Objectivist Playground

Objectivist Playground

Wanna have some fun?

How's that for a weird question in O-Land?

I mean, why have fun when you can bicker?

:) 

Anywho, I'm starting this thread because of a cute video I saw by a charming young female who calls herself an Objectivist. She even worked at ARI for 5 years. Her name is Jennifer Alexandra.

Jennifer's aesthetic is lighthearted spontaneity. You don't see much of that in O-Land and I love it.

So I thought, why not start a thread where examples of people having fun with Objectivism, Rand, and fellow-travelling stuff can be gathered? I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves it.

Now you know why this is here in Aesthetics. You can stop worrying now.

How did this happen?

Well, I came across this video following a rabbit-hole from a post Stephen Boydstun just made here on OL about horses. :) Don't believe me? See here.

Yeah, yeah, I know his post is only a link, but it goes to Facebook and I went there and damned if I know how I ended up on a discussion he was having someone about the existence of God. Interesting? Sure. Poignant? Actually there were several poignant, even beautiful moments worth reading.

But fun? I wouldn't call it that. Except for a guy's post. His name is Lawrence Edward Richard (I don't know him) and he posted Jennifer's video. Here's the Facebook link if you want to see it. I hope that link goes there. You never know with Facebook.

So enough blabbing about this.

I mean enough already.

Or do you want more?

I mean, I already did a good setup, right?

Right.

So now to the payoff.

Ladies and gentlemen.

I give you Jennifer Alexandra.

Jennifer has a whole bunch of videos. Almost all of them are Objectivism-themed. I saw several and I intend to post many in this thread, that is after I think up some pithy or smart-ass things to say each time.

But there's other fun Objectivist-related stuff out there on the Interwebs, too.

As I come across it, I'll share it here.

And if you come across good stuff, or even awful stuff :) , go on and share it.

You know you want to.

Michael

If anyone wants to see what SoloHQ was like in the beginning back in 2005 or so, it looked like this:

For those who don't know, SoloHQ was an Objectivist forum a while back that tried to be an alternative to ARI and TAS (which went by another name back then).

For sundry reasons a schism happened (surprise surprise surprise :) ). 

Then that forum splintered into three forums, RoR, SoloPassion and right here, OL.

I guess OL doesn't look much like Jennifer's skit anymore.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

The isn't 100% within the spirit of this thread, but the light-hearted and fun way Jennifer Alexandra took apart some cringe moments in Atlas Shrugged 3 made me want to put it here.

Not one iota of malice or posturing.

I swear, Jennifer doesn't have a mask on in public like so many do.

Her posture is her.

What you see is what you get.

In my opinion, even with the low budget and no timeline to speak of, if this young lady had directed to movie, I believe it would have been at least 50 times better. Her suggested fixes to scene problems, casting, audio, etc., are spot on.

As it stands, the film looks like it was made for Hallmark, except Hallmark movies are far better in the language of cinema.

I'm trying to think of something clever to say about all the cheesy moments they produced in the film, but my humor for that would have a nasty bite to it.

And this is a Playground.

So, keeping it light and fun, enjoy Jennifer's analysis.

You will learn, you will laugh, you will think, and you will be charmed.

Michael