The Story of the Frenchman's Nose

jts

In Part 1, I will tell you just the facts, no opinions. In Part 2, I will give you my analysis.

Part 1: The Story of the Frenchman's Nose

This was told by Dr. Vetrano in a book by Dr. Shelton, one of his books that so far as I know did not yet make its way to the internet. Dr. Vetrano was Shelton's assistant.

A Frenchman in France had polyps in his nose.

There are 2 theories about polyps.

Theory #1: He was sick because he had polyps in his nose.

Theory #2: He had polyps in his nose because he was sick.

I'm not saying which is true. Maybe both are true. Maybe both are false. I'm merely saying there are these 2 theories. These 2 different theories have been applied to cancer and other diseases. Some doctors hold to one; some doctors hold to the other.

To elaborate on the theories a bit, theory #1 says all you need to do is remove the polyps (usually by surgery) and that is the end of the problem.

Theory #2 says the polyps are a local manifestation of a general body condition. So according to this theory, if all you do is remove the polyps and nothing else, you still have the general body condition that produced the polyps and you should not be terribly surprised if you get polyps again. This is not saying that removing the polyps is useless or bad, only that the general body condition remains.

To continue the story ...

The Frenchman had surgery to remove the polyps. They grew back. He had surgery again. They grew back again. He had surgery 18 times. They grew back 18 times. I am not drawing any inferences. If there are any inferences to be drawn (not saying there are), you can draw them yourself. I am merely stating the facts.

At this point the Frenchman decided he didn't want any more surgeries. So he crossed the Atlantic ocean and went from France to the USA, to Texas, to Dr. Shelton. With Shelton's help, the polyps in the Frenchman's nose went away on their own without surgery or anything other than general improvement of health and I think it's a reasonable guess if you know anything about Shelton, this involved (among other things) fasting.

The Frenchman was so grateful that he arranged a special meeting with Shelton to thank him. Shelton couldn't understand French and the Frenchman couldn't understand English, so Vetrano was translator.

During the meeting the Frenchman thanked Shelton repeatedly and shook Shelton's hand repeatedly and demonstrated repeatedly how well he could breathe thru his nose and he promised that everyone in France would hear of Dr. Shelton.

Then he went back to France. That is the end of Part 1. I stated only the facts. Next is Part 2.

Part 2: My Analysis

This tragedy of the Frenchman's nose could have been prevented by tighter laws against quackery. Shelton was so ornery that even putting him in prison was not good enough. People should not be free to decide for themselves which doctor to go to. All this talk about freedom of choice and free market is bullshit. This story is a tragic example of what can happen when government does not crack down hard enough on quacks like Shelton.

Obviously the Frenchman was not capable of rationally deciding for himself which doctor to go to. He should have been prevented from going to Shelton by force of law for his own good. Instead of going to Shelton, he should have continued getting more surgeries. What Shelton did to him was obviously criminal.

As tragic as this story is, it could have been even more tragic. What if the Frenchman had gone to Shelton from the git go and not gotten any surgeries? Then he would have been deprived of the benefits of 18 surgeries.

I like that. :smile:

There is a dominant faith associated with health issues. I call it the "Religion of Uncaused Disease". Within this religion, NOTHING we are doing could ever cause disease. ALL disease is caused by heredity, environmental pollution, bad luck... and NOTHING ELSE.

Invoking the words "behavioral causes of disease" is blasphemy which brings a shrieking headchopping jihad of denunciation upon the "infidel".

It's enculturated insanity.

Greg

Shelton suffered terribly for 13 years with Parkinson's then died at 89.

--Brant

I don't know what that has to do with the story of the Frenchman's nose.

Dr. Cinque said Shelton wrote his books at night when he should have been sleeping, and had no explanation for this "insanity" (Cinque's own word).

Shelton's own explanation for his personal health failure was "overwork", which I think meant long term chronic sleep deficiency. He didn't do what he told his patients to do, get enough sleep. (If you are always severely sleep deficient, it is only a matter of time before your health breaks, even if you know lots about health.)

Dr. Fuhrman wrote an article suggesting that Shelton had deficiency of omega 3. (It seems that with few or no exceptions, people with Parkinson's are severely deficient in omega 3.)

Zovluck said Shelton did 2 40-day fasts to beat Parkinson's and got worse each time. (Fasting doesn't work on deficiencies.)

Modern health doctors have far more knowledge than Shelton had. For example Shelton refused to take diabetics who were on insulin more than 2 years, because he considered them hopeless from the damage done by insulin. But Dr. McDougall says type 2 diabetes is 100% reversible. And Shelton considered cancer hopeless. But modern health doctors have some success reversing cancer.

So far as I know, all the vegsource doctors are healthy. I never heard of any of them getting Parkinson's. And I never saw an obese vegsource doctor, unlike the Weston Price Foundation.

The science of nutrition, which is a subset of the science of health which is hygiene, is more advanced now than it was in the time of Shelton. Shelton predicted this would happen.

A bunch of lectures by Shelton:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrHerbertShelton/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=da

Hint: Everyone dies from something.

Greg

But as Woody Allen once said:

"I'm not afraid of dying...I just don't want to be there when it happens"

It has to do with Greg's rationalizing behavior and health, Jerry, not the story. In the nature and nurture of disease etiology, there doesn't appear to be any nurture for Parkinson's. Greg's all about nurture. That's like Edison being fixated on DC.

--Brant

Brant writes: there doesn't appear to be any nurture for Parkinson's.

...that anyone will admit to yet.

Greg's all about nurture

Yes I am.

Because people blame (unjustly accuse) nature in order to excuse their nurture.

It's the cultural insanity of becoming hypnotically fixated on what you can't change in order to ignore the personal responsibility of what you can change.

Greg

It has to do with Greg's rationalizing behavior and health, Jerry, not the story. In the nature and nurture of disease etiology, there doesn't appear to be any nurture for Parkinson's. Greg's all about nurture. That's like Edison being fixated on DC.

--Brant

What are you saying? That Shelton got Parkinson's in spite of living a perfectly healthy lifestyle? Then I would reject your assumption that he lived a perfectly healthy lifestyle.

-- He was sleep deficient long term. He worked 100+ hours/week and never took vacations.

-- Helping people get well is rough on the doctor's health, or so I read.

-- He had much stress in his life, including legal battles and being in jail.

-- He ate dairy products, contrary to his own theory.

-- He wasn't "that strict" about his diet, according to one person who knew him.

-- He didn't have modern knowledge of nutrition; maybe some ground flax for the omega-3 would have been enough to prevent Parkinson's.

The fact that several of his relatives had Parkinson's suggests that he had a genetic tendency to Parkinson's. This wouldn't by itself be enough to get the disease but would require him to take extra care against getting it.