My interview with famous thriller writer LEE CHILD

Bidinotto

I don't often come here to tout the content of The New Individualist, but I simply must call your attention to the long interview I conducted for the July-August issue with the bestselling thriller writer Lee Child.

Child has a simply extraordinary sense of life; and his views about fiction writing, psychological independence, heroes, and much else dovetail very neatly with those of a certain other novelist very dear to those on this site.

I'm extremely proud of the interview. And those of you who don't yet subscribe to the magazine might get from this long piece just a wee hint about what you've been missing.

Enjoy!

Robert B,

I got the magazine already, and really enjoyed the interview.

I didn't know any of Lee Child's work before, so now I have a bunch of books to look forward to.

Robert C

PS. You didn't ask him whether he ever uses blues lyrics in his titles, but with "Killing Floor" and "Bad Luck and Trouble" I'm reasonably sure that he does.

Robert,

Sharp observation. Child absolutely borrows blues titles for his book titles. "Killing Floor" was Jimi Hendrix, I believe; and "Bad Luck and Trouble" was Johnny Winter. He's said as much in other interviews.

I would've gone into this and a lot more with him, but the poor man was on deadline for next year's book and as it was, he gave me four hours! I didn't dare push it any farther. (For one thing, he's bigger than me and has a history of breaking bones...as the interview makes clear.)

If my interview can bring him more of his kind of readers -- meaning, the kind of readers who tend to hang out here -- I'll be very, very happy.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it -- and the glorious photos of the interview by Brian Killigrew that come with the print version of the magazine. I keep telling non-subscribers: If you think The New Individualist is just another Objectivist publication, like those you've seen before, you truly don't know what you're missing.

Robert B,

You have whetted my appetite for Lee Child. I will definitely read him. Reacher sounds like a new James Bond phenomenon. I wonder if the movies are going to be as popular once they start rolling out. (I am surprised one has not been made yet.)

Incidentally, it has been a while since I wrote about The New Individualist. That's not because I have not been enjoying the magazine. I have.

So let me say here that you guys are doing one hell of a job. Keep up the good work.

Michael

Michael, thanks. Glad you're still enjoying TNI; I'd wondered for a few months if we'd lost you!

As you can see, I've definitely been trying to produce a magazine unlike any other out there -- certainly unlike any conservative, libertarian, or Objectivist journal out there. The Lee Child interview is an example of that difference: Name me one other conservative, libertarian, or Objectivist journal that would have even thought to recommend Child's novels, let alone publish a long feature interview with him.

Anyone interested in exploring the full range of content in our pages is invited to take a look here. (Be patient; it takes a bit of time for the big, fat index page to load up...something we're fixing with the launch of a super new TNI website in September.)

Chris, glad you're enjoying Bad Luck and Trouble. Once you've read it, I suggest you (and others who want to sample Lee Child) start back at the beginning of the Jack Reacher stories with Killing Floor. It's not mandatory that you do; his books can be read in any order. But written in first person, that novel is a great introduction to the character.

Every writer has his great books and his not-so-great ones. Frankly, I didn't think two relatively recent Reacher tales -- One Shot and The Hard Way -- were quite up to the others. That's not to say they were bad; it's just that they just weren't quite as compelling to me as thrillers. But Bad Luck and Trouble, his latest, is a fine return to form. My favorite Jack Reacher novel so far (and Child's, as I learned during the interview) is Persuader: If that one doesn't get your pulse pounding, then you simply don't have a functioning heart.

Thanks for the kind words, Robert C.

Google tells me that "Killing Floor" has been covered by a host of performers after Howlin' Wolf, including Hendrix. Child alluded to Jimi's version in an interview somewhere.

I'm waiting for ZZ Top to make an appearance in a Child novel. But as for titles for a thriller, I don't think "Legs" or "Sharp-Dressed Man" will cut it.

Of course, "Eliminator" would be perfect....

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading TRIPWIRE which was the only LEE CHILD book available at the local library and is his third thriller.

The book is well written and there are signs of intelligence throughout. The villain is quite despicable. The hero is appealing in many respects and I am eager to discover what others here think of him. It is easy to see why CHILD can now afford to live the good life.

galt

Last week I found a copy of *Persuader* in an Asia Books store in Bangkok. I could not put it down until I finished it. It was an excellent read. Jack Reacher is a delightfully no-nonsense hero. I want to thank you, Robert B, for calling my attention to this great writer.

I do not often read fiction, but an exception like this was well worth the time. I normally avoid fiction mainly because it is so addicting for me.

-Ross Barlow.

I'm delighted that my interview with Lee Child in The New Individualist has prompted a number of you to sample his books -- and that you all seem to be enjoying them so much.

I'm particularly pleased that each of you mentions a different novel, and nobody so far has been disappointed.

One of my goals was to recruit more "Reacher Creatures" (i.e., Jack Reacher fans) for this wonderful thriller writer, and that seems to be happening.

I get a kick out of Lee Child's love of bluesy rock, too.

If and when they do a movie of a Reacher novel, I would love to hear as the soundtrack over the closing credits ZZ Top's "I'm Bad, and I'm Nationwide." Those words are a perfect fit for drifter-hero Jack Reacher, and the blues style seems perfect.

Robert, I'm glad you started this thread. I read the interview in TNI and meant to pick up a Lee Child book, and then forgot. You just reminded me. I'll order "The Killing Floor" from Amazon now. I've been in an action/thriller mood lately. Thanks!

Judith

Sorry to be tardy in chiming in on this topic, but as Robert knows, I was a huge fan of Lee Child before knowing of Robert's love for his novels. I've read all of Child's books and enjoyed them all enormously. Reacher is a true hero, and the plots are crackling with suspense.

For those who like contemporary hero/action/mystery/suspense writing, once you have finished your dalliance with Child -- and are waiting for the next one to hit the bookstores -- I heartily recommend the books by Robert Crais. Robert brought him to my attention, for which I am extremely grateful, and I've read all of his books, too.

One of Crais's books, Hostage, was made into a movie starring Bruce Willis, and my wife, 12-year-old daughter, and I watched it a couple of weeks ago and found it very gripping and enjoyable. It's not usually the case that I like a movie as well (or nearly as well) as the book, but this was one such case.

While I'm on the general subject, I'll also mention Robert Ludlum (now deceased), who has written some very good books. I think that there are now five books about the character first introduced in The Bourne Identity. I liked the first book considerably better than the first movie. The second book was OK, but the second movie was almost unbearable, making a comparison just about moot. The third book was better than the second; I haven't seen the third movie yet, but it's out, so I surely will see it in the next few days or weeks.

REB

P.S. -- My other favorite fiction genre is alternate history. More about that some other time.