Nifong's disbarment.

Chris Grieb

I don't want the track to hi-jacked. The topic is Nifong's disbarment. I will be going the great blog site Durham in Wonderland after I finish here. C B Adams has been running great excerpts from the hearings. You might call it the worst of Mike Nifong. There sadly is no best.

• 2 months later...

Only 24 hours, but something is better than nothing.

Mike Nifong, Prisoner

September 7, 2007

The Smoking Gun

From the article:

. . . Nifong, who posed this morning for the below Durham County Sheriff's Office mug shot, was found guilty of lying to a judge about aspects of the Duke probe, which ended with all charges being dismissed against the accused athletes. . . .

0907071nifong1.jpg

Michael

The most dreadful consequence of Nifong's shameful behavior is that the three boys can never escape being publicly identified with the non-rape of the non-victim in this non-case. Eventually, when their names are mentioned, the comment will be, "Oh, yes, weren't they involved in that rape case years ago? Did they go to jail -- or what?"

Watching Nifong going through the motions of "taking responsibility" -- whatever that means -- for what he did, which seems so fashionable to state in recent years when one is caught in dishonesty, reminded me of Clinton similarly "taking responsibility" in the Lewinsky mess. Of course they both were responsible for their actions; that goes without saying. Did they suppose we needed to be assured that they weren't in a coma or psychotic when they acted, or that it was not someone else who tried to railroad three boys or who slept with Lewinsky in th Oval Office? What exactly have I added to your knowledge -- or to my virtue -- if, after writing this post, I say "I take responsibility for this post?"

Barbara

Would that we could all write as clearly, succinctly and forcefully as Barbara seems to do routinely.

Alfonso

I just thought of something. Does "taking responsibility" mean the following in the jargon of modern politicians?

I am not going to lie about it anymore. From now on I admit it.

That's what it seems like, anyway.

Michael

Not nearly so straightforward, Michael. More like:

"I may have committed some unfortunate acts which have been misunderstood and misinterpreted, and if anyone has been offended (though I did not intend to offend) I am sorry that they took offense."

Alfonso

• 4 months later...

There was a story in Newsweek that he is talking to lawyers and writing poetry.

Someone has said that all Nifong wanted to be was a DA but that he had no idea what that meant beyond the title. Didn't that Russian lady who occasionally gets mentioned on this forum write a novel about people who want jobs and titles without having any idea of the work and thinking in having the job. Sometimes we get a real life example.