With My Own Eyes 1: Mormonism

Danneskjold

I'm planning on going to a Buddhist church when next I get the chance. My friend said she would take me, but lately I've been busy.

As far as Mitt Romney goes, I heard from my history teacher that there was a poll out saying that 42% of Americans said that they will not vote for a mormon. Now, if I thought that 42% of Americans know enough about Mormonism to decide that they do not share in the values of Mormonism, I wouldn't be concerned. However, I do not think that 42% of America actually knows what Mormonism is all about (I don't think 42% of America even knows what America is all about).

Mitt Romney's father was Gov. of Mich and discussed as a presidential candidate during the 60ths. I don't remember any discussion of his religion. This will be interesting!

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007...e_mormon_q.html

Ya, I'm not sure about all the presidential candidates and such. This will be my first time allowed to vote (I'll be 18 just a few months before the cutoff), so I suppose I should start looking seriously into them. Would people here vote for a mormon?

Would people here vote for a mormon?

I lived in Salt Lake City for awhile -- long enough to learn quite a bit about the religion. I had a number of Mormon friends. I suppose it would depend on the particular Mormon. They're very nice people. But the religion can be extremely authoritarian. The CIA is fond of recruiting returning Mormon missionaries because the missionaries are accustomed to hard work, hard living conditions, and taking orders without question. There's quite a bit of secretiveness at the top. There have also been a number of changes, though, now that so many ex-Mormons have written exposes and word has gotten out. So -- to make a long story short -- I'd have serious reservations about it, and it would depend on the candidate.

Judith

I lived in Salt Lake City for awhile -- long enough to learn quite a bit about the religion. I had a number of Mormon friends. I suppose it would depend on the particular Mormon. They're very nice people. But the religion can be extremely authoritarian. The CIA is fond of recruiting returning Mormon missionaries because the missionaries are accustomed to hard work, hard living conditions, and taking orders without question. There's quite a bit of secretiveness at the top. There have also been a number of changes, though, now that so many ex-Mormons have written exposes and word has gotten out. So -- to make a long story short -- I'd have serious reservations about it, and it would depend on the candidate.

Kinda agree with Judith here.

I've known many Mormons thru my involvement in Scouting (Mormons are big in scouting). Nice people, but I've learned too much about their religion and some of the goings on to ever want to join it.

A good book on this (there are probably many more) is "Kingdom of the Cults". The author is a Christian, and takes a tack that any religious group that claims to be christian, but then deviates from mainstream/accepted christian dogma is, obviously, not really christian. He covers the Mormons and several other groups. If you ignore his premise, you can get some good critical info on the issues with mormonism et al.

I don't care what people do as long as they don't lock up people, or eff with people on the outside. If they want to do weird things, live wild and free, baby.

Sadly, though, it often doesn't work out that way. A fundamentalist can't help themselves, 9 for 10 Vegas odds.

Jeff, you should go check out a UU church-- at the least, you'll kill a bunch of birds with one stone, since it is multidenominational by nature.

And, they know how to read and stuff...

Isn't that the reason Utah has all those ridiculous laws about what you can and cannot do on sunday and such that are never enforced? (I might be wrong about that)

I never knew anything about that. But then, if they weren't enforced, I might not have known about them to begin with.

They DO have weird drinking laws. For examples, there are no bars where one can simply go in and buy a drink. One has to belong to a private club, which is the same thing as a bar, but one has to be a member. And one can't buy a drink with dinner -- one has to go to the liquor store first and buy a mini-bottle, and then buy a "set-up" at the restaurant, into which one pours the contents of the mini-bottle to make one's own drink. Only thing is, the mini-bottle contains enough for two drinks, so that if one would normally have only one drink, one ends up drinking twice as much. BUT -- last time I knew, one could buy beer and wine in the supermarkets, which one CAN'T do in Pennsylvania; one has to go to a special store to buy those there.

Laws are weird. The laws of controlled substances and policing the "morality" of one's neighbors are particularly weird.

Judith

edit: the books about the LDS church written by evangelicals may contain truths, but the ones written by ex-Mormons are probably the best ones as far as containing the most information.

Edited by Judith

Chris,

Mitt Romney's father was Gov. of Mich and discussed as a presidential candidate during the 60ths. I don't remember any discussion of his religion. This will be interesting!

I do remember talk about Gov. George W. Romney's being Mormon. It does not seem to have been of great importance initially at least, since he was early-on the favorite to win the nomination of the Republicans for President in preparation for the 1968 election. In the end, he only received the votes of electors from Michigan and Utah, so his Mormanism at least may have helped him in Utah. What really swung things against him was a comment he made that he had been brainwashed about the need for the Vietnam War.

Charles; George Romney did receive any the votes of electors. Check the results. I remember he was a favorite son candidate from Michigan and as such was nominated for President.

Edited by Chris Grieb