Introduction Thread

Inky

thank you for your site. it is stimulating in a way the neighbors just can't be... lol

i have no credentials. i only ever saw rand on tv.

once, though, i was the youngest and highest paid section foreman on a railroad. At that time i had 2 full time jobs, actually, and during daytime lunch break i read atlas shrugged. words are our cognitive tools, and she had such a nicely organised toolbox of precision tools i was enthralled. after writing 'who is john galt' on half a dozen box cars, i quit the RR. suddenly i knew i knew better and was determined to test it all empirically. it was especially easy for me cuz, having clear memories back to age 4, i could remember detailed chats with my mom, and even direct quotes from AS. i was her experiment.

the galt motif persists to this day. i pirate endlessly from the speech, use addresses in Galt's Gulch such as Taggart Way; i had lots of jgalt@ emails at one time..lol - with no numerical suffixes, either. i still keep one. but my attorney advises me to confess nothing further, so...lol

anyway, it looks like i've been having piggyback rides from objectivists since i could walk; i'm grateful for the boost.

atm i'm 'illegal alien', so plz forgive what you may regard as excessive concern for anonymity.

P-}

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I'm Mike James (MJ) I thought I'd stop by and say hello. I've been a lurker in the world of Objectivist internet sites for a few years. I've posted infrequently on SOLO, mainly because that site tends to be the most active. The pro ARI tone is a bit of a turn off though. I find that there are many good people on SOLO, as well as RoR and OL of course :)

My interest in Objectivism coincided with the publication of PARC. The controversy surrounding PARC has been quite depressing. Why can't some people (the ARI folks) grow up and move on. What's past is past. Ayn Rand is dead; Objectivism lives.

Ciro, congratulations on Italy's victory in the World Cup!

Hi MJ and Tndbay. Welcome to Objectivist Living. I hope you like it here...we sure do.

Tndbay doesn't really roll off the tongue (or the keyboard) because there is a missing vowel. What do you generally like to be called in conversation? Do you have a nickname?

Kat

I wanted to say what a delight it was to meet you all at TOC Summer Seminar. Now I can put a name with a face. Everyone should know that Barbara is a trouper leaving the common room after I did some nights.

• 1 month later...

Since this is the Introduction thread, I'll add mine.

I first got into reading Rand and libertarian works about the time I graduated HS and left for college, around 1981/82. I read all of Rand's fiction and non-fiction books at the time. I kind of 'hit a wall' with ITOE and never finished it, and while I got several of Rand's books (and what's I call the post-Rand books from Peikoff et al), I haven't read them. The only libertarian magazines I knew of at the time was Reason and The Freeman, so I missed out on the various Objectivist magazines/newsletters/etc. I have a few of NB early books, but haven't read them (only so many hours in a day).

While I've liked a lot of Rand's philosophy, I've never considered myself an Objectivist, but a libertarian (and a few times a Libertarian). There are just certain aspects of the philosophy I don't go for. Esthetics is a major one (it smacks too much of one having to only enjoy 'approved' works of art, which I don't go for). I've also been turned off by the cult-like attitude by many of her followers, getting pissed at each other and declaring them 'unmutual', etc.

FWIW, I have a copy of PAR, but have only read portions (not really big on biographies), don't have a copy of MYWAR yet (have one on order), nor PARC (I'll get it and read it, but already think its garbage).

I've looked over the 3 major on-line objectivist sites: SOLOPassion, ROR, and this one. This one seems the more friendly. SOLOP is too-ARIan/'Orthodox Objectivist' for me. I'll read stuff there on occasion, but that's it.

I've never had any face-to-face interactions with any Objectivist. Not something I've tried to avoid it. But nothing something I necessarily have looke for, if only because of some of the 'attitudes' I've seen displayed on-line by certain OOs.

I guess where to comes to the ARI/TAS split, I'd probably be with the TAS. As if it matters, as I probably wouldn't be welcome at ARI. B) I agree with Kelley regarding Objectivism as an open system.

I dislike getting too personal, but I will add that I have a fairly technical/scientific education background. So I understand things like how to do research, figure things out, etc.

Edited by Michael Brown

Hey Michael,

Welcome aboard!

From the sound of you, I think you will feel pretty much at home around here.

Our "take" on Objectivism is that it is a core group of principles, some of which were identified by Rand and some by others, but all integrated into a single core system by her - and nothing more.

I look forward to reading your ideas.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Peri and while I may have posted here once or twice before, I never bothered to introduce myself!

Firstly, let me admit I'm not an Objectivist per se, and Ms. Rand sometimes strikes me as a little...strident, shall we say. But some of her ideas intrigue me...I am the longtime companion of Michael "Mick" Russell (he is and always shall be "Michael" to me). Visitors to Notablog might recognize my name, since I post there with some frequency...not so much on philosophical matters (I'm dreadfully unlearned in that area), but on other topics.

Let me say here that I was and am completely appalled, disgusted and upset by the campaign against Chris that has been going on on some other internet Objectivist sites. This matter should have remained a private disagreement between a few people rather than a techno-tabloidesque BS campaign by some grasping, desperate-for-attention, unethical blowhards with axes to grind and ARI grants to finagle in a tawdry, desperate fashion.

I suppose I'm exploring Objectivism partly because I wish to share some of what fires my Michael's mind, and partly because I'm dissatisfied with political philosophy as usual. I love to write, and I'm thrilled that this site has a section completely devoted to creative writing.

You all seem like a fun and friendly group. I look forward to getting to know you all better in the future.

Sincerely,

Peri Sword

Peri,

I am glad to see you here. Hopefully you will find some fun and even learn a bit about Rand, Objectivism, the Brandens and other related subjects.

One word of caution. We encourage everyone to think with their own mind, so we hold that no premise is so sacred that it cannot be checked.

Be careful, though. Thinking with your own mind is a hard habit to break once you acquire it. It will get you in trouble in some places.

btw - I really like Mick.

Michael

Hi Peri,

Nice to see you. We will try very hard not to start a smear campaign against you and Mick. ;) Seriously, I agree that all this blood lust is horrible and gives Objectivists a bad reputation. Chris certainly did not deserve that and Barbara certainly does not deserve all the crap aimed at her either. :angry:

I hope you enjoy OL and post some of your creative writing. Please feel free to post about other things that interest you such as news items, art, music, recipes, etc. You are always welcome to join in the philosophical discussions and ask all the questions you want or just read things at your own pace.

Make yourself at home, we are glad to have you here.

Kat

Hi, Peri! Welcome! I like Mick, and you seem nice, too, which should be no surprise, I guess. :-)

You mentioned creative writing. I have access to, and permission to post, a series on imaginative literature written back in the 1970s by Jeff Riggenbach, a noted libertarian, a long-time fellow-traveller of the Objectivist movement, and a repeat contributor to Chris Sciabarra's Journal of Ayn Rand Studies, etc. Stay tuned. This material will appear as I have time to type it in and run it by Jeff for proofreading and footnoting (assuming he wants to update or otherwise comment on what he wrote).

Best,

REB

Greetings!

I'm Graham, new to the forum but not new to Objectivism. I began reading Ayn Rand's books when I was around 34 (nearly 15 years ago). My two favorite books are Anthem and Atlas Shrugged. I consider myself to be Objectivist oriented.

I work in air traffic control R&D, finding ways to make traffic move faster and safer. I use mathematics and do a considerable amount of computer programming.

I've been married for almost 22 years. My wife and I have one daughter, nearly 8 years old. We also have a pet guinea pig.

I'm a misfit in society for many reasons, not the least of which is for being rational. I came here looking for stimulating conversation.

Guess that's it for an intro. Looking forward to meeting folks in the forum!

Best regards!

Welcome, Graham!

Objectivist-oriented? What a nice phrase. I have been using Objectivism-friendly so far. I may use it once in a while.

I grew up not too far from where you are - right outside Alexandria in Fairfax county. I also went as a student to the very first summer music camps in Reston too long ago to mention. Do they still have those camps?

I hope you like it around here. Don't worry about being a social misfit. I think we all are around here to some extent.

Michael

Hi, Everyone,

My name is Andrew Durham. I'm a independent student of philosophy. Mostly, I've spent 20 years tracking down the cause of something that happened when I was 15, which in turn reminded me of how I was when I was very young. The work and spirit of Ayn Rand have helped me immensely in this quest. I studied her work intensely between the ages of 19 and 25. Then I found a secret key to it, which I've just posted in Articles, called The Being of Existence. I hope you will read it and tell me what you think. It is the 2-3 page product of half a lifetime of contemplation and struggle (though it got a big overhaul today in my excitement about finding this site). If you like the essay, there's a link there to my site where there's another essay about something... quite different.

I found this site early this morning. I was so excited to find it because I found the conversation infused with something more than calmness and respect, but actually... love. I've wanted to share my essay for a year since I wrote it but could find only a snooty or rabid or sectarian vibe wherever I went. So today it just popped.

Much gratitude for your space.

Andrew :D

Edited by Andrew Durham

Objectivist-oriented? What a nice phrase. I have been using Objectivism-friendly so far. I may use it once in a while.

Michael

I like "Objectivish" myself.

MBM

I'm Deanna. I have been a bit active on the RoR board lately, and Michael invited me to join you here. I have been lurking for a few days getting the feel of things. I don't call myself an Objectivist. I was just recently introduced to Objectivism by way of Atlas Shrugged. I am still learning and deciding. I look forward to being a part of this group.

Hey, I found a picture for my avatar! This is fun.

I was looking through a triangular window opening of an earthen geodesic dome I built (and recently had to demolish because of mold). Someone else was trying to restore it and was putting in an earthen floor. I was checking in on her.

Do you know that avatar is a Sanskrit word that means "god incarnated in human or animal form"? Oh, those funny internet marketing mavens.