Horror File of Objectivist Living

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMCS Toronto is cruising around there keeping the peace, so don't worry about anything.

HMCS Toronto (FFH 333) is a Halifax-class frigate that has served in the Canadian Forces since 1993.

Toronto was laid down on 22 April 1989 at Saint John Shipbuilding Ltd., Saint John and launched on 18 December 1990. She was commissioned into the Canadian Forces on 29 July 1993 and carries the hull classification symbol 333. Toronto is the fourth ship in her class which is the name for the Canadian Patrol Frigate Project. She is the second vessel (and frigate) to carry the designation HMCS Toronto.

For those of us who don't speak Canadian alphabet...

• 2 weeks later...

What would the world be like if America was an isolationist country since its war of liberation from England and our Civil War? Would the world be a better place? I dont think so. We are seeing what a Hands Off President has done to our country in six short years. Are we any safer? No. Will the world be a better place if Rand Paul is elected and he becomes an isolationist President? No.

In my best Jack Nicholson imitation I ask, "Can't you handle the truth?" Amongst the good guys like the US, Israel, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and all the NATO countries, being friends, allies and trading partners is essential for world peace. A simple mind experiment would be to imagine visiting various countries around the world. Where would you feel safe? Where would you fear going?

I am glad Canada has a ship in harms way and is willing to take the risk. Canada is a friend and ally.

What would the world be like if America was an isolationist country since its war of liberation from England and our Civil War? Would the world be a better place? I dont think so. We are seeing what a Hands Off President has done to our country in six short years. Are we any safer? No. Will the world be a better place if Rand Paul is elected and he becomes an isolationist President? No.

In my best Jack Nicholson imitation I ask, "Can't you handle the truth?" Amongst the good guys like the US, Israel, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and all the NATO countries, being friends, allies and trading partners is essential for world peace. A simple mind experiment would be to imagine visiting various countries around the world. Where would you feel safe? Where would you fear going?

I am glad Canada has a ship in harms way and is willing to take the risk. Canada is a friend and ally.

If Obama is "hands-off," under which U.S. president was Gaddafi overthrown?

Which president sent weapons to Syrian rebels?

Which president dramatically increased drone strikes in Pakistan?

If none of these actions occurred under Obama, U.S. taxpayers are due a refund for the "hands-off" expenditures that occurred in the past six years.

What would the world be like if America was an isolationist country since its war of liberation from England and our Civil War? Would the world be a better place?

Better question: what would the world be like if America had split in half, North and South, and didn't fight a Civil War?

New York City, in particular, believed its contributions to the national wealth far outweighed the benefits the city received from the country. The financial and commercial interests in New York, with heavy investments in the South and the textile industry, opposed Lincoln’s war policy. On January 6, 1861, New York Mayor Fernando Wood wrote a letter in which he recommended that the city consider independence from the state and the Union. Leading politicians urged Lincoln to pursue a more moderate approach, agreeing with the radical newspaper editor, Horace Greeley, to letting the “erring sisters go in peace.” http://www.southernheritage411.com/truehistory.php?th=063

Commerce between the rump Union and a neighboring Confederacy would have continued, with the South slightly biased toward England (its main export market). The Northern states would have settled the West, discovered silver in Nevada and gold in California. The South would have prospered by discovery of oil and natural gas in Texas and Oklahoma -- a roughly equal division of natural resources.

There'd be no Federal Reserve, no Great Depression, the Soviet Union would have collapsed and Ayn Rand not emigrated. Considering that Objectivism had zero influence in American society or hard science, undoubtedly a much better world if Alyssa had written in Russian and helped rebuild her native country after the collapse of communism.

Americans since colonial days have always been of an imperialist, expansionist bent and didn't take kindly to the Mother Country trying to set up a barrier between them and the Indian lands to the west. Throw in moral hubris and revenues through Federal tariffs as a cost of southern business, the problem wasn't the all but inevitable Civil War and its aftermath but the constitutional embracement of slavery and presidential monarchy. The US President is a constitutional monarch with tremendous powers that had been steadily stripped from the English King in ironic juxtaposition to each other. George Washington(/Alexander Hamilton) was the first American King but was much too smart to let himself be called that. If it had been a real civil war--it wasn't--it would have been a war for the over-throw of the Federal Government. The South merely set up their own presidency with King Jefferson Davis.

Perhaps "A Republic if you can keep it" meant they hadn't done the job right and Ben knew it

--Brant

Fair reading of "Gilded Age" history: peace and prosperity

Grant (15th Amendment, avoided war with Spain, created Civil Service)
Hayes (fought corruption, redeemed greenbacks, stopped Mexican bandits)
Arthur (cut tariffs, fought corruption, tightened immigration rules)
Cleveland (cut Federal workers, vetoed spending bills, noninterventionist)
Harding (created first U.S. Federal Budget, signed child welfare law)
Coolidge (restricted immigration, cut taxes, reduced regulations)
Hoover (campaigned for efficiency, withdrew troops from Haiti and Nicaragua)

Economic historian Benjamin Anderson called the expansion of Federal Reserve credit under Coolidge "the beginning of the New Deal."

Hoover's approach to fixing the Great Depression was the same as FDR's: raising prices and wages, expanding credit, saving companies "too big to fail," and increasing federal spending. All of those measures prolonged the Depression.

Economic historian Benjamin Anderson called the expansion of Federal Reserve credit under Coolidge "the beginning of the New Deal."

Hoover's approach to fixing the Great Depression was the same as FDR's: raising prices and wages, expanding credit, saving companies "too big to fail," and increasing federal spending. All of those measures prolonged the Depression.

And he would be worth quoting why?

A...

Gentlemen,

As per Michael's announcement, shouldn't new instances of "Horror" go here:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14672

-Joe

Gentlemen,

-Joe

Joe:

I think it is time for Michael to issue His First Executive Order which would be a Moderation Mandate, or, His First Directive 00001...

A...

GO Seattle

And he would be worth quoting why?

A...

See here and here.

Gentlemen,

-Joe

Joe:

I think it is time for Michael to issue His First Executive Order which would be a Moderation Mandate, or, His First Directive 00001...

A...

GO Seattle

Michael may need more than that. My approach: "Francisco, place the mf comments here"

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14672 or expect a visit from some goodfellas.

I know that but It's MSK's site & this was his announcement for "horror" entries/ discussion. http://www.objectivi...showtopic=14672

-J

P.S. I read some of your posts & appreciate your comments.

FF:

You do realize that we are all on the same team here on OL.

Did you get some kind of adrenaline rush when you posted that "rational" comment?

A...

• 1 year later...

Ah, the IRS. It's their season to be merry. Plenty of mail going out.

Here's one, from their accounts receivable dept:

IRS.jpg