This scene still gives me goose bumps....

Peter,

Here you go.

Also, I came across the following for the first time the other day and was blown away.

Instead of using a mask, Antonio Bandera uses his dangerous feline eyes. 

And Sarah is perfect.

One hell of an interpretation.

When I hear this, the groove of the song turns into a earworm for me that lasts days.

:)

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

When I hear this, the groove of the song turns into a earworm for me that lasts days.

Thanks Michael. It's after one AM here so I will wait until tomorrow to play it. I didn't add "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" to the sad song thread because after hearing it I don't feel sad.   

Okay. You might suspect this is a “chick flick.” But it is more than that, and it seems like it could have been written by John Grisham. It was produced by Reese Witherspoon. I highly recommend it. Peter

The movie, which is set to star Normal People's Daisy Edgar-Jones with Witherspoon 45, producing, will debut in theaters on June 24, 2022. Where the Crawdads Sing is based on the New York Times bestselling novel of the same name written by Delia Owens. The book follows Kya, who gets abandoned by her family as a young girl living among the marsh in North Carolina. She learns to fend for herself, refusing to go to school and instead teaching herself about the nature that surrounds her and taking reading lessons from a local boy who becomes Kya's first love. Kya's deep understanding of the environment where she grew up helps her become a best-selling author of nature almanacs.

• 2 weeks later...

From The Net. The Empress is an upcoming German Netflix Original historical romantic drama series written by Katharina Eyssen and based on the early life and romance of Empress Elisabeth of Austria . . . .

We have watched several episodes and they were excellent. The acting is wonderful and of course it is in English. and I can hardly tell it is dubbed. Excellent job. You might want to look up some of the history of that time before the first world war.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

... I can hardly tell it is dubbed...

Peter,

I used to work professionally at dubbing (in Brazil).

I came across this and it is some of the best dubbing I have seen.

y58oNp3UXNlj_640x360.jpg
WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

I tried to get a Twitter embed, but Twitter keeps removing this 13 second video as soon as someone puts it up. But people keep putting it up and it is all over the place.

At least on Bitchute it will stay up.

:)

Michael

• 5 weeks later...

It’s the day after Halloween, but we watched the spooky movie “Winchester” last night. I thought it was very well done. Peter

From Wikipedia: Winchester (also known as Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built) is a 2018 supernatural horror film directed by Michael and Peter Spierig, and written by the Spierigs and Tom Vaughan. The film stars Helen Mirren as heiress Sarah Winchester, with Jason Clarke and Sarah Snook, and follows Winchester as she is haunted by spirits inside her San Jose mansion in 1906.

An American-Australian co-production, the film was released in the United States on February 2, 2018 and in Australia on February 22, 2018. The film received negative reviews from critics, who called it "dull" and "pointless”, but was a box office success, grossing $44 million worldwide against a $3.5 million budget.[4] At the 39th Golden Raspberry Awards, the film was nominated in four categories, including Worst Picture and Worst Actress for Mirren, but failed to "win" any awards.

“Weird Al” Yankovic on How Daniel Radcliffe Was Able to “Capture the Spirit” of His Character in ‘Weird: The Al Yankovic Story’ . . . It wasn’t as important to Yankovic that Radcliffe wasn’t an “exact physical doppelganger” because the film is meant to be a parody of biopics, and it was more important for the star to be able to grasp that than to look exactly like the main character.

Daniel Radcliffe’s performance is great. Peter

I went looking for some ratings or reviews and found the following from Rotten Tomatioes.

He played the titular character in "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story" (2022). Rotten Tomatoes score90%  Summary: The biopic "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story" explores the life and career of Al Yankovic (Radcliffe) as he rose to fame for his popular parodies. Although the film stretches the truth, most critics enjoyed the entertaining creative liberties it took with Radcliffe at the helm. Jordan Hoffman wrote for Vanity Fair, "'Weird: The Al Yankovic Story' is a light and amusing romp very in much in tune with the dorky-and-proud aesthetic that has made its subject an unlikely household name. It's also about as real of a movie as a 'Weird Al' album is real music."

I think there is lot we can find and cherish in movies “un-liked’ by the elites. Peter

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.”

“There Is Courage Also, And Honor To Be Found In Men.”

“There's Some Good In This World, Mr. Frodo, And It's Worth Fighting For.”

“A Wizard Is Never Late, Frodo Baggins. Nor Is He Early.”

And my favorite. “I Can't Carry It For You, But I Can Carry You.”

From “The Lord of the Rings.”

• 2 months later...

I found an article about memorable movie lines, and I put some of my favorites below.

From The Wizard of Oz: ”The Scarecrow's line "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?' 

Apocalypse Now: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: "Party on, dudes!"

Ghostbusters: “Who ya gonna call?

The Terminator: "I'll be back"

Casablanca: "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

I came across this, “Here are 12 of the Best Actor Transformations of All Time.” And here are a few that I picked out.

Christian Bale — Vice / This actor is one of Hollywood's biggest chameleons. Among Christian Bale's most striking transformations was the role of Dick Cheney in Vice

Brendan Fraser — The Whale

Robert De Niro — Raging Bull

Jim Carrey — How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Tom Hanks, lost significant weight for his role in Cast Away

Brad Pitt — The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Robin Williams — Mrs. Doubtfire

• Smile 1

• 6 months later...

I recommend the movie, “Let Him Go,” starring Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane. It takes place in the 1950’s and there are vintage cars with fins, families, horses, prairies, and ranches but I would not call it “A Western.” It is not classified in the horror genre either. But with reservations, I think it could be considered a nightmarish, horror movie. It is riveting and for people with a strong stomach. The scenes will stick with you. 

Peter,

For a Western horror, I saw Bone Tomahawk (with Kurt Russell) the other day. (Kat won't watch these kinds of movies with me, so I had to go it alone. :) )

It was like one of those stories at the turn of last century where a person goes on a journey into the jungle and discovers a lost tribe of killers. The lost tribe in Bone Tomahawk was especially viscous and scary.

They couldn't speak a word of English and were mostly naked except for loin-cloths and a blue powder coloring their bodies. The other Indian tribes, who called them Troglodytes, couldn't stand them. How on earth Indians in the 1800s can come up with a word like Troglodyte is beyond me, but there it is. At least the Troglodytes knew enough to keep the damsel in distress caged separately and looking good. :) 

Also, I agree with you about The Lincoln Lawyer. I saw it and it was excellent. I read the books, too (there are not that many), and they give an even better Mickey Haller. Also, I like his half-brother, Bosch, the quirky sourpuss crusader... :) 

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The forthcoming miniseries All the Light We Cannot See — based on Anthony Doerr’s award-winning novel of the same name — is shaping up to be as heartbreaking (and beloved) as its source material. And if you weren’t already planning on tuning in to the four-part adaptation, the all-star, award-winning duo of Mark Ruffalo and Hugh Laurie was just tapped to join the cast. end quote

It is on Netflix and it was riveting, though violent at times. I think all four episodes last around three and a half hours and they have a huge production budget and wonderful special effects. It takes place in Nazi occupied France. We watched it all in one night. I highly recommend it. Peter

• 4 weeks later...

“Retribution” from 2023. We saw it on Prime and it cost a few bucks to see. It was definitely not your usual Liam Neeson film. I highly recommend it but also recommend you do not watch it late at night because it is so “gut wrenching.”

“Retribution” starring Liam Neeson. From Wikipedia: Matt Turner works as a financier at Nanite Capital under his friend and CEO Anders Muller and lives with his wife, Heather, and two children, Emily and Zach, in Berlin.  

• 3 months later...

We really enjoyed “The Holdovers” with Paul Giamatti. It was $5.99 on Paramount but excellent at any price.

NEW YORK – Paul Giamatti can’t stop thinking about the Roman Empire.

It’s a lifelong fascination that found its way into “The Holdovers,” for which he earned a best actor Oscar nomination playing a cantankerous ancient history teacher. So when we meet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on a recent frosty morning, the beloved star is eager to peruse the Greek and Roman galleries. He marvels at a serpentine bronze strigil – a fourth-century skin care tool – and stops to point out a flinty marble bust from the Julio-Claudian period.

• 3 months later...

We watched “The Grey” a film from 2012, on Paramount tonight. It stars Liam Neeson. It is a very gritty survivalist story, but I would recommend it . . . if you have a strong stomach.