Michelle Marder Kamhi's "Who Says That's Art?"

Ellen Stuttle

On 8/9/2019 at 12:56 AM, Jon Letendre said:

Anthem was assigned reading in my high school English class. I read everything she had in print over the following year. My girlfriend, future mother of my children, wrote my favorite passage in calligraphy over a water-color in art class and it has hanged on the wall of my room, then dorm rooms, and now at home, for some 30+ years:

"I know not if this earth on which I stand is the core of the universe or if it is but a speck of dust lost in eternity. I know not and I care not. For I know what happiness is possible to me on earth. And my happiness needs no higher aim to vindicate it."

If you want to make a movie, it's in the public domain.

--Brant

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a repeat of “Young Shelden” tonight and it took place during the years video games were first played on your TV. Of course Shelden and his Meemaw, played by Annie Potts, become almost addicted. It reminds me of graphic novels as a causation factor so the following is kind of cool. The gateway to becoming a fully functioning human being, is “Anthem.” Now another nice thing to do would be to go to “CBC Young Shelden cast” and see what Annie Potts looks like without the makeup. Extraordinary. Peter

The Atlas Society's nationwide tour of the Comic Con circuit takes us to Daytona Beach, Florida this weekend! Sunday, November 3, 800 lucky visitors to the Daytona Beach Comic Con will receive a free copy of ANTHEM: The Graphic Novel! In its 18th year, the Daytona Beach Comic Convention is the original and longest running comic book, toy, and collectible convention in Daytona Beach. Hours are 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Embry-Riddle ICI Center. ANTHEM: The Graphic Novel is available on Amazon and in a pdf version on the TAS website. Watch the 18-part animated video series today on YouTube, or order the NEW DVD version below.

• 3 months later...

Hey, check this out: Auntie Kamhi is suddenly cool with artists using photography and machine-made figures in their art!

The Rehumanization of Public Art

January 23, 2020 /  Michelle Kamhi /  Contemporary art, Public Art /  3 Comments

Print This Post Print This Post

For anyone who shares my utter dismay regarding the dehumanization of public art in recent decades,1 I have good news. An extraordinarily ambitious, heartfelt, and skillful work of figurative public art is underway that communicates without the aid of an artist’s statement.

Sabin Howard - A Hero's Journey - detail

Sabin Howard, A Soldier’s Journey, first section, full-size clay model in studio prior to casting in bronze.

It is the slightly larger-than-life sculptural relief for the National World War I Memorial —designed by a very young architect, Joseph Weishaar (b. 1990), and a seasoned classical sculptor, Sabin Howard ...

_____

I responded on her blog (my response will not appear there):

Hmmm. So, now you're okay with an artist copying photos, and using computer/machine-generated figures? Apparently you've changed your position. Remember when you used to claim that artworks which relied on photography, or which were in any part made by machines, did not qualify as art by your criteria?

So, I'm interested in discovering what you've changed in your philosophy. Clearly, you've jettisoned many of your old, mistaken beliefs. Kudos to you for having the courage to do so!

Heh.

J

• Like 1

By the way, it appears that photography and 3D printing might have begun to have a positive effect on Sabin Howard's sculptures: from what I could see, it appears that one or two of his figures might actually include facial expressions other than the default ones that his models happened to be displaying while posing!

J