Poking Fun at Atlas Shrugged

mweiss

I had sent some friends of mine an e-mail titlted:

"Wafa Sultan : the Middle Eastern Equivalent of Ayn Rand?"

One of them was a Liberal, who replied:

"Mark, every time you ever mention Objectivism, this is all I can think of:"

atlass.gif

I have to admit, the comic strip had me rolling in laughter. Best laugh I've had all night. All in good fun, of course. ;)

Mark; Maybe it's me. I don't find it that funny.

Normally, I would find such a strip offensive, but it must be that I have 'mellowed out' over the years. For some reason, I was able to set aside the Objectivist mindset and look at it as an outsider. Scary, huh?

I understand the supposed humor of the comic strip, I don’t find it funny at all—and not because I’m “offended”. In the Galt's Gulch, the ‘men of the mind’ have no problem growing food, tiling the soil, sweeping up and other manual labor along with the more brainy work. When Galt said in his radio speech “We don’t need you”—he meant it. So that’s why the supposed humor is missing from this strip. Even a joke must have some layer of truth to it, and this one has neither wit nor irony.

Believe me, I love humor. And so I’m a little disappointed with this.

I have to agree with Victor on this. He is correct. The men of the mind were producers and as such, knew how to do menial tasks as well as major accomplishments of science. The comic strip conveniently overlooks that. Good point, Victor.

And I still found it funny for the reasons I gave.

So there.

Nyah!

:)

Michael

Okay, perfectly fine to react with laughter to something like that comic. One would not expect a response like the Mohammud cartoons evoked among Muslims. :) We're a civil philosophic school of thought here.

But I do find it curious how my Jewish acquaintance is unwilling to stand in defense of Israel and Jews in general. He's ultra-Liberal left-wing. Oh well, he's lived in Boston much of his life. I guess that explains it. ;)

I like humor about Ayn Rand. The strikers started doing what was neccessary for their lives. I repeat the cartoon wasn't funny because any good reader of the book would know the strikers had no problem tilling the soil.

All they would have to do is get some former looters from the old world and say “Look, you wanna live? Then get to work, bitches.” :)

Now that's a scenario I would give my right arm to witness! :)

Mark,

It is so obvious to me that the “joke” was written by a liberal who seems to hold the Marxist “surplus value” theory—in that the real cause behind human production, behind human survival, is the sweat and muscle of “the workers” over brains. This not only jumps in the face against what AS is all about and demonstrates to be true—but against historical facts. In this cartoon strip, the “men of the mind” are really dependent upon the workers—the very thing that Rand’s theme seeks to discredit. She succeeded. This strip just ignores all these facts and takes its own theme as 'a given'.

This is why this joke is not objectively funny—except to those who would hold a leftist view of production. In MSK’s case, he laughed at what the intended humor was meant to be, but upon examination the “humor” collapses under the weight of its own untruth. Nevertheless, thanks for posting it. I get a laugh from it of a different sort.

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Michael,

You might not have thought about “class struggles” but what else is the cartoon about? Read between the lines where the supposed humor is presented. That joke doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and it seems pretty clear to me that it was created from an “axe to grind” impetus. You don’t get that impression at all?

Humor, it is true, can be totally non-cerebral, illogical and totally silly —such as you would find in a Marx Brother movie—but this cartoon is trying to convey a “message”—the one I just explained. By the way, nobody said that “tilling the soil” is easy work-- but that is all beside the point I’m making.

Anyway, I don’t want you to think I’m getting all anal over a silly cartoon strip.

Victor

[P.S. Chris, where do you stand now? good god, man--you are making me dizzy!] :wink:

Edited by Victor Pross

I didn't think it was funny either. I was just kind of bewildered, and wondered, "Didn't they read the book?" for the reasons Victor mentioned.

And I know that manual labor is hard. I once had to muck out a stall (that's ONE stall). The woman told me it would take me 10 or 15 minutes. 45 minutes later, I was only a quarter done and I was weeping with frustration. She took pity on me and finished the job so I could get on the road, because I had an eight hour drive ahead of me towing a horse trailer. It's a matter of knowing how and of having developed the correct muscles.

Judith