Cold remedies?

BAMF

As for the mucous going into my ears...I don't care if it goes there so long as it gets out of my nose. I just want pressure off of my FACE. Go ahead and mess with my ears...I don't curr.

You don't mind that dreadful pressure in your ears that makes it feel like your eardrums are going to burst? God. That's scary to me. I'd do just about anything to avoid that.

I've never had surgery yet. Luckily. I'm skeered!

I never had major surgery until I was 31 years old. Now I'm an old hand at it. :D

Judith

Different things bother different peeps. :):lol: When I have pressure in my face, I tend to grind my teeth and bite my lips like crazy. I also feel like crying. I'd rather the pressure be elsewhere as it gets awful hard to concentrate in class like that. :cry:

And you're a pro at it, right? :lol: I was amazed to see a video once of a woman who was getting brain surgery. And she was awake! I think I may have vomited a bit... :sick:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Mexican cure for a cold I used to use, but, alas, no longer.

Get to bed and cover up real well in lots of blankets. Place a sombrero at the foot of the bed. Set on a table beside the bed a jar of tequila and a bowl of cut limes. Bite a lime and drink some tequila. Then bite another lime and drink some more tequila. Then do it again, and again, and again...

When you see three sombreros at the foot of the bed, go to sleep. You will wake up cured.

Note - I can't say it ever worked for me because every time I tried, I forgot I was sick...

:)

Michael

Kori,

That was just for humor. Try chicken soup (lots of chicken soup), orange juice, and plenty of covers for sweating. This always helps me.

Or you can use the standard doctor's prediction: If you stay indoors, take medication, eat right and get plenty of rest, a cold will last about a week. If not, it will last 7 days.

:)

Michael

I know, Mike. :lol:

I still have not gotten my full blown cold yet. For the last 3 days I've just had a sore, mucous filled throat (also, my nose just hurts WTF). I'm like, "God, either do this or don't!"

Actually, that lime might do a li'l suttin' for me. Mmmm....citrus...

I would bundle up under my covers and sleep, but I'd get bitched at to get my ass up.

By my folks. Yeah right I shouldn't be going to school! They would not have that!

Sleeping is not permitted during the day, unless of course it's one of them. :lol: :pinch:

But you're SICK, damn it!

Besides, naps, even when healthy, are good for your health and promote clear thinking when doing homework later.

I'm serious.

Judith

Boy do I know it, Judith. Plus, I stay up quite late. I like to be up at night and asleep during the day. Unfortunately, that doesn't fit into my schedule.

It's just odd to me because when I come home from school I could take a nap and then my mom will yell at me when she gets home, but I could come down at 7:00 p.m. and they'd both be in a dead sleep on the couch. That is, of course, if nothing is on TV.

Nice to know that there's a parent out there somewhere that would let me stay home! I miss what? Two days of school per year, if that.

*blames lack of sleep on why she doesn't do her homework*

Boy do I know it, Judith. Plus, I stay up quite late. I like to be up at night and asleep during the day. Unfortunately, that doesn't fit into my schedule.

It's just odd to me because when I come home from school I could take a nap and then my mom will yell at me when she gets home, but I could come down at 7:00 p.m. and they'd both be in a dead sleep on the couch. That is, of course, if nothing is on TV.

Nice to know that there's a parent out there somewhere that would let me stay home! I miss what? Two days of school per year, if that.

*blames lack of sleep on why she doesn't do her homework*

Well, I'm not a parent, except to my fur children, but I can't imagine not letting someone sleep when he/she is tired, or letting someone genuinely sick stay home from work/school. That sounds pretty cruel.

Looks like you'll have to sneak in your naps between the time you get home and the time they get home, or when they're asleep too! My sympathies!

Judith

Ah, sorry for the assumption. Just seems like most peeps on here are parents. *vomits at the thought of parenthood*

Thanks for the sympathies. LOL. I will have to try to sneak in some naps. Actually, what I really want at this point in time is to stay up 24/7.

post-91-1172354765.gif Oh, man, Kori, you gave me your E cold...passin' this stuff around to everyone. You suck. I feel so yucky. post-91-1172354792.gif I can barely keep my eyes open and I keep passing out. post-91-1172354721.gif

As my baby says, the sleep marathon but I know you said you passed out a few times last night as well. We both need plenty of rest and fluids, take it easy, etc. I hope you are doing better and we'll both be feeling better soon. Hey, you know, at least it isn't a tummy deal and haven't gotten one of these yet. post-91-1172354899.gif YUCK.

Chris was sick about 5 or 6 days ago and pretty much knew I was doomed from that point on. And sure as....yep, I got it as well. Throats been killing me, constant sneezing, stopped up nose, plugged up ears, low grade fever, coughing, and so on....yucky. I should be feeling better tomorrow or the next. okay, girlie girl, hope you are doing good and getting over it.

Edit: oh, by the way, make sure you wash your hands often as this will dramatically cut down on a recurrence. During the cold/flu season, good hygeine and frequent washing of hands will also dramatically decrease the chances of getting sick. Well, that is if you have kids as they bring stuff home all the time. I know Chris does. And then parents sending their kids to school when sick because they can't afford to take time off work, etc. I know a couple of moms that will give their kids medicine, tylenol, etc., to mask symptoms so they can pass as being "healthy" at school and won't be sent home. But they're still contagious. Anyway....

Edited by CNA

Sorry, Ange! :cry: :shocked: :)

I'm glad somebody feels some sympathy for me right now. It's funny, healthy peeps never have sympathy for peeps with colds. I ALWAYS feel sympathy though. I'd rather have the flu than this! At least after I'm done puking I could get a fairly restful sleep. Hey, at least I don't have to be at work right now and I will probably be better in time for school on Monday. But I do have lots of homework to do tomorrow, so I hope I'm better so I can focus on it. :(

I think I got this from my neice. That bitch! Just kiddin'!

Anyway, do hope you and I both feel better soon! *passes the eff out*

Oh, my sweet Tootsie and my darling pussycat. My two favorite girls are feeling under the weather. I feel so powerless being so far away. Or surely I would nurse you both back to health as you both suffer side-by-side in a large King size bed. I would feed you both chicken soup—the perpetual Jewish remedy and panacea for all ills—including breast and testicle cancer. I would whisper words of love and well-wishing for a speedy recovery. I would kiss both feverish brows and bid ‘sweet dreams’ and then…I would come down sick, too! Bitch! Devil-angel! Now who the f*** is going to take care of me!!

Oh, man, you've been puking. You serious?? Oy. Yuck. If we have the same virus, then that means I MAY be getting that symptom as well soon and then we'll both be puking. post-91-1172358267.gif Oh, that's just gross. Oh, man. Well, girlie girl, we can be doctor and nurse for each other. post-91-1172358238.gifpost-91-1172358333.gif We both need plenty of fluid, rest post-91-1172358356.gif and take your meds if you're taking them. post-91-1172358304.gif. Doc's orders. LOL

Yeah, going crazy with all the emoticons. LOL Hell, you can tell your own little story with these things they have so many of them.

Edited by CNA

Oh, my sweet Tootsie and my darling pussycat. My two favorite girls are feeling under the weather. I feel so powerless being so far away. Or surely I would nurse you both back to health as you both suffer side-by-side in a large King size bed. I would feed you both chicken soup—the perpetual Jewish remedy and panacea for all ills—including breast and testicle cancer. I would whisper words of love and well-wishing for a speedy recovery. I would kiss both feverish brows and bid ‘sweet dreams’ and then…I would come down sick, too! Bitch! Devil-angel! Now who the f*** is going to take care of me!!

Very sweet, honey. Thank you, Boo. Well, I'd be your nurse post-91-1172358333.gif for you and would cater to you until my Boo was feeling better. Anything at all that you need I'll be there and will get for you. I'll even get you a little bell if you want.

Very sweet, honey. Thank you, Boo. Well, I'd be your nurse post-91-1172358333.gif for you and would cater to you until my Boo was feeling better. Anything at all that you need I'll be there and will get for you. I'll even get you a little bell if you want.

Thank you, pussycat. If you need to take my temperature, I’ll decide if it should be orally...or otherwise. That will depend on how bad I felt. Likewise for you. B)

I'm glad somebody feels some sympathy for me right now. It's funny, healthy peeps never have sympathy for peeps with colds.

Well, *I* do. Been there. Done that. Sucks.

Take care of yourselves, ladies. Baby yourselves, in fact, and anyone who says anything mean to you, give him/her a killer look, say something scary, and go back to bed.

Judith

Victor, I have always thought that laughter really is the best medicine. You have cured me, my friend!

Ange, no, you misunderstood. I have not been puking. I would RATHER be puking than have a cold. So do not worry your head. :lol: You sure are getting emoticon happy. :)

Judith, thanks for the sympathy. Also, RUN! BEFORE YOU CATCH OUR COLD! RUN, RUN, RUN!

P.S. My, my, my, are anyone else's glasses getting foggy? Must be all the steam up in this muh'ufck. *blush* Hey though, steam does kind of help the congestion.

I'm a big fan of Echinacea available as a tincture or tablets (never tried the tablets) - if I take it when I'm just starting to come down with a cold, I usually don't get one.

Kori, I don't know what you eat, but if you live on junk food, your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to fight off colds (and supplements aren't really a viable substitute).

• 3 weeks later...

Boy, am I stuffed up! Tell me something. Isn't the purpose of DayQuil to make you better without making you tired? I think I have a bad brand....and yet, I'm still not a little bit better. I just wish I could find a cold remedy that could slowly cure me without knocking me out like a K.O.'d boxer.... :(

Edited by Tee-Jay

Boy, am I stuffed up! Tell me something. Isn't the purpose of DayQuil to make you better without making you tired? I think I have a bad brand....and yet, I'm still not a little bit better. I just wish I could find a cold remedy that could slowly cure me without knocking me out like a K.O.'d boxer.... :(

Go for the Mucinex; it will thin that disgusting mucus and let it run out.

Judith

Kori -

If you're still suffering now at the end of March get those allergies checked out.....

Everyone has an aversion to something and it can often be detected quite easily. Its mostly foods, for the bulk of us, and if it isn't an acute problem most of us tolerate the symptoms without getting the checks done.

Mine was (and still is) white sugar. From the age of 10 'til 22 I suffered daily from cold-like symptoms and I just put up with it. My Great Aunt (Irish) who had been a nurse would repeatedly say "Dat choild needs his adenoids taken out....." which would fill me with dread. Back in those days removing tonsils and adenoids was commonplace whilst allergy testing was in its infancy.

Quite by chance I began to use honey as a substitute to sugar....not for any health reasons but more for investigating new tastes (weird I know). Tea was Ok, coffee was slightly bizarre, but in other general uses it was pleasant. After about a week I noticed a slight change in the daily symptoms - after a month they had all but gone. On days when I reverted to using white sugar, they came back. Back to honey and they'd go. I then tried brown (usually demerera) sugar - and they didn't come back. So since then I've avoided white sugar as much as possible - no further problems.

Echinacea, Vitamin C are good solid remedies too.

Bonne chance!