What to do about stress

Michael Stuart Kelly

Here is a wonderful 5-part article by Robert Ringer on stress. Each of the parts is fairly short, and there is his usual advertising, so this is not a long read. However, stress is one hell of good a premise to check in daily living.

I get so involved in my goals and entangled in dealing with nastiness from others that often I forget many of the obvious observations here (even after seeking serenity at AA and NA). So I personally intend to reread this article periodically as a self-help refocus "tune-up."

I have provided some quotes and section headings as teasers. Ringer did not try to be complete or even profound, but this article to me is Ringer at his absolute self-help best. I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Michael

Peace of Mind, Part I

But I’ve come to the conclusion that children, job, lack of time, and other frazzling issues that most of us have to deal with are not the underlying causes of stress. Rather, I am convinced that stress is a self-imposed mental state.

Peace of Mind, Part II

The real key to conquering stress is self-examination — continual, honest self-examination regarding the harmony and disharmony in your life. Inner conflict causes stress. By contrast, leading a concentric life (i.e., a life wherein what you do matches up closely with what you believe in and what you say) brings harmony into your world.

Peace of Mind, Part III

Shake the habit of fretting and stewing about problems that don’t exist.

On reflection, I’m glad I had that experience, because it taught me how easy it is to induce stress — and even medical symptoms — through the power of the mind. If you excessively dwell on bad things that might happen in your life — medical or otherwise — you only succeed in increasing the chances of them actually occurring.

Recognize that for every negative, there’s an offsetting positive.

The nice thing about it is that when you understand and believe in universal balance, it gives you the mindset to look quickly and automatically for the offsetting positive in every negative situation. Put another way, think of every negative occurrence as nothing more than an illusion that’s hiding something of value to you.

Peace of Mind, Part IV

Accept the inevitable.

Accepting the inevitable is not being negative, it’s actually positive. What’s negative is not being able to ignore the inevitable and move on with your life.

Refuse to react to the lies and negative remarks disseminated by others.

In most cases, those who admire and respect you — especially if they know you well — will defend you when you’re attacked. Just don’t make the naive mistake of expecting everyone to love you, because they won’t. Remember, even Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated.

Intellectualize the reality that life isn’t perfect.

You can reduce your stress many times over by accepting the reality that there is no perfect child, parent, spouse, home, city, or job. Learn to take life one wave at a time. Focusing on the Natural Law of Balance will bring an abundance of peace and tranquility into your life.

Peace of Mind, Part V

Don’t try to make the world bend to your will.

Trying to get everyone to do things your way goes beyond stress. It’s a frustrating, hopeless exercise that can drive a person mad.

Control anger and bitterness.

It’s worth repeating Ralph Waldo Emerson’s famous words: “For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”

THANK YOU for the post, Michael. It couldn't have come at a better time. It's like you read my mind.

I do agree that a lot of stress is self imposed. Sometimes one needs to just take things as they come and not get caught up thinking about everything that could POSSIBLY go wrong. It's hard though...hard to just forget all your worries, even if they are in your head.