WW1 Photos

Joe:

Nice work.

Those are astounding.

That RR Artillwey Piece could hurl that shell over twenty (20) miles!!

A...

It was the greatest catastrophe in human history. In the words of Jim Powell (Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin And World War II):

Some 9 million people were killed, and it led to Hitler who murdered more than 20 million; led to Lenin and Stalin who murdered more than 40 million, and their disciple Chairman Mao who murdered another 35 million and caused a famine in which an estimated 27 million more died; led to World War II and another 50 million deaths. And the post-World War I settlement established the new nation of Iraq with Sunnis ruling Shiites, setting the stage for the civil war going on today.

It was the greatest catastrophe in human history. In the words of Jim Powell (Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin And World War II):

Some 9 million people were killed, and it led to Hitler who murdered more than 20 million; led to Lenin and Stalin who murdered more than 40 million, and their disciple Chairman Mao who murdered another 35 million and caused a famine in which an estimated 27 million more died; led to World War II and another 50 million deaths. And the post-World War I settlement established the new nation of Iraq with Sunnis ruling Shiites, setting the stage for the civil war going on today.

Good point. That jackass Woodrow Wilson wrecked the world so he could have his useless League of Nations.

If I had a time machine I would snuff baby Woodrow before I would snuff baby Adolph.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Joe:

Nice work.

Those are astounding.

A...

Thanks Adam.

And the recipient(s) of that shell never heard the launch.

What that battlefield was is the pinnacle of horror for me.

WWI was the European balance of power falling apart into armed conflict burning with nationalistic hubris and ruling elites' stupidity. Everything of geo-political significance hence--to today's today--is completely and deeply rooted in that war.

--Brant

Joe:

Nice work.

Those are astounding.

A...

Thanks Adam.

And the recipient(s) of that shell never heard the launch.

What that battlefield was is the pinnacle of horror for me.

Joe:

Did you ever see Paths of Glory, Kubrick's first film. Stark and powerful, black and white.

One of the great anti-war films ever.

Here is the final scene:

It certainly in the top scenes about the utter stupidiy of this type of war.

A...

Adam, never saw that film....but now I will.

The faces of those men in that clip speak volumes. Thanks for the post.

I enjoy B&W dramatic films.

Cheers

Adam, never saw that film....but now I will.

The faces of those men in that clip speak volumes. Thanks for the post.

I enjoy B&W dramatic films.

Cheers

The whole film is phenomenal.

I don't want to fuck up the plot, however please see it.

One of the great films ever made.

Cobb's novel had no title when it was finished, so the publisher held a contest.[citation needed] The winning entry came from the ninth stanza of the famous Thomas Gray poem "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard".

"The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,

And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,

Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.

The paths of glory lead but to the grave."

Paths of Glory is based loosely on the true story of four French soldiers during World War I, under General Géraud Réveilhac, executed for mutiny in Souain, France; their families sued, and while the executions were ruled unfair, two of the families received one franc each, while the others received nothing. The novel is about the French execution of innocent men to strengthen others' resolve to fight. The French Army did carry out military executions for cowardice, as did most of the other major participants, excluding the United States of America. The United States sentenced 24 soldiers to death for cowardice, but the sentences were never carried out.[4] However, a significant point in the film is the practice of selecting individuals at random and executing them as a punishment for the sins of the whole group. This is similar to the Roman practice of decimation, which was rarely used by the French Army in World War I. A little known exception is the French decimation (the shooting of every tenth person in a unit) of the 10e Compagnie of 8 Battalion of the Régiment Mixte de Tirailleurs Algériens. During the retreat, at the beginning of the war, these French-African soldiers refused an order to attack. They were shot on the 15th of December 1914, near Zillebeke in Flanders.[4]

Great great film...

Here is the wiki on the actual historical event that it was based on....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

Another reason why I despise the French....what are they 0 for 14 since Waterloo?

I love Mark Levin's labeling the Republican Establishment in the Congress as the French Republicans...

Sad to say, looks like my guy Paul Ryan joined them.

A,,,

As much as I admire Kubrick's films and Paths of Glory in particular, Humphrey Cobb's novel, on which the film is based, is a more blistering treatment of the bureaucratic mindset that produces senseless carnage. Cobb served in a Canadian unit in World War I, and his novel was aimed not at French incompetence in particular but at the self-perpetuating, self-aggrandizing nature of all large armies. Unlike Kubrick's film, Cobb's version does not give us a knight in shining armor to soften his barbs.

As much as I admire Kubrick's films and Paths of Glory in particular, Humphrey Cobb's novel, on which the film is based, is a more blistering treatment of the bureaucratic mindset that produces senseless carnage. Cobb served in a Canadian unit in World War I, and his novel was aimed not at French incompetence in particular but at the self-perpetuating, self-aggrandizing nature of all large armies. Unlike Kubrick's film, Cobb's version does not give us a knight in shining armor to soften his barbs.

Interesting. So you definitly suggest reading the book?

Who are your knights in shining armor? In fact or in fiction.

Here is the wiki on the actual historical event that it was based on....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

Another reason why I despise the French....what are they 0 for 14 since Waterloo?

I love Mark Levin's labeling the Republican Establishment in the Congress as the French Republicans...

Sad to say, looks like my guy Paul Ryan joined them.

A,,,

"French....what are they 0 for 14 since Waterloo?"...there goes another cup of coffee on the floor. Adam, want to do stand-up here in Vegas?

Sadly, looks like Paul Ryan did an Alan Greenspan....sold out his principles for power.

I ordered Paths of Glory dvd. I don't know how that one slipped thru the cracks.

Kubrick's Full Metal Metal Jacket, the basic training part of it, sure resembled what I went thru in Ft. Jackson, SC in late 1967.

-Joe