This scene still gives me goose bumps....

• 1 year later...

The best horror movie of all time? Condensed dialogue from “The Sixth Sense.”

Cole Sear: I'm ready to tell you my secret now.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe: Okay.

Cole Sear: Come closer.

Cole Sear: I see dead people. They don't know they're dead.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe: Where are they?

Cole Sear: Everywhere.

Cole Sear: Stuttering Stanley!

Stanley Cunningham: Excuse me.

Cole Sear: You talk funny when you went to school and you talk funny all the way to high school! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! . . . .

Stanley Cunningham: SHUT UP . . . YOU. . . FREAK!

Cole Sear: She wanted me to tell you she saw you dance. She said, when you were little, you and her had a fight, right before your dance recital. You thought she didn't come see you dance. She did. She hid in the back so you wouldn't see. She said you were like an angel. She said you came to the place where they buried her. Asked her a question? She said the answer is . . . 'Every day.' What did you ask?

Lynn Sear: Do . . .  Do I make her proud? 

• 2 weeks later...

“Next!”  Is there such a thing as destiny, fate, or causal *determinism*? I saw a movie tonight on Netflix that explores those themes and the answer is “No.” *Volition* exists and it matters. The movie was “Next,” with Nicolas Cage. But you need to suspend your disbelief as Edgar Allen Poe said and accept one basic premise; the character’s ability to know what is going to happen in the very near future. But can he change what is to occur?   

From Wikipedia. ”Next”: Las Vegas showroom magician Cris Johnson has a secret which torments him: he can see a few minutes into the future. Sick of the examinations he underwent as a child and the interest of the government . . . .” end quote

The movie is Science Fiction and it is intelligent and riveting. Any Fan of Rand, any scientist or any determinist should watch that movie and ask themselves “Where does the plot go wrong?” Peter

Notes. Nicolas Cage's lineage includes Hollywood royalty, so he changed his surname to distance himself from his über-famous director uncle and to avoid the appearance of nepotism. His famous family's surname? Coppola.

• 1 year later...

The action scenes rival a James Bond  movie but the acting is better. It has an all star cast. t was very enjoyable to my wife and I and I can't stop thinking about it.  The movie is  "The Accountant." 

More Ben Affleck and many scenes gave me goose bumps. “Gone Baby Gone,” 2007. I had a tough time with this movie but I do recommend it. As an objectivist and fan of Rand it had so many morally questionable acts I was floored. It was the first movie Ben Affleck directed. What do you think?

From Rotten Tomatoes. Ben Affleck's adaptation of Dennis Lehane's novel Gone, Baby, Gone stars Casey Affleck as Patrick Kenzie, a private investigator from working-class Boston who takes on a case involving a kidnapped girl. The girl's aunt begs Patrick to take the case because he has connections to criminal Boston that the police do not. He agrees and along with his partner, Angie Gennaro (Michelle Monaghan), they uncover a web of corruption that threatens the relationship between the two. Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman co-star as members of the Boston Police Department. ~ Perry Seibert, Rovi

"77 Sunset Strip." I was watching a bit of the newer (93?) “Fugitive” movie with Harrison Ford just now. I started thinking about old TV shows that probably can’t be shown today because they are too Un PC. When I looked the following up I did not remember Connie Stevens was the female lead singer.

Weird lyrics? "Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" is a song written by Irving Taylor and performed by Edward Byrnes and Connie Stevens. It reached No. 4 on the U.S. pop chart, No. 27 on the UK Singles Chart, and No. 30 on the U.S. R&B chart in 1959.[1] The song was featured on Byrnes' 1959 album, Kookie Star of "77 Sunset Strip".[2] It was based on Byrnes' character from the television show, 77 Sunset Strip. The song is mostly spoken, except when Kookie sings the bridge section: "I've got smog in my noggin' ever since you made the scene...", and makes use of Beatnik slang. Connie continually interrupts him, asking him to lend her his comb. When he finally asks her, "What's with this comb caper, baby?...", she says she wants him to stop combing his hair and kiss her. Kookie likes the sound of that, ending up saying, "Baby, you're the ginchiest!".

Lyrics. Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Well now, let's take it from the top and grab some wheels
We're well along and talk about some cuckoo deals
But Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Now you're on the way, miss, and I'm readin' you just fine
Don't cut out of here till we get on Cloud Nine
But Kookie, Kookie?
I've got smog in the noggin ever since you made the scene
You're the utmost
If you ever tool me out
Dead, I'm the saddest, like a brain
The very utmost
Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Man, I got my British lighters and my flapsy-colored pen
You're gonna send me to that planet called
You know it, baby, the end

Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
If you ever cut out, you might be a stray cat
'Cause when I'm flyin' solo, nowhere's we're on that!
Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
What's with this comb caper, baby?
Why do you wanna latch up with my comb?
I just want you to stop combing your hair and kiss me
You're the maximum utmost
Well, I'm beat and I'm dreams goin', I'm movin' right now
'Cause that's the kind of scene that I dig
Baby, you're the ginchiest!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just started watching “Outlander” on Netflix. I believe it was first broadcast in 2014 and there are many seasons of it. A lot of names from the Star Trek franchise had a hand in this!  Wow. It is gory and it is x rated sexy. But the stars are excellent and the stories are first class. So, do you want to know what it was like in Scotland in the 1700’s? I dinna recommend you watch an episode after 10 pm. You will dream about it laddies and lassies. And you might want to have sex.  

The theme to Outlander is the “Skye Boat Song” and it is a good version.  But the best is a duet by Roger Whittaker and Des O’Connor from 1986, on the album Shenandoah.  Roger does a bit too much of his famous whistling but about a minute and half in Des O’Connor begins to sing . . . and the rest is history. It is the best version ever. Peter  

I hereby withdraw my recommendation to watch “Outlander.” It was always violent but around the 13th or 14th episode the violence and long, drawn out sadism became overbearing. Realistic torture and sadism dominate and it is disgusting. I told someone who had seen all the episodes about my thinking and without giving anything away they said it doesn’t get that bad again.

edit. The first critic I came to when looked on the web said he was paid to view otherwise he might not. He gives away a lot of spoilers but I will only say sadism, sadism, sadism, and rape after rape after rape occur, so it may get worst from the last episode I watched.

I just wanted to mention that we started watching Outlander again and it hasn’t been so bad. They are in France and so far they have been relatively decent shows with beautiful houses and lush, green backgrounds. I won’t give anything else away.

I may have mentioned this before but on another front I wanted to congratulate Jimmy Fallon on the new Tonight Show theme. It reminds me of the theme song to the TV show, The Odd Couple.   

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I just wanted to mention that we started watching Outlander again and it hasn’t been so bad.

Peter,

Kat's been watching Outlander. I haven't. She was liking it. But then Sean hoodwinked her into watching Once Upon a Time with him. So she'll have to get back to Outlander after that's over. No time for more. [EDIT: Oops, she saw it all and stopped because they stopped making it due to the virus. She just now told me some parts were great, but others were not good because they went way too much overboard.)

I, myself, tried to get into these fantasies. But I think I like shootouts with guns and explosions and chase scenes in vehicles more. :) 

Actually, storytelling-wise, I saw Homecoming recently and it was one of the most interesting series I ever watched. (Only half-hour episodes, too.) Not the first season (with Julia Roberts), which was based on a narrative podcast and good, but the second. This second season was a palindrome with a most satisfying ending, but you have to see the first season for it to make proper sense. There was even a bit of SJW shit in it and I didn't mind since they did it right and showed it, but kept it out of the real story.

I am going to watch both seasons again. The writers of that series really know how to set up plot twists.

The only real complaint I have is they did some artsy-fartsy thing at the end of each episode and lingered on a background scene for several minutes where nothing happens. Like a road at night and a car sporadically passes by. Things like that. They really did that.

It's supposed to be profound, I guess, since amnesia is involved in the theme. But it came off to me as a bullshit way to tell the story. (In other words, it's great to use symbols, but don't make symbolism itself the story.) Happily, once that ending nothingburger starts, you can simple turn it off and go to the next episode. 

Michael

• 4 months later...

I highly recommend “I Care a Lot.” It has violence and at times it seemed like a true life, psychological horror flick, yet it was riveting. There are TWO anti-heroes who are also at times, heroes. So, you have been warned. I thought the stars were “right for the parts,” Rosamund Pike was especially cringe worthy to my surprise.  Peter Dinklage's character reminded me of him in "Game of Thrones." You begin to sympathize with them both as you are also appalled. Peter    

tbl: Netflix's 'I Care A Lot' is a Good Movie With Bad Hair and Peter Dinklage Doing Gymnastics.

I am in no way religious but give it a listen. Talk about soothing. Shhh. Give it a listen.

[Mary Magdalene (Sarah Brightman):]
Try not to get worried
Try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you
(oh) Don't you know
Everything's alright
Yes everything's fine
And we want you to sleep well tonight
Let the world turn without you tonight
If we try
We'll get by
So forget all about us tonight

[Apostles' Women:]
Everything's all right
Yes everything's all right yes

[Mary Magdalene:]
Sleep and I shall soothe you
Calm you and anoint you
Myrrh for your hot forehead
(oh) Then you'll feel
Everything's all right
Yes everything's fine
And it's cool and the ointment's sweet
For the fire in your head and feet
Close your eyes
Close your eyes
And relax
Think of nothing tonight

[Apostles' Women:]
Everything's all right
Yes everything's all right yes

I would give it a C grade. “The Highwaymen” The untold true story of the legendary detectives who brought down Bonnie and Clyde. Stars:  Kevin CostnerWoody HarrelsonKathy Bates . . .

And this one, I would give it a C minus or maybe even a D grade. It was just TOO "goody two shoes."  “Free State of Jones is a 2016 American historical war film inspired by the life of Newton Knight and his armed revolt against the Confederacy in Jones County, Mississippi, throughout the American Civil War. Written and directed by Gary Ross, the film stars Matthew McConaugheyGugu Mbatha-RawMahershala Ali, and Keri Russell.

• 1 month later...

“The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society,” starring Lily James formerly of "Cinderella" and of course, she also played Lady Rose on "Downton Abbey." Don’t let the whimsical name mislead you. There is a reason for the title. The island of Guernsey is British territory in the English Channel, near France, and the time is the beginning of WWII. This movie is highly recommended by me.  

• 3 weeks later...

We watched Julian Fellowes (who created “Downton Abbey’s”) new show called “Doctor Thorne.” It was a four part series and we watched all four parts one after the other. There may be more to follow if this one makes money. It didn’t have the budget of “Downton Abbey” but it was still jolly well done using upper class houses from the Victorian Era as “lots.”

There’s some romance and upper class does and don’t throughout the plot. Yet after the first show I was hooked. You care about the protagonists. You care about their situations: There are some decent aristocrats losing their wealth with the passage of time. Other snobbish British aristocrats make you want to despise them. And an American heiress is thrown into the plot.

Highly recommended. Peter

• 4 weeks later...

The Highest-paid Movie And TV Roles Of All Time. Bruce Willis—$120 million for “The Sixth Sense.” Not only did Bruce Willis ask for his usual $20 million salary to star in the 1999 hit “The Sixth Sense,” he also negotiated to receive a percentage of the movie’s gross revenue and video sales, a move that netted him an additional $100 million.

• 4 weeks later...

Goosebumps anyone? I see Helen Hunt is all in for a sequel to “Twister.” Her original idea was for a black and brown cast but that was shot down. And for a sequel with Helen Hunt she would need someone to replace the deceased Bill Paxton.    

In early 2017, Bill Paxton stated in an interview with Marc Maron on WTF with Marc Maron that he had a damaged heart valve, which resulted from rheumatic fever which he contracted at the age of 13. Paxton underwent open-heart surgery to repair the damaged heart valve and his aorta on February 14, 2017. Eleven days later, on February 25, 2017, at age 61, Paxton died of a stroke.

• 1 year later...

A place in film? Visit The Badlands in South Dakota. IT’S APPEARED IN BLOCKBUSTERS. If you’re unable to visit Badlands National Park in person, you can see it on film as the backdrop of some popular movies. At the beginning of the 1990 film Dances With Wolves starring Kevin Costner, the park is used as the setting for part of Lieutenant Dunbar’s wagon trek. The otherworldly terrain has even appeared in science fiction. In Starship Troopers (1997), the landscape stands in for an alien planet of man-eating bugs. It’s used as the surface of an asteroid in the 1998 film Armageddon.

• 1 month later...

“The Age of Adaline.” Harrison Ford is in it, but it stars Blake Lively.

It is riveting though it starts with a narration that sounds like Rod Serling, Give it a chance and you will be enthralled.

A young woman, born at the turn of the 20th century, is rendered ageless after an accident. After many solitary years, she meets a man who complicates the eternal life she has settled into. Scifi at its best. Peter

• 5 weeks later...

I truly enjoyed this film though it is not ”objectivist” or Hollywood but it was very truthful about growing up. It takes a while to get to you. It is not romantic. It is a bit of a downer, but I took the time to recommend it.

The 2018 film Dumplin’ saw Jennifer Aniston portraying Rosie Dickson, a former beauty queen who is challenged when her plus-sized daughter signs up for the beauty pageant she’s running as a protest against the beauty standards imposed on young girls. Aniston was funny and somewhat endearing as Rosie—we could watch this performance over and over again!

• 2 weeks later...

I have mentioned it several times, but I just re-listened to this song from The Phantom of the Opera, “Wishing you were somehow here again” written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, (now Baron Lloyd-Webber) and sung by his former wife, Sarah Brightman.