Any fans of "feelin good" music out there?

Backlighting

How to make a feel-good song sad ...

On 3/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, william.scherk said:
On 12/22/2021 at 1:47 PM, william.scherk said:

Here's Wendy Rogers made just a touch more zany than she is in real life.

Wendy Rogers was just censured by the Arizona state senate ... in part for her speech to the AFPAC hoedown, which speech contained her all-but-endorsement of Nick Fuentes ... she had been lately in the Kook-watch zone upon her oddly-hostile remarks about the Ukrainian president.

The zany little Wendy Rogers video all over Twitter at the time opened up a weird portal on YouTube. After finding the Moldovan band O-Zone's original video, the algorithm wanted me to watch "reaction to [old video]" videos.  "Dragostea Din Tei" has become a cultural icon beyond Moldovan borders. 

This is from a 2019 "Voice of Ukraine" episode. Subtitles in Russian (but you can alter to auto-translate to English).  The singer made the happy-sad marching song into a kind of lament. Some folks may find this moving.

Edited by william.scherk
Added a heading

Ukraine's Got Talent?

How is that feel good music?

I watched some of it and felt sad. I don't want to be a snob, but...

It was like trying to eat a Sunday where there was not too much ice cream, but plenty of syrup--at least 3 different flavors, brown sugar sprinkled all over, lots of small bits of candy and chocolate, hot fudge generously poured on, glazed nuts galore, a thick coat of honey covering everything, then 10 inches of whipped cream and 7 maraschino cherries on top.

That doesn't make me feel good. Neither with ice cream, neither with show.

Some people like it, I guess...

Dark roots on a pretty blonde head of hair and all...

Michael

There have been many incarnations of the song since 2004. I think of 'feeling good' with a song if it engages the more pleasant emotions. Sometimes being moved is a mix of good and not so good feelings.  Dan Balan, who dat?

Edited by william.scherk
Botched a link

• 1 month later...

An old playlist worth a listen? “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins. “Comfortably Numb” and “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd. “Riders On the Storm” by The Doors. “Don’t Fear the Reaper” and “Burning For You” by Blue Oyster Cult. “Southern Cross” by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. “Africa” by Toto. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears 

I have mentioned this before in my last post here, but this is a nice song to keep remembering. Some of the lyrics are ‘not as good,” so I pared them back in this sample. “. . . as big as the promise, the promise of a comin’ day . . .” Peter

“Southern Cross” Songwriters: Michael Curtis, Stephen Stills, Richard Curtis.

. . . When you see the Southern Cross for the first time
You understand now why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from is so small
But it's as big as the promise
The promise of a comin' day . . .

So I'm sailing for tomorrow, my dreams are a-dyin'
And my love is an anchor tied to you
Tied with a silver chain
I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name . . .
:In the Southern Cross

That is perhaps my favorite CSN song, we recently 'installed' a music app that plays songs 'at random' and I was enjoying this song last night. There definitely, for me, is a huge difference in enjoyment and appreciation of the piece as opposed to a simple reading of the lyrics, I'm sure by design , lol.

41 minutes ago, tmj said:

I'm sure by design , lol.

Sort of. I was playing it in my head and wondered about the lyrics, so there is to be no war between The Federation and The Dominion. And "lol" or lots of luck to you . . . too. 

Peter

lol, laugh out loud, in this instance I meant to use as a self deprecating ‘duh’ , as in as a piece of course the artist would intend for the spoken word to be altered in way that singing and melody alter.

That was probably the first time I’ve seen those lyrics in text and reading them , in my head lol, just didn’t quite do it for me .

As an aside , having been so far confined to the northern hemisphere , because of that song I’ve always wanted to see the Southern Cross and it sounds like nothing beats the first time.

7 hours ago, tmj said:

That was probably the first time I’ve seen those lyrics in text and reading them , in my head lol, just didn’t quite do it for me .

Perhaps LOL can be having lots of luck while you are LOL, laughing out loud. I think I am getting the hang of this computer lingo. Michael used LOL years ago and I thought it meant lots of luck, so this is Captain Jean Luc Picard: "Crew of the Enterprise. Keep your phasers on stun."

I was just doing a crossword puzzle and the clue, "space weapon" six letters, came up twice. One answer was phaser, but the other one went back a few years and it was raygun.   

• 3 weeks later...

Lookee what I found.

Don't ask me why this makes me feel good, but it does.

Also, Burl Ives took a big chance doing the chorus soft and muted. But it worked.

I came across this thing because I accidentally heard a version of this song by Judy Collins. It caught my fancy and I wondered if it had been the theme song of a Western. So I started listening to the different versions and came across this gem.

My entire inner image of Burl Ives is now shattered. But in a good way.

:)

Michael

• 4 months later...

Some funny lyrics from “New York, New York.”

Come on, Gabey, hurry up!

Twenty-four hours!

Hey, why don't ya look where you're goin'.
You'd think it was your first time in New York!

It is!

New York, New York!

It's a helluva town!
We've got one day here and not another minute
To see the famous sights!

We'll find the romance and danger waiting in it
Beneath the Broadway lights;

But we've hair on our chests
So what we like the best are the nights
Sights! Lights! Nights!
New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.

The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
New York, New York, it's a helluva town! . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian Ian Tyson has died at age 89. He performed with the group Ian and Sylvia and sang some excellent songs like “Four Strong Winds” and “Someday Soon,” that was also made a hit by Judy Collins. The world will miss him.  Give the Ian and Sylvia song “Four Strong Winds” a listen.

Odd. I listened to Judy Collins on the Smothers Brothers comedy hour. The lyrics to “Someday Soon,” by Ian Tyson described parts of my life at that moment of time in August 1969. Well, I was 21 and just out of the service anyway, but in California.

“Someday Soon.”

There's a young man that I know
His age is 21
Comes from down in southern Colorado
Just out of the service
And he's looking for his fun
Someday soon, going with him
Someday soon