HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT

HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT

A big change is coming, but it's technical.

Many moons ago, the forum software for OL was installed in a subdirectory (called forums).

Tomorrow (hopefully), the entire OL forum will be transferred over to objectivistliving.com instead of objectivistliving.com/forums where it is currently at.

This will entail an interruption in service. Technical support says it is minimal. I imagine this will be an hour or two, maybe less.

After it is done, there will be a few issues like broken links to profiles (not the actual profiles themselves), so these problems, and maybe a few other things, will have to be fixed as we go along.

What's the reason for this? Once again, it's technical.

OL moved over to cloud hosting a while back. The IPB system needs manual attention at times when the forum is in a subdirectory like OL is, but that particular care is not needed when the forum is in the main directory. Also, tech support informed me that the actual system controlling the hosting is not as robust for a site on a subforum as when the site is in the main directory.

So the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a lot.

You yourself might have noticed a few problems due to this. For example, when trying to access OL, if you have sometimes seen error pages with messages like:

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

this is why. Notice that the site is available soon after.

Well, this problem will go away shorty with this change. And, hopefully, OL will get faster and smoother than it is right now.

I will add more details to this Announcement once I know them.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Michael

• Upvote 1

Hey, it just occurred to me that "deranged" is what the thin-skinned dude who left just called me.

There is no quote function for profile status, but you can see the words quoted below here. He's one pissed off dude:

... I cannot in good conscience associate with someone who is as deranged as the owner is.

:) 

For those who didn't follow the exchange, this guy wanted to teach people here on OL that the USA did not have a constitution. I said not only does the USA have a constitution and a good one, discussing this issue is kind of elementary. Saying the constitution exists is like learning to add and subtract or make words with the letters of the alphabet. To jazz this up a bit and make it more intellectually appealing, I threw in a little epistemology about using words to mix up kind and degree. (Identification and evaluation, cognitive and normative.) Then I said he could discuss the existence or not of this document, but I wasn't interested.

At that point I became deranged in that guy's view.

Man, am I getting quite a reputation.

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!... 

Michael

We are now officially centered on the root domain and not the subfolder.

Yay!

The IPB people did this in the middle of the night.

There is still one more thing they will do.

Here is the notice I got from support that explains it.

This has now been moved to root for you. Note, this will at some point later this will be moved over to our new infrastructure. I will let you know once that has been done, and there will be a very small amount of downtime during that move

Like I told him, it seems like the forum is better response-wise. Faster. But that might just be me rooting.

At any rate, it feels just fine so far.

Gettin' 'er done.

Michael

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I have been told by support, everything is done.

I, for one, feel the forum is faster and easier to use in terms of browser response.

Enjoy.

Michael

The Activity page is gone.

--Brant

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Brant,

For me it's up.

image.png

When I click on it:

image.png

What are you using, PC, smartphone, or tablet?

We'll figure this out and get you there.

Michael

Smart phone

On 4/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, Brant Gaede said:

Smart phone

Brant,

Try this URL:

https://www.objectivistliving.com/discover/

It should take you directly to the Activity feed.

You probably have a cached URL that goes by way of Forums:

https://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/discover/

That URL doesn’t work now.

—-

I’m not returning to posting.  Along with my eye difficulties, I’m in too much pain from post-polio syndrome to be writing posts.  I just wanted to help Brant out.

—-

William, someplace in the last few weeks you mentioned that you sent me a snail-mail missive.  Whatever became of that - maybe it was misaddressed - it didn’t arrive here.

Ellen

3 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

I’m not returning to posting.  Along with my eye difficulties, I’m in too much pain from post-polio syndrome to be writing posts.

Ellen,

If there were anything possible for me to do or give to alleviate the pain from your illness and help with your eye trouble, I would gladly do and give it. 

I hope you feel better before too long.

Be well.

Michael

11 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

William, someplace in the last few weeks you mentioned that you sent me a snail-mail missive.  Whatever became of that - maybe it was misaddressed - it didn’t arrive here.

I am sorry indeed to hear about the post-polio syndrome giving you pain -- but glad you are here in the world. I will double-check the address and send on something timelier, if you are not averse to generally cheerful non-contentious 'thinking of you' notes. I will also include a revision of my feelings about our Hawking dispute. If you are okay with snail mail of this kind ... fountain pen on paper with a one-of-a-kind envelope.

Edited by william.scherk
Sssss

17 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Brant,

Try this URL:

https://www.objectivistliving.com/discover/

It should take you directly to the Activity feed.

You probably have a cached URL that goes by way of Forums:

https://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/discover/

That URL doesn’t work now.

—-

I’m not returning to posting.  Along with my eye difficulties, I’m in too much pain from post-polio syndrome to be writing posts.  I just wanted to help Brant out.

—-

Ellen

Try megadosing on hydergine. The reference is Dirk Pearson n Sandy Shaw The Life Extension Companion.

--Brant

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I had a cancer removed from my nose last Wednesday and it was three layers and four cuts deep. The twenty stitches will come out this coming Wednesday.  I look like a mess and it still hurts. Three main cuts and flaps with lots of blood were present.

Peter,

Like Ellen, you, too, are in my thoughts, heart and worries.

I hope your trouble clears up soon.

Be well.

Michael