L.A. police to swap gift vouchers for guns in Compton

BAMF

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The notorious Los Angeles district of Compton is offering to exchange guns for gift vouchers as part of efforts to stamp out violent crime in the neighborhood, police said.

Police in Compton -- ranked the fourth most dangerous district in the US in a recent survey, with a murder rate several times above the national average -- will offer 50 dollar gift vouchers for every gun deposited.

The vouchers can be used at designated electrical goods stores, supermarkets and toy-shops, organisers of the gun amnesty said.

Police said people taking part in the scheme would have total anonymity.

"The largest challenge to this program is to ensure that the local residents understand that this is a completely anonymous process, where we will ask no questions of the person surrendering the firearm," a police official said.

A similar program last year netted around 400 weapons, police added.

Compton had the worst homicide rate in Los Angeles last year with 67 deaths. This year has seen a drastic reduction -- with 35 reported so far -- a decline attributed to aggressive law enforcement practices.

I can't help but wonder what kind of guns the police get in these program. I suspect that criminals use the trade in program to get better guns. I suspect the old guns are given up to replaced after the gift certificate is traded for a more powerful weapon. I guess I'm an old cynic.