WHy can't I send a PM or view the browsers or do anything without losing my screen

My i? I don't know what you mean. pad, apartment. ipad. some computer thingy. Maybe Michael is asleep. Sorry. Now I am going to bed. Best luck to you, carol jane. The wind is howling here on Delmarva but my cat Precious is in for the night after I called her two times. Am I really that old? Guess so. We have one of those door bell cameras and when  I see myself in the front or the back door on replay, I think, am I really that old fart? Stand up Straight, dumkoff! 

27 minutes ago, caroljane said:
  •  See what I mean, the screen just froze. why?
  • This device is accursed.

I just had to look in one more time. I use a standard computer and I don't use a Phoney/Computer. I can see their usefulness in an emergency but I will stick with a standard physical link to the universe. I am the last hold-out in my family.  

I lie in bed beside you and watch you while you sleep And wonder who I was before I loved you Lying here beside you feeling so complete Thinking how I love and need and trust you Because I love you I'm a brand new person now because you love me I can face the world and have the cause I love you Because you love me because I love you Sweeter even still is knowing that you're lying there And let you soon awake and reach to hold me And anyway you want me that's the way that I am yours Love as strong as this lets you control me Because I love you.. Because I love you... and . . .

I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton

If I should stay
I would only be in your way
So I'll go, but I know
I'll think of you each step of the way

And I will always love you
I will always love you

Bittersweet memories
That's all I'm taking with me
Goodbye, please don't cry
We both know that I'm not what you need

But I will always love you
I will always love you

I hope life treats you kind
And I hope that you have all
That you ever dreamed of
And I wish you joy and happiness
But above all of this, I wish you love

And I will always love you
I will always love you
I will always love you

5 hours ago, caroljane said:

See what I mean, the screen just froze. why?

Carol,

I don't see what you mean.

You are presumably in your home in Canada looking at an electronic screen.

I am in my home in Illinois looking at a different electronic screen.

My screen does not display your screen and vice-versa.

So even if I wanted to see what you mean, I can't.

Hope that helps.

:)

Michael

18 hours ago, caroljane said:

iHate this iPad 

It's not the iPad's fault.

The last forum software update resulted in mobile/smartphone and tablet OL displays that do not show all the options available when this site is viewed with a full-width browser.

For an OL member viewing the main "All Activity" page (in a full-width browser on a desktop or laptop computer) ... the full set of links to such "backstage" places as  Messenger/Inbox are available. Once the "viewport" shrinks past a breakpoint (~1200 pixels) the full set of links and options disappear from view.

I've sent you a workaround, Caroljane. Basically, it's using the Messenger/Inbox URL as a bookmark. Hope that helps.

https://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/messenger/

-- a video capture of what happens in a full-width browser once it 'shrinks' past the breakpoint:

Edited by william.scherk
Orthography, added video capture

William,

Thanks for the video.

Now I see what you guys are getting at.

This happens to me on a desktop when I zoom too far in.

Here is my screen when zoomed in at 175%. (Circles in red added.)

image.png

All the parts circled in red disappear when I bump up the zoom to 200%.

image.png

Poof. All gone.

And no way to get them back without zooming out.

Also, notice that topics (first thread only shown--"Purpose of Objectivist Living...") are different in both versions, on the left and right.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am messing around with WordPress and some other site-making platform. Where there is an option to change visual details for Desktop, Tablet and Smartphone views, this kind of disappearance thing happens, especially when Desktop view gets chopped down to Smartphone view. But then, the options are in hamburger menus and so on.

With zoom, I've seen things disappear just like in the screenshots above with no shifting of the missing options to hidden menus.

I don't think there is a fix for this.

Michael

On 3/3/2021 at 12:18 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Now I see what you guys are getting at.

Cool. I am sure there is a fix for this foible. In the video below I show what I found when checking the Invision "Community" forum and a couple of others. I am not a client, so can't log in and bitch, but I did get Invision to give me two weeks of a Test Forum.

Michael, I haven't yet managed to reproduce the mystery of a Missing Hamburger Menu as administrator of the Invision test bed. I need the codenerd version of Poirot.

I believe the mystery of OL's missing Hamburger Menu can be solved.

The Invision Community forum, Objectivism Online's forum, and the virgin Invision forum demo -- all three instances have no missing "mobile menu" issue when their viewports shrink.

Why there but not here? The Invision community forum may have a useful answer.

William,

We have to choose our battles. I don't have the hours and hours I would need to haunt the material written by and for geeks on the Invision forum to resolve a small detail where a workaround is available (btw - hat tip to you for working it out :) ).

As to a support ticket, I have asked for similar things before and the answer has generally been the equivalent of, "We can't do that at this time."

My latest was about embedded social media posts and embedded videos. Since I agreed with them to cut off HTML in user posts for security reasons, I have had to rely on what the software allows to be embedded.

The IPB people did some extra coding, presumably by popular demand, and made a list of social media and video sites where posts and videos could be embedded on IPB forums by simple URL. Unfortunately, this meant Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and, if I remember correctly, a couple of others. Then those social media giant jerks started censoring pro-Trump people and even President Trump. So I made a ticket asking if it were possible to include sites like BitChute, Parler, etc., or let me know a way I could do that and I got the answer that this can't be done under the software's current configuration.

I could use HTML for my own posts, but since users can't, I believe doing so would not be fair. As a poster, my value is to keep myself to the same restrictions as everybody else. (I only use my superpowers as traffic cop or to fix some forum problem. :) )

From my view right now, this fickle hamburger is a thankless battle that will take a lot of time and effort and with very little return.

Sorry...

Michael

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

From my view right now, this fickle hamburger is a thankless battle that will take a lot of time and effort and with very little return.

I was able to join the Invision Community forum, and am trying to understand the admin-side of my Invision Test forum -- if I am able to find a straightforward solution to the Hamburger Menu Mystery, I'll share it with you.

• Smile 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2021 at 1:08 AM, caroljane said:
  •  
  •  

William wrote, long ago, "It's not the iPad's fault."

OL was behaving erratically and slowly for me, until a couple of hours ago. When I shut all other portals up on my machine like "files" suddenly OL started working at its usual speed.

On an unrelated note, Powerball's take home after taxes, now exceeds 100 million dollars.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

William wrote, long ago, "It's not the iPad's fault."

OL was behaving erratically and slowly for me, until a couple of hours ago. When I shut all other portals up on my machine like "files" suddenly OL started working at its usual speed.

On an unrelated note, Powerball's take home after taxes, now exceeds 100 million dollars.

Peter, let's go partners on a few tickets.

Your favourite Canadian cannot buy tickets here.

Peter,

I got an update from IPB earlier today and applied it.

There was a cookie problem on the IPB side.

They sent a patch and I ran it the moment I received it. Since you never see this, let me give you a peek backstage.

Here is what the notice looks like to me.

image.png

It's even worse on my Administrator dashboard.

image.png

(I did the screenshots for IPB since there was an issue when they sent this to me. They fixed it right away.)

Since I applied the patch about 6 hours ago (about 2 hours from when you posted), that might be related to the problem you had.

Maybe your cookies did not like the IPB cookies or browser or maybe they thought you were ugly or something.

On my end, nothing changed, but different machines and configurations respond to coding differently.

Hell, maybe it was the Russians or Ukrainians or Chinese...

Michael

On 6/17/2023 at 6:34 PM, Marc said:

Your favourite Canadian cannot buy tickets here.

Maybe for an ABBA reunion. I saw they were going to have an ABBA tribute band locally, but I probably won't go. My wife and family recently saw a Marty Stuart show, but I doubt anyone in Canada knows who he is, plus you spell favorite with a "u." joke.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Maybe your cookies did not like the IPB cookies or browser or maybe they thought you were ugly or something.

Thanks Michael. This site is working just fine again.