hearing about the play and the basic story during his research.

At any rate, both are hilarious, larger than life and romantic as all get out.

Michael

I've sometimes thought of writing a thriller parody of Ludlum. I'd title it The Heimlich Maneuver.

It would be filled with italicized kung fu yells and italicized dialogue and interior monologue...variations on:

"Oh my God!" said Jason, as he saw her body.

"Good God!" Trevor exclaimed, almost in unison.

"God, yes!" Samantha agreed, before collapsing in a dead faint.

God, what's happening here? Jason wondered.

Etc.

I've sometimes thought of writing a thriller parody of Ludlum. I'd title it The Heimlich Maneuver.

It would be filled with italicized kung fu yells and italicized dialogue and interior monologue...variations on:

Etc.

-The Heimlich Maneuver-!!!! Har har har. Thanks, Robert, for making my day.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Etc.

-The Heimlich Maneuver-!!!! Har har har. Thanks, Robert, for making my day.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Glad you laughed. Hell, I laughed myself when I thought it up.

Also, I was going to call the author "Robert Pablum."

I expect book reports from both Michael and Judith, forthwith!

I finished "Killing Floor" yesterday.

It stretched my credulity more than a bit when Roscoe and (especially) Finlay allowed a civilian to take the dominant role in investigations and operations so many times. But that's my only complaint.

I ordered all of the other Reacher books today except for the new one available only in hard-bound, so I guess you could say I enjoyed it. :)

Incidentally, those of you who are partial to reading thrillers, but who don't (yet) subscribe (as you should!) to The New Individualist, might enjoy my many, many recommendations in "The Best Thriller Writers--EVER," which I published in the April issue of the magazine.

Looks like I've got a lot to investigate. Out of that list, I've discovered Vince Flynn (got all of his books), and I discovered Ken Follett's two books mentioned in the article when I was an undergraduate.

I read a lot of Robert Ludlum in graduate school. My enjoyment of them was rather uneven; only a few stood out as being really good, and it was often difficult to follow the convoluted plots. There is one Ludlum book, however, that I can recommend without reservation: "The Gemini Contenders": about twin brothers who end up adversaries, a secret involving the origins of Christianity, and all kinds of other good stuff.

"The Hunt for Red October" is one of my all-time favorites.

I've enjoyed Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's dual efforts quite a bit. Their solo attempts haven't been quite as good.

Judith

Edited by Judith

Judith,

Glad that my roster of Reacher Creatures continues to expand. Thanks for the book report. I guess you did enjoy it.

I think Child figured he could get away with having a civilian, Reacher, intruding into official investigations because Reacher was a former official investigator (Army M.P.) himself. Far-fetched, but at least plausible.

My appreciation for Vince Flynn has increased over time. His stories are like seasons of "24," in novel form. Best read chronologically.

I'm now reading the third thriller in an ongoing series by Brad Thor, State of the Union. He's a lot like Flynn, but not quite as good at characterization, and certainly not as polished a writer as Child or Stephen Hunter. However, his plots are good, and the plot of this one is really inventive so far, and he sets it up with some very good surprises and suspense. Thor's worth a look, and again, the series is best read in chronological sequence.

I am halfway through Killing Floor. I am really getting off on Childs's Hemingway-type style. Very blunt. To the point.

And his imaginary stereo system in his head, where he changes blues singers in mid-song because one doesn't suit his mood. Cute.

I find his involvement in the investigation entirely plausible given the surprise personal element. (I won't say for spoiler reasons.) If police can use civilian psychics out in the real world, I see no problem in using a civilian trained ex-military homicide investigator who has proven his value from the very start when he was wrongly arrested, especially in a small town.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up Lee Child's Without Fail which makes the fifth of his stories I have read. I am glad that many of the posts on this thread recommend books by other authors so I will have those to explore as well.

I imagine there is a thread somewhere on this site where such a list of recommended reading exists by category.

galt

Dayaamm!

I forgot to mention that I finished Killing Floor and the population of Reacher's Creatures can be considered as having been increased by one.

As an aspiring writer, I am very impressed with how Childs' simple style of writing combines with Reacher's simple moral outlook, even as he is taking time off in life. Also, this simple style makes all metaphors double their emotional impact because they are few and far between. But most impressive style-wise is how it brings the visual imagery into relief. I won't spoil the book by saying what happened. I will only mention that up to near the end, all situations are typical cop story backgrounds. But when all hell breaks loose, there is a most impressive sight that one can see as easily internally as if it were on a TV or movie screen.

I will be adding to Mr. Childs's income.

Michael