My Regards for Lenin

Danneskjold

A thread was started about quotes that people live by on my other forum. After several posts of mainly individualists being quoted, a libertarian friend of mine jokingly said,

Now, can a Marxist, or perhaps just a Welfare-State liberal please come and clean this thread up a little bit? It's starting to look far too individualistic.

Another friend of mine replied:

OK OK, I'll drop another Lenin....
"While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there will be no State."

Now, I just couldn't resist this opportunity.

OK OK, I'll drop another Lenin....

I think I'll say that whenever I need a coloquialism for "taking a crap".

Edited by Danneskjold

Jeff; That is your real first name? My question about the Lenin quote is so we recognize that there are translations and tranlations. Also sometimes people make things up. I wish I could give an example where this as been done to Ayn Rand. On Bull Durham if I give you a line can you say the line before or the line after.

Here is a really good Lenin quote (quoted by Maxim Gorky, about Beethoven):

“I know nothing that is greater than the Appassionata. I'd like to listen to it every day. It is marvelous superhuman music. I always think with pride – perhaps it is naive of me – what marvelous things human beings can do! But I can't listen to music too often. It affects your nerves, makes you want to say stupid nice things, and stroke the heads of people who could create such beauty while living in this vile hell. And now you must not stroke anyone's head: you might get your hand bitten off. You have to hit them on the head, without any mercy, although our ideal is not to use force against anyone. Hm, hm, our duty is infernally hard.”

This is The People's Advanced Music Appreciation Program (to be completed in 5 years...).

Michael

Jeff; That is your real first name? My question about the Lenin quote is so we recognize that there are translations and tranlations. Also sometimes people make things up. I wish I could give an example where this as been done to Ayn Rand. On Bull Durham if I give you a line can you say the line before or the line after.

I probably can't give 'em to you exactly, but probably pretty close. If it's the one I have on my sig it's

Annie-"Well, no one ever really chooses anyone. I mean it's all a question of metaphysics, timing, and molecular attraction"

Crash-"I don't believe in molecular physics when it comes to the heart"

Annie-"Well then what do you believe in"

Then comes the quote from my sig.

After:Annie-"Oh my"

Crash exits laughing.

I am sorry to say I have not seen Bull Durham all the way through. I like the quote and I have seen that sequence. My favorite baseball movie is The Natural even through Redford was too old. Whatever your name is you add a lot to Objectivist Living. Thank you!