Frank O'Connor

Nov. 9th. marked the 37th. anniversary of Frank O'Connor's death. Here's a remembrance from The Atlas Society:

http://atlassociety.org/commentary/commentary-blog/6101-5-things-to-know-about-frank-o-connor-ayn-rand-s-husband

A "dope"? Dunno. Different brain function than his wife and lower testosterone than an alpha male. Generally a brainiac doesn't want another brainiac for a mate for brainiacs tend to bounce off each other. And alphas--Rand was an alpha for the ages, but not an alpha male of course--bounce off alphas, except in military situations where men are buffered by discipline and rank and the need to kill the enemy's alphas. In the personal setup, everybody essentially got what they wanted even if lying was necessary to make it all work. Then Nathaniel Branden stopped lying, leaving Ayn Rand with the truth. Brutal.

--Brant

Wolf,

Frank O'Connor wasn't a dope.

He was an average person who had good taste and a good heart.

Ayn Rand projected her brand of heroism on him. He ignored that and loved her anyway.

A dope to me is a stupid person (someone who causes loss to others and gains nothing or even causes loss to himself).

If I ever wanted to use hyperbole or a metaphor to denote Frank's average Joe nature, I would say he was a small potato, but I would say it affectionately. :)

Michael

28 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Wolf,

LOL...

I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole...

I have my own demons haunting me, thank you very much...

:)

Michael

so I change my characterization of Frank O'Connor accordingly -- a nice fellow, sort of my antithesis in that way

the Alpha nature of Rand was a shrewd comment, explains several of my marriages

Frank is a bit of a mystery to me, I wander how much of a connection there is between him and Francisco d'Anconia.

I also question whether he influenced Rand's earlier writings (she mentioned that she'd heard Frank's ideas and rejected them as ridiculous, but her whole Hickman based story was pretty ridiculous too).

FWIW Frank was an atheist before he met Ayn Rand.  Given the attitudes of that era I would say that fact alone put him well above average in both intelligence and courage.