"Kill the bear!" Animal rights lobby for mercy killing

Michael Stuart Kelly

'We want this baby polar bear dead' say animal rights lobby

by ALLAN HALL

Daily Mail

March 20, 2007

These guys have gone nuts. They love the wild animals so much that they want to stage a mercy killing of a polar bear cub that was abandoned by his mother and is now in captivity. According to the animal rights activists, the cub faces a fate far worse than death.

He is being raised by human beings!

Dayaamm!

Here is the baby polar bear suffering his unspeakably cruel destiny.

polar2DM1903_468x389.jpg

From the article:

Animal rights activists argue that he should be given a lethal injection rather than brought up suffering the humiliation of being treated as a domestic pet.

"The zoo must kill the bear," said spokesman Frank Albrecht. "Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws."

. . .

... Albrecht and other activists fret that it is inappropriate for a predator, known for its fierceness and ability to fend for itself in the wild, to be snuggled...

Maybe they should ask the bear?

What a world!

:)

Michael

I've been following this thing on Robert's blog. It's so over the top that I can't quite believe it. According to "Der Speigel", the bear has already "figured out he's a bear", as evidenced by the number of bruises on the guy who's his 24-7 live-in nurse.

Judith

They know it all, don't they!

And who set them up as being judge and jury in deciding the cub's fate?

Where does it not say that one of the most basic rights of any animal is the right to life?

In Shamanistic terms, Polar Bears have a number of qualities and wisdoms..............

Polar Bear's Wisdom Includes:

Ability to navigate along the Earth’s magnetic lines

Introspection

Solitude

Expert swimmer through emotional waters

Finding one way back from the brink

Ability to find sustenance in barren landscapes

Strength in the face of adversity

Communication with Spirit

Dreams

Death and rebirth

Transformation

Creature of dreams, shamans, mystics and visionaries

Defense and revenge

Animal Rights Activists Wisdom includes:

:unsure:

Isn't he cute!

I'll look after him. We could snuggle up in bed at night and I could spend all day stroking his soft fur... [goes off into raptures brought on by thought of stroking something so cute and furry.]

According to "Der Speigel", the bear has already "figured out he's a bear", as evidenced by the number of bruises on the guy who's his 24-7 live-in nurse.

Judith

By this logic, we probably all should euthanize our pets immediately. My cat certainly figured out she's a cat when she was very little, as evidenced by the scratches I had on on my hands. And I'm sure all of us had bruises and scratches from our pets at one time or another. So because we have such kind hearts, let's kill 'em all!

Barbara

Didn't Ayn Rand advocate the eating of baby bears? Could someone please give me the reference?

Brant, I never heard her say anything remotely like that, and I can't imagine that she did. She loved animals.

Barbara

Oops. My bag. I guess this is how vicious rumors get started. :(:)

--Brant

According to "Der Speigel", the bear has already "figured out he's a bear", as evidenced by the number of bruises on the guy who's his 24-7 live-in nurse.

By this logic, we probably all should euthanize our pets immediately. My cat certainly figured out she's a cat when she was very little, as evidenced by the scratches I had on on my hands. And I'm sure all of us had bruises and scratches from our pets at one time or another. So because we have such kind hearts, let's kill 'em all!

Actually, that argument was raised in DEFENSE of the bear -- since he was shoving his nurse about, he was obviously in no danger of being dangerously "humanized", and had figured out his "bear-ness" despite the dread fact of having been handled by humans.

What more stark example could one want for the fact that these people consider humans to be a cancer on the planet? Everything we touch is obviously tainted.

Judith

In Shamanistic terms, Polar Bears have a number of qualities and wisdoms..............

Polar Bear's Wisdom Includes:

Ability to navigate along the Earth’s magnetic lines

Introspection

Solitude

Expert swimmer through emotional waters

Finding one way back from the brink

Ability to find sustenance in barren landscapes

Strength in the face of adversity

Communication with Spirit

Dreams

Death and rebirth

Transformation

Creature of dreams, shamans, mystics and visionaries

Defense and revenge

Animal Rights Activists Wisdom includes:

:unsure:

They certainly do speak to a lot of people, including me, on some subconscious, emotional level. They are most beloved. I usually head to the polar bear exhibit first thing whenever I visit a zoo, and I've got several polar bear pictures I use as wallpaper on my computer.

Judith

Edited by Judith

Isn't he cute!

I'll look after him. We could snuggle up in bed at night and I could spend all day stroking his soft fur... [goes off into raptures brought on by thought of stroking something so cute and furry.]

Um -- Fran -- you've got some competition: me, and probably a few thousand other people ahead of us in line! :D

Now, if you could provide a distraction whilst I scarper with the bear, we could share him.... :devil:

Judith

~ So, it seems that the only 'right' humans have re interference is...interfering in what other humans do if the others are interfering with 'nature.'

~ 'Nature', of course, excludes humans.

~ But, this raises a question about humans having zoos (nm homes wherever animals wish to roam) to begin with, doesn't it? --- I'm having a prob with seeing apparent hypocrisy with activists...and now, zookeepers.

LLAP

J:D

To be absolutely frank, though, I sometimes feel that human beings are absolutely the worst people to manage their affairs.

Any ideas?

:)

Michael

Yes, this can be true, especially when they enter the field of politics and try to hand other people’s affaires. :turned:

~ 'Nature', of course, excludes humans.

~ But, this raises a question about humans having zoos (nm homes wherever animals wish to roam) to begin with, doesn't it? --- I'm having a prob with seeing apparent hypocrisy with activists...and now, zookeepers.

John, you've nailed it. The planet was pristine before humans came along.

OF COURSE animal rights activists are opposed to zoos. They're opposed to companion animals (i.e., pets), service animals (such as guide dogs for the blind, police dogs, animals that visit the elderly in nursing homes, etc.), riding horses, and the keeping of or interference with animals by humans of any kind. They believe that domestic animals should die off and wild animals should not be interfered with in any way.

About ten years ago there were many scares at dog shows I attended. There would be warnings over the PA system that animal rights activists were rumored to be on the grounds. These activists would find show dogs in their crates whose owners were perhaps getting something to eat or visitihg friends or watching judging in the rings, and set the animals free. The animals would wander off onto the nearby roads and be killed, or get lost, never to be found again. The thought behind the activists' activities was that it was better for the animals to be dead than enslaved.

Judith

Judith:

~ YOUR analysis raises another derivative question: --- If wild animals are not to be 'interfered' with in any way, though THEY may 'interfere' with each other (and, with us, according to 'nature', of course), then, where does that leave humans in this wonderful Gaia paradise we (though not wild animals) have some cosmic obligation to pristinely preserve...in terms of human living necessities (necessities, here, includes 'growth')? The Sahara or the Arctic (the Antartic is indigenously populated with wild animals whereas the oceanic Arctic just has 'roamers')?

~ Talk about the OT's stress on humility and the Qur'an's stress on submission; this expectation beats them both. Such egalitarians see the human race (excepting them) as those in the infamous Light Brigade, where the latter were to accept "Ours is not to reason 'why', but, merely to do or die." --- Yuck.

LLAP

J:D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear. Bloody eco-fascists.

I find wearing lots of leather (gloves, trenchcoat, boots) with my mink collar is a good way to annoy them.