Student suspended over leprechauns

Michael Stuart Kelly

Suspension of Disbelief

Art Student Expelled—For Atheism?

by AMY JENNIGES

Nov 23 - Nov 29, 2006

The Portland Mercury

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

A student named Bob Averill was suspended from the Art Institute of Portland because he questioned another student's belief in leprechauns.

LEPRECHAUNS!!!

Ones who supposedly live on another... er... "energy layer."

Averill said leprechauns are not "scientifically proven." That sure as shootin' offended the other student's religious beliefs.

According to the story, at least Averill can appeal:

On Monday morning, November 20, Averill met with the school's president, Dr. Steven Goldman, to appeal his dismissal. "He upheld the dean's decision to throw me out," Averill says. "He offered to re-admit me if I underwent—get this—psychiatric evaluation."

Maybe a psychiatrist can explain to the beligerant Averill why his mind doesn't accept the obvious fact that leprechauns will soon be coming to take him away, ha ha! They're coming to take him away!

Well I know what to do about it. It's time to call the DIM brigade. The goddamn theocracy is taking over.

Michael

Michael, this is unbelievable! It reads like a parody written for the purpose of a reductio ad absurdum of political correctness. Even supposing the student was less than scrupulously polite in challenging the belief in leprechauns, can you imagine what would have happened if a religious student had been rude to an atheist? Nothing whatever would have happened to the religious student, that's what.

Barbara

It all goes back to the idea pointed out by Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) and Richard Dawkins: we have been trained to give automatic respect to religious notions; the more irrational the belief, the more sacrosanct it is. If some flaky idea is part of someone's religious faith, we're supposed to just say "hey, I respect that". I'm hoping now that Dawkins has pointed this out, that it may begin to change.

I went to my son's school a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that one kid had some kind of a rainbow graphic T-shirt with "God's Promise" on it (he was a real brat, too!). Made me wonder what would happen if I sent my son to school in an Atheist-themed shirt! I wouldn't actually use my son to stir up controversy like that, but I can imagine what would happen. It would be found "offensive", even though my offense at the "God's Promise" shirt would be discounted.

But at least there's some hope: things aren't as bad at the University of Arizona. My husband was telling me that one of his colleages at work, a fellow optics professor, once had some fun heckling one of those crazy U of A mall preachers. I was encouraged that he apparently wasn't worried about getting into trouble for "intolerance".

The only worse thing that could happen to you than being suspended over leprechauns would be to have leprechauns suspended over you.

LMFAO! That was my laugh o' the day.

It all goes back to the idea pointed out by Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) and Richard Dawkins: we have been trained to give automatic respect to religious notions; the more irrational the belief, the more sacrosanct it is. If some flaky idea is part of someone's religious faith, we're supposed to just say "hey, I respect that". I'm hoping now that Dawkins has pointed this out, that it may begin to change.

I went to my son's school a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that one kid had some kind of a rainbow graphic T-shirt with "God's Promise" on it (he was a real brat, too!). Made me wonder what would happen if I sent my son to school in an Atheist-themed shirt! I wouldn't actually use my son to stir up controversy like that, but I can imagine what would happen. It would be found "offensive", even though my offense at the "God's Promise" shirt would be discounted.

But at least there's some hope: things aren't as bad at the University of Arizona. My husband was telling me that one of his colleages at work, a fellow optics professor, once had some fun heckling one of those crazy U of A mall preachers. I was encouraged that he apparently wasn't worried about getting into trouble for "intolerance".

EXACTLY! There would be quite a controversy if I wore an Atheist themed shirt (although I don't think I'd be suspended). I might just do it to see what happens. Anyone know where I can find one? :lol:

It's funny, there was actually some controversy over something religious at my school (although not necessarily with the teachers). Some of the members of the Gay/Straight Alliance wear a shirt one day per year that says "silenced for the last time" and they are silent all day. I guess that's supposed to make some sort of an impact. Anyway, some religious people made a shirt with a quote from the bible that was saying that only a man and woman should be together...I believe (can't remember the quote exactly, i'll have to look it up). So, there was quite a stir over that, and also a moronic newspaper article.

I think the leprechaun thing tops it all.

Here is Bob Averill's blog:

Portland Atheist

He is getting comments about this issue, even a job opportunity, so it seems like the old adage is working out for him: "There is no bad publicity, all publicity is good publicity." I did not leave him a comment because you need to sign up for a Google blog to do that and I don't want one.

I looked at his profile and one of his favorite books is Atlas Shrugged.

He sounds like a real bright kid.

Michael

Nowadays, it seems the one unforgivable thing is to speak the truth.

Ayn Rand was so right: "It is earlier than you think."

We should also keep in mind that not only is it early in the history of man, it is early in Objectivism. We all have to grit our teeth and press on against the destructive forces within as well as without.