Portrait of the Artist as a Young Punk:

Victor Pross

Victor,

Yes I did. My father died of an autoimmune disease when he was 34 and I was 9 years old. We were in Argentina when he got sick for the last time. I still remember him playing the harmonica with the IV's running, smiling and joking away when he was transported by plane to Miami hospital. In any case, up until that time I only played a few tunes.

After that, I felt like I needed to learn most of Mom and Dad's old folk songs. I really got into Irish folk music around 13 when my mom got me a Bothy Band album for my birthday. It was also sparked because between 7th and 8th grade my family went on a 7 week trip to the British Isles. we spent a week in Ireland and I still remember listening to some of the beautiful music wafting out of the pubs and I was too young to go in!

I mostly like Irish, Scottish and Appalchian pieces in minor, Dorian and Mixolydian mode the best. A soulful melancholy is what resonates best with me in music. I love going back home and playing fiddle with my mom on the 5-string banjo. My cousin is getting married in August and the whole paternal side of the family is there, most of them play some sort of musical instrument so it's always a great time!

Jim

James, that's a strangely beautiful image of your father playing the harmonica while sick. :) I always love to hear about passionate, joyful people. AND, I also enjoy what Irish music I've heard. Do you have any recommendations?

You should write your own little autobio about music, James. Would be cool to start a thread for everyone to post a little autobio like Victor's.

*throws e-money into James' case*

Tootsie, it takes a certain kind of artist who is willing to expose his naked soul in either art or a memoir, and you can’t really ask this of James. But sure, I would love to see something like this. Speaking of that, I am writing yet another “autobio” installment for Icons and Idols: How I survived Art School. It is rather funny, I think.

Edited by Victor Pross

Kori,

I can recommend the Best of Bothy Band album. This is classic stuff from the mid 1970's. To give you a taste

here's a clip from youtube

Jim

Tootsie, it takes a certain kind of artist who is willing to expose his naked soul in either art or a memoir, and you can’t really ask this of James. But sure, I would love to see something like this. Speaking of that, I am writing yet another “autobio” installment for Icons and Idols: How I survived Art School. It is rather funny, I think.

I know, it was only a silly suggestion. In my english class, we did 1-page autobios and I really enjoyed reading them. Though it was interesting to learn more about my classmates, it was more interesting to discover their style.

Can't wait for "How I Survived Art School." It's funny you should mention that because I was going to ask you if you were including any more of your writing (besides the pieces on each icon/idol) besides this autobio in Icons. :lol:

Kori,

I can recommend the Best of Bothy Band album. This is classic stuff from the mid 1970's. To give you a taste

here's a clip from youtube

Jim

Sounds great! Thanks, James.

Victor, I nearly forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed your autobio. Your unique personality and style seep through in all of your articles, but especially this one. It's pure Victor Pross. When a writer has a fun, laid-back, and hilarious style like yours, rather than a mundane, extremely formal style, it makes reading the pieces so much more enjoyable (obviously!). It's great to see the wit and charm that is conveyed in your caricatures translated into writing. I can't wait for Icons and Idols!