I Just Can't...

Michael Stuart Kelly

On 8/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

It's not either-or. Felt emotions cause facial muscles to articulate an expression. But articulating an emotional expression and holding if for a while causes the emotion to be felt.

If you're feeling happy, you smile. If you're feeling, say, grumpy and you plaster a smile on your face and keep it in place, pretty soon you start feeling happy. It may not last depending on how intensely grumpy you are, but it does happen that way.

I'm posting the article below for no particular reason. It popped up in a news feed and reminded me of this thread..

Smiling more often — even faking it — ‘tricks’ your brain into feeling happy, study finds

This study from Australia is kinda late to the party (like really late), and even the chomping on a pencil part is old news (they used a pen), but there it is.

Go Australia. Killing it with oldies but goodies while trying to keep a captive population from going batshit crazy in confinement. (Seriously, the article actually talks about the coronavirus. :) )

At least this knowledge is spreading in the general public.

Michael

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Go Australia. Killing it with oldies but goodies while trying to keep a captive population from going batshit crazy in confinement. (Seriously, the article actually talks about the coronavirus. :) )

That reminds me of a movie and a real life pseudoscientific instance where someone listened to radio static coming from "the galaxy." Listen long enough, trying to make sense of any of the noise, and you will start hearing patterns . . . and then words . . . and then it's ET on the line!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 3:08 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

If anyone is interested in another message from Cardi B...

Candace Owens sure as hell isn't.

Candace was mostly talking about Biden being interviewed by Cardi B here how pandering that was (she says people like him think blacks are so stupid they'll easily fall for this), but the video below is what she was referring to in the text of the tweet, the part about Ben Shapiro's commentary that caused a splash all over the Internet and a flood of memes.

The video set to start at the correct spot, but in case that doesn't happen, go to 49:27.

At 53:30, Ben starts reading the lyrics of WAP.

I was with him until he started giving Cardi B advice on her vaginal secretions. Then I lost it.

:) 

Maybe he was being tongue-in-cheek, but even I can see a scenario where he was just uptight and sincerely trying to be helpful in a superior looking down his nose kind of way.

Both versions are hilarious.

However, Candace is not amused...

Michael

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

However, Candace is not amused...

Looks like Cardi B got her feelings hurt, so Candace is now schooling her.

(Instagram doesn't embed well, so this is Candace's tweet with the Instagram link. I suppose I could post the link myself, but this way is cooler. :) )

Michael

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, of course, the catfight starts.

This actually shows the power of music. Candace had no way to get her message in front of most of Cardi B's massive public.

But now she's there and I bet many will like her over time.

I can't say the same for Candace's fans coming around to Cardi B.

Michael

I just watched this.

It was the initial response of Cardi B to Candace.

(Hmmm... I guess Instagram does embed more or less OK here on OL. :) )

Man, is Cardi B triggered.

Sorry, there's no Cardi B translator module here on OL. :) 

But man is she mad. She's so triggered she had to get this video out without taking time to put on makeup, so she just threw a towel over her head. :) Or maybe pointed the phone at a pillow... or something... I don't know...

I know this.

Candace is in Cardi B's head and ain't coming out soon.

Michael

Here is something in the Cardi B Joe Biden interview I didn't think about.

Candace just told Tucker that Cardi B was chosen by Biden's handlers to do his coming out of the basement interview precisely because she was practically illiterate. That means she had popularity, but would not ask difficult questions that could embarrass Biden due to his cognitive decline.

Her point was that there were plenty of intelligent black people--on the left and right--to interview the presidential candidate. Why choose a person with little to no education whose only claim to fame was singing about genitalia?

Candace also said Cardi B deleted a 9 tweet rant about Candace.

I'm trying to find it, but I don't have much time to look.

But, still.

Wow.

Michael

• 5 months later...
On 8/8/2020 at 6:28 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I was looking at YouTube and decided to check out the number one trending video on the platform for today.

It's a music video called "Cardi B - WAP feat. Megan Thee Stallion"

So I fired it up and clicked play.

Ehhhhhgggg...

I'm not going to embed it. But here is the link.

I figure this thread is a great place for the following news.

Six Dr. Seuss Books Are Dropped After Review Finds Imagery Offensive

:evil: 

Michael

I saw the one image of "Chinamen" and from an Asian perspective it is offensive. And now that I am "woke" it is offensive to me. I have lived in the orient but I think I always thought of that book as just cartoon-ish but if I saw Africans being drawn as savages like in that . . . Remember that Little Rascals short where the African cannibal keeps saying, "Yum yum, eat'em up?"   

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

I saw the one image of "Chinamen" and from an Asian perspective it is offensive. And now that I am "woke" it is offensive to me. I have lived in the orient but I think I always thought of that book as just cartoon-ish but if I saw Africans being drawn as savages like in that . . . Remember that Little Rascals short where the African cannibal keeps saying, "Yum yum, eat'em up?"   

Peter,

Have you noticed that all of this is aimed at removing free speech from people?

It's all about power, not justice...

I come from Hillbilly roots and grew up in a trailer park. When I see entertainment mocking that, or listen to elitists mocking that with stereotypes just as obnoxious as anything done against any of their pet oppressed classes, I'm not outraged in a woke-like manner where I want to destroy their lives and wipe them from the face of the earth. Instead, I ignore it, sometimes even laugh, and I do things with my life like study, write, build OL, and so on.

Besides, I don't think in collectivist terms for my morality.

Woke is for control freaks.

Productive achievement is for rational individuals.

Also, Dr. Seuss rocks, even the stuff they are rewriting out of history. Censoring him and burning his books (metaphorically) is horseshit.

To repeat what I said earlier, has there ever been a case in history where those who burned books and censored opposing views were the good guys?

Anyway, let's get back to our young people studying Cardi B's opinion of her pussy, sleeping with snakes and butchering the English language...

That's who the people who burn Dr. Seuss's books hold up as proper culture for young people. That's who they want interviewing their presidential candidate.

High rational achievement and all that... right?

Michael

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

High rational achievement and all that... right?

Thanks for the info. I mentioned this before, I had a girlfriend in Korea and one day after hearing a GI use the word "gook" to describe Asians she asked me to explain it. I could remember "gooks" in the Popeye cartoons and I tried to explain to her that they were large goonish people who really had nothing to do with Asians. That's all I had folks!

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Thanks for the info. I mentioned this before, I had a girlfriend in Korea and one day after hearing a GI use the word "gook" to describe Asians she asked me to explain it. I could remember "gooks" in the Popeye cartoons and I tried to explain to her that they were large goonish people who really had nothing to do with Asians. That's all I had folks!

Yeah... American soldiers had pet names for the enemies they fought. Are Germans still outraged that they were called krauts?

As I read it, you were there in Korea, so you know the enemy had some pet derogatory names for American soldiers, too. Dogs, devils and so on. Fat, dumb and ugly is quite common as a slur against Americans in general.

Looking this up is hard because the search engines only want to focus on racism from the black or Indian perspective. And finding racist terms against whites, like "cracker" is just as hard.

So the search engines are trash. And here in America, we only get one side of the story. I learned that by living it in Brazil.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall many bad names for Americans by Brazilians because they generally admire Americans. But I have seen young women refer to certain kinds of aggressive American males as Vikings (which is derogatory in their meaning--stupid, foul-smelling and uncultured) or troglodytes. I never had the honor of being called that myself... :) 

Michael

29 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I never had the honor of being called that myself... 

Maybe you should have walked up behind them and sniffed their hair like Joe does. I bet Jill was thrilled with him when that business came out. Onward! How stimulating. Under the plan passed by the House, individuals earning up to $75,000 per year and couples making up to $150,000 per year would qualify for the full $1,400 stimulus payment. The size of the payments then begins to scale down before zeroing out for individuals making $100,000 per year and couples making $200,000.

13 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Just for the record, I've never been able to stand Dr. S's books. 

I remember babysitting as a teen and reading his books to children, and then I read them to my girls as they were growing up. At a certain age they don't seem relevant to a child but for the parent, it is a lot of fun hamming it up with Doctor Seuss. Try reading one you find online as if you were reading it to a four year old and I bet it would be fun.   

This is something I wrote back in 2015. Peter

Majel Roddenberry’s COMPUTER VOICE: Warning. Inner hull failure imminent on decks twenty-three, twenty-four, and twenty-five. Decompression danger . . . ARI will detonate a photon torpedo in 10 seconds. 

Commander Brant from the Borg ship: We are the Borg. This proposed abomination would be legally blocked unless the characters were from Anthem. A dozen Jack Reacher books? Who needs them? A dozen Doctor Seuss books? Why. Sequels? What possible good could come from this? Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. So what if the new Mission Impossible is going to make a quarter of a billion dollars and is well received by the critics? Creativity and character development must stop with the first version.

DATA to Captain Picard: I successfully planted a command in the Randroid collective consciousness, sir. It misdirected them to believe it was time to regenerate. In effect, I put them all to sleep.

Captain Picard: Commander Brant, you are feeling sleeeeepy. But before you doze off don’t you think a book chronicling what happens after the final page of Atlas Shrugged would be well read? And using younger prototypes of Dagny, Francisco, John, and even Eddy Willers a wonderful juvenile intro to Atlas Shrugged could be written. Before it is too late, reason with the Borg Queen.   

On 3/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

To repeat what I said earlier, has there ever been a case in history where those who burned books and censored opposing views were the good guys?

I am not the only one saying this.

I read it, though, much earlier. So I am not attributing it to Kevin. I am happy he posted it because that means this phrase is spreading.

It's the kind of pithy thought that catches on and prompts changes for the good.

Or, as Dr. Seuss said:

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!

Michael

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

From Fox Business News: You can still buy “Hitler Legos” and “Mein Kompf” on EBAY but 6 Doctor Seuss books are banned.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Naughty. On a site called Etsy you can see the "Mary Poppin's" star Julie Andrews topless. In was from a movie called S.O.B. and was directed by her husband.   

Peter,

I remember seeing that film a long time ago. It's funny because the thing that stuck in my mind was a scene before Julie Andrews did the dirty deed. In my memory, she was plastered, falling all over herself, laughing and saying mischievously, as if to herself, "I'm going to show my boobies..." :) 

That may be accurate or not. It's how I remember it. Now for the funny part. I can't conjure up the image of Julie topless. Not even a vague ghost of a scene. There's nothing there in my memory...

I guess her boobies didn't leave much of an impression on me back then. WTF?

Now I'm going to have to see the goddam movie again...

Michael