I Like Crap

mikelee999

I tivo American Idol.

I think the Navy guy with the ears is cool, but he won't win unless we put a lot more troops in Iraq with text messaging on their cell phones.

I hope Sligh and Sundance go almost all the way, and then tour together. They can't win, but they kick butt.

I was really annoyed that the blonde bluesy girl got voted off and Princess BJ got to stay. My wife was annoyed that Sanjaya survived. She thinks his hair is ridiculous and that his sister could beat him up.

On 24 this week, Jack Bauer tortured somebody again, this time a Russian embassy official. I enjoyed watching this guy get tuned up a lot more than when Jack settled his sibling rivalry issues with that mouthy guy from ER who always made the nurses cry.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of ABBA while watching Bill O'Reilly with the sound turned down. If something interesting comes across the screen like sex but not with illegal immigrants, I switch over the sound. Bill is where I first learned about Princess BJ. Thanks, Bills, both Clinton and O'Reilly, for raising everyone's BJ consciousness. We owe you, man.

Bobby Goldsboro and Mac Davis. Has anyone ever seen them together? Summer, The First Time. I remember riding my bike up and down the block, hoping some bored housewife would suddenly Summer of '42 me. Mary Kay Latourneau, where were you when I needed you most? You're one hell of a woman.

Mike Lee

Smells like Teen Spirit to me

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Jack Bauer part. American Idol sold out long ago, O'Reilly isn't that great and doesn't understand economics as well as he thinks he does (doesn't understand the futures market). Don't have a clue about the last paragraph. Move somewhere?

American Idol sold out? I'd like to know what you mean by that (not that I like American Idol).

Bill O'Reilly is a friggin' retard as far as I'm concerned. I like to watch his show for the same reason I like to watch The 700 Club. They're both so ridiculous that it's funny!

Gaaaad!

You guys really do like crap.

Everybody knows that Nashville Star is the real deal. Angela Hacker sang her boodeh off. And her brother Zac was blasting close behind as second. How's that for a selective recreation of reality according to biological value judgments?

They should have called Angela Hacker's performance "talent oozing out of her pores."

Michael

The Hulk Hogan Show. I hate it, but I think no list of crap would be complete without this show on it. Follows an x-pro wrestler around in his family life. Most entertaining thing that ever happened was when his daughter went on a date and Hulk Hogan decided to try to intimidate the kid. The kid says on-camera when he was interviewed later, "What's he gonna do? Fake body slam me?". Best line ever.

More crap.

Let's pile it on.

"A.I." Contestant Accused of "Masturbating" in Suit

by TMZ Staff

TMZ.com

Mar 12, 2007

From the article:

Former "American Idol" finalist Mario Vasquez is facing accusations that he tried to masturbate in front of a male employee in a bathroom on the set of the hit show in February 2005.

Shortly thereafter, Vasquez mysteriously dropped out of "Idol," citing personal reasons.

There's quite a bathroom story here.

Crap, I know. But I liked it enough to read it and post it.

Michael

^Oh my god... :blink:

Kori, American Idol concentrates more on bad singers than good ones. It's just stupid.

They concentrate more on bad singers at the beginning of the show because there are more bad singers than good ones. Later on in the show it's all about the good singers. Some people say that they show more bad singers because it attracts more viewers. Maybe it does, but they sure seem to keep those viewers on through to the end of the season.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about crap we like? I'm gonna have to go with 50 Cent and other catchy rappers...

John, I kinda like Ann Coulter too, but not because I think she's a babe-o-rama. She's actually surprisingly funny, in my opinion, but I find it hard to believe that anybody takes her seriously.

I like Abstract art, the Cyberpunk aesthetic, Vampire horror, 80's pop music, Electro-Industrial music, Synth Rock and Glam Rock (mostly for the looks but some of the music is brilliant). I even occasionally sink to the depths of utter depravity and watch wrestling (admit it, its funny, and some of the girl fights are awfully hot).

So yeah, I think Ayn Rand would have thrown me out of the Objectivist movement back then. At least now we have people that wont declare me a heathen for not liking what I 'should' like (according to Randian aesthetics).

I like watching old rock concert footage from the early 70's and thinking "I can't believe I liked this crap".

Dress like x, sound like y, dance around like z. Fill in x, y, & z with the lastest trends.

It didn't seem like corperate business when I was young, but looking back, that's all it was.

Bring back the Gong Show and the Unknown Comic! Hell, I even like Hee Haw reruns, how's that for crap?

Something about revisiting the past is intriguing. Will Gilligan ever get off that island?

Heh. To me, the finest, finest, the Dom Perignon of rock crap will always be The Ramones. Complete, total, shameless crap. I saw them live once and it was much, much worse (er..better?). Of course they came on two hours late and it went downhill from there.

rde

Just waiting for the next car accident to rubberneck

The other day I was shopping at Crap-Mart in North Olmsted (Ohio) and they were playin' country music over the store speakers. Now there is some country music that I like at a certain level (see earlier reference to Hee Haw), but what they were playing wouldn't make my play list. So later I head over to Worst-Buy and pick up the new Rickie Lee Jones Cd, jump in the car and put it on. Wow, I thought. She really went for a different sound on this one. What a creative change. I don't see how the record company let her do this.

So... I pick up my wife near the mall, start driving off, music playing.... she says "what the hell is that rattling noise, something happen to the car?" No, it was the new Rickie Lee Cd. So, it all makes sense now... crap I like, crap they like, no matter how much you like something, it will always be crap to someone else, somewhere.

btw, the Rickie Lee Jones CD is probably the most creative new CD out this year, so far.

I wonder how long it will take for me to look back at it and say "I can't believe I liked this crap."

Tex, you're around N.O.?

That's my hometown. I live in Lakewood. Heh, go figure. You probably have to buy your gear at Guitar Center. For years I used to run a nice little guitar boutique right next door to there on that strip-- next door to Arturo's.

So, crap... Last night the camp-cramp was flowing wonderful: From Dusk Until Dawn, "The Hangman's Daughter." I would've bailed on it until I realized that they portrayed the revered Ambrose Bierce in it ("The Devil's Dictionary"). Fantastic, stylized crap, Tarantino/Rodriguez style.

Rickie Lee Jones is always a force to be reckoned with. But that's not crap. We're talking crap here, Tex.

Edited by Rich Engle

I keep forgetting to mention my current motherlode-of-all-music-crap fave.

Esteban.

Did you ever catch any of his paid programming show? I am immediately his captive if it comes on. This is the Opus Magnus of all guitar crap. You just have to be there. His band is scary. I picture them taking breaks while he goes back to do lines. He looks like a cross between Zorro and Steven Segal in his fat period. He hawks product better than the finest snake oil salesman.

Just google Esteban, guitar and you'll get the Official TV website (a treat unto itself). I'd post the link but you end up with this big mess.

Do it. Do it now. Esteban is calling you. This guy is really a piece of work. I found this quote in Wikipedia to be interesting:

"Esteban double majored in music and English. He still managed to teach 150 students a week and play at night clubs."

Ok, I spent 18 years teaching guitar for a living. When I wasn't doing that I was working on the sales floor slinging gear. 150 students a WEEK? That's 21 students a day, which means if he was doing 1/2 hour lessons it's like 11 hours right there, assuming he taught 7 days a week. Then he hit the clubs and played at night? I dunno...I never saw even the very, very best go past 80, and they were ready to hit the crack pipe after a few months of that. Esteban: Truly an American Master.

He sells this student guitar package consisting of an acoustic/electric guitar (the manufacture of which, he, of course, oversees...uh-huh, hope he likes Asian travel a LOT), a 10-watt amp, and accessories. Interesting mixed reviews:

"Esteban's guitars sold through QVC and HSN have been criticized as difficult to play due to the high action and poor intonation. These problems can be reduced, however, by sanding down the saddle. In extreme cases, owners have reported that the fretboard has become completely separated from the neck or some other defect rendering the guitar unplayable. Some H.S.N customers have found customer service to be lacking, finding it difficult to return the guitar. The newer Esteban American Legacy Guitar featured in TV infomercials has received a mix of positive and negative reviews"

Ever try to show a rookie guitarist how to sand down a bridge saddle? Yikes! This guy is the bomb. He is my hero, I want to be in a band with him.

Edited by Rich Engle

When I was growing up, all the Elvis Presley films were high art to my hillbilly family (including me—I loved them, although I can't stand them now).

I also had a thing for Tiny Tim singing Tiptoe Through The Tulips to a ukulele accompaniment. Here's a Youtube performance with Rowan and Martin: Tiny Tim.

I just saw it again looking it up for this post, and it still cracks me up.

Long live crap.

Michael

MSK-- I saw that too on Laugh In as a kid living outside of NYC. A shocking, surreal moment.

I've never figured out if Tiny was crap or not. One thing I know is that he was a very astute musical historian, he collected and catalogued thousands of old tunes. And he was incredibly eccentric, in the Howard Hughes style.

Yeah, OK...he was crap, and I kind of miss him for it.

I think Elvis, although he had excellent kung fu, was pretty much crap. For sure, the movies were hideous, horrible trainwrecks. It was always crap when people said Elvis knew karate. The truth is that Elvis' karate teacher, Joe Lewis, knew his wife, if you know what I mean.

When I was growing up, all the Elvis Presley films were high art to my hillbilly family (including me—I loved them, although I can't stand them now).

I also had a thing for Tiny Tim singing Tiptoe Through The Tulips to a ukulele accompaniment. Here's a Youtube performance with Rowan and Martin: Tiny Tim.

I just saw it again looking it up for this post, and it still cracks me up.

Long live crap.

Michael

Michael,

Come on now, don’t give up what those Elvis flicks meant to you as a kid to the person you are today. Maybe you should re-visit the exception to the Elvis lot: King Creole. This is not a dumb flick. There is some fine acting from Elvis and the plot-line is not tissue-thin as is found Elvis’ later movies—which were really only 90 minute commercials for his albums. King Creole, on the other hand, is the exception; it is an “actual movie”. The script was meant, originally, for James Dean but he was killed in a car accident. King Creole has some fine blues and Dixieland jazz-rock tunes to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Creole

The bottom of the Elvis movie heap, keeping to the crap line, has got to be Kissing Cousins. :turned:

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

MSK-- I saw that too on Laugh In as a kid living outside of NYC. A shocking, surreal moment.

I've never figured out if Tiny was crap or not. One thing I know is that he was a very astute musical historian, he collected and catalogued thousands of old tunes. And he was incredibly eccentric, in the Howard Hughes style.

Yeah, OK...he was crap, and I kind of miss him for it.

I think Elvis, although he had excellent kung fu, was pretty much crap. For sure, the movies were hideous, horrible trainwrecks. It was always crap when people said Elvis knew karate. The truth is that Elvis' karate teacher, Joe Lewis, knew his wife, if you know what I mean.

Rich,

It was Mike Stone who "knew" Elvis's wife. She left Elvis for him. And I don't think Elvis was crap. But what would you expect an Elvis fan to say? :turned:

-Victor