FOUNDERS COLLEGE

I just started a thread by that name on SoloP about Gary Hull's new Founders College. It's odd that I would be praising it before Marsha Enright's new college, since I don't get along well with Gary Hull at all....and I like Marsha and have known Marsha a long time.

But to evaluate something, you have to see its exact curriculum...and now that GH has spelled it out, I like his for the reasons I explain on SP. I may like Marsha's once I see the precise details...but I can't yet visualize how the Socratic method and Great Books curriculum is going to translate into a spelled-out detailed curriculum, itemized in the formal and precise way Gary does it on his website. And I've taught in the classical, more traditional approach of Founder's College, so I know that works.

(I tend to use the Socratic Method a lot and to use Great Books a lot in my own teaching...but I don't yet know...or at least can't yet visualize how either would work in every subject or as the *total* curriculum or *exclusive* teaching method...and I don't know for sure if Marsha intends either of these to be the case.)

One advantage Marsha has is she's actually started and run a school (Montessori). One advantage Hull has is he has taught at the college level. But it's not necessary for either person to be -fully- experienced in every aspect of a new venture. Were that the case, no one would every try any bold new entrepreneurialo venture.

Of course, this is all very preliminary. One can't really evaluate *either college* since they don't yet exist.

But, on top of the previous primary and secondary schools started by Objectivists over the years, it -is- GREAT to see TWO colleges getting ready to be started by Objectivist entrepreneurs!

Here's the link to the homepage:

Founders College

Here is the Wikipedia article: Founders College.

There is a discussion about this on another forum where there are a lot of pertinent links for anyone interested.

I have nothing but praise for this venture so far. Hull and his partners are actually doing something in the real world. I am kind of amused by the reservations coming from certain orthodox quarters. It seems that the issue is control and power after all - at least for them.

I have heard many conflicting things about Dr. Hull up to now, so I don't have a real opinion of him. I know that he belongs to the ARI camp. All I can say so far is that, in addition to Phil, his venture has at least one Objectivist from the non-ARI camp (me) rooting for his success.

Michael

You can't judge an undertaking this huge by your past interactions with any one person...not even always if that person is the HNIC. A lot of people will have input and impact, including the employees of the venture. Moreover, unless your past interactions were in an area that has a bearing on starting a college...they may not be predictive of how Gary H. or Marsha E. or other principals, investors, advisors will do on this undertaking.