Atlasphere is for Obnoxious People?

Atlasphere is for Obnoxious People?

Many of you know about The Atlasphere. If you don't, go there and look around. It's a great O-Land site by Joshua Zader.

For some reason, this charming, mild-mannered site caused a bug to crawl up the rear end of a Progressive.

Check this out.

Dating site for Ayn Rand fans enables the world’s most obnoxious people to breed
by Maggie Serota
Oct 18, 2013
Death and Taxes blog

From the blog article:

Earlier this week, The Wall Street Journal posted this round-up of niche dating sites. Many of the sites paired would be lovers based upon a shared lifestyle (farming) or a shared food allergy (gluten).

However, the far and way most disturbing match-making enterprise was the Atlasphere Dating Service, the site dedicated to matching devotees of Ayn Rand’s philosophy of Objectivism.

. . .

... poor filmmaking and paltry box-office may not be the “Atlas Shrugged” franchises’ biggest crimes. They are now indirectly enabling the world’s most obnoxious people to breed.

I want to say some quip or other, but this boneheadedness is so funny, it's a hard act to follow.

I mean it, too. I cracked up when I read this. :)

You can't make this stuff up.

To think that poor Maggie person has to go to bed with herself every night. I sure wouldn't want to be her.

:)

Michael

It's obvious that Maggie doesn't know anything about Objectivists.

Objectivists hate children. They judge having children to be a form of evil. So Objectivists don't "breed."

J

Objectivists hate children. They judge having children to be a form of evil. So Objectivists don't "breed."

J

No, no, no. Objectivists love children--other people's children--even other Objectivists' children who are rationalized into Objectivist moral existence--just not for me, only thee, unless I have some, then it's my wife's "career" unless I am the wife then I have a stay-at-home husband who can't be an Objectivist, Randian hero unless his name is Frank O'Connor, the model or all Rand's heroes, which explains John Galt ("I have done nothing, that is my secret") but not Ragnar, who had all that pirate fun until he decided to run a cruise ship* armed with its left-over naval guns.

--Brant

even I can be incoherent

*maybe Rand was inspired by the German raider Atlantis and maybe she was also inspired by David Seabury's The Art of Selfishness, also out of the 1930s, throwing selfishness into her philosophy

J

J

No, no, no. Objectivists love children...

For supper!

J

J

J

No, no, no. Objectivists love children...

For supper!

J

See? Everybody has begun to top me!

--Brant

damn, I need easier pickings!

I have always wondered about the tangential connection to Shakers - with a little imaginative projection, this could have been NBI in the '60's:

350px-Shakers_Dancing.jpg

Begun in 1747, the members looked to women for leadership. Jane Wardley and Ann Lee were the most important. Jane Wardley was an articulate preacher who urged her followers to:

Repent. For the kingdom of God is at hand. The new heaven and new earth prophesied of old is about to come. The marriage of the Lamb, the first resurrection, the new Jerusalem descended from above, these are even now at the door. And when Christ appears again, and the true church rises in full and transcendent glory, then all anti-Christian denominations—the priests, the Church, the pope—will be swept away.

Culture of work

The communality of the Believers was an economic success, and their cleanliness, honesty and frugality received the highest praise. All Shaker villages ran farms, using the latest scientific methods in agriculture. They raised most of their own food, so farming, and preserving the produce required to feed them through the winter, had to be priorities. Their livestock was fat and healthy, and their barns were commended for convenience and efficiency.[41]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers

This is the humor section...correct?