Question for Mike Marotta on Security

caroljane

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie Madof must of fucked you up badly.

Anytime a major bust is made of X ctime, I say a secret wish that they not have Italian names. I understand your feelings completely.

A...

Does not bother me. You can find the commune of Marotta in Italy, but in my own mind, I am first and foremost an American. And within that, I am culturally Hungarian. So, when I read about a mathematician or physicist, I do not say, "Please don't let him be Hungarian." I mean, really, get serious ...For all that it matters, the Austrian empire being what it was, my maternal grandmother was actually Croatian. So, like, am I supposed to be afraid that some war criminal in Serbia will have a name ending in ~ics?

Come on you guys... I thought that you were individualists!

Yes, I was born on Earth. Please don't hold me responsible for the Aztecs. (What a gaggle of silly geese!)

All true, but nobody likes their "tribe" being homicidal. What is it with religion and pyromania anyway, l the books - burn the heretics, burn the books - Prometheus, look what they did with your god gift!

Actually that first sentence is not historically accurate, the Huns rather approved of it, not that that has anything to do with MEM 1500 years later lol.

Hey, smile when you say that! I am still looking to buy a CD of "Istvan a Kiraly"(Stephen the King) a rock opera about Stephen the first Christian king of Hungary... When I was in the sixth grade, I discovered The White Stag by Kate Seredy a romance about Attila and the Magyars... Cute, all in all... but you have to take hold of your consciousness and enable and empower your rational faculties. Right now, my wife and I are working our way through the Star Trek: Enterprise series of DVDs. T'Pol is our go-to girl!

Anytime a major bust is made of X ctime, I say a secret wish that they not have Italian names. I understand your feelings completely.

A...

Does not bother me.

OK.

It bothers me.

My genetics are 100% Northern Italian for at least ten (10) generations.

20the

Hey, smile when you say that! I am still looking to buy a CD of "Istvan a Kiraly"(Stephen the King) a rock opera about Stephen the first Christian king of Hungary... When I was in the sixth grade, I discovered The White Stag by Kate Seredy a romance about Attila and the Magyars... Cute, all in all... but you have to take hold of your consciousness and enable and empower your rational faculties. Right now, my wife and I are working our way through the Star Trek: Enterprise series of DVDs. T'Pol is our go-to girl!

know you like scifi and to me, historical fiction is an extension of it (look at GG Kay who just changes the names and lets his imagination roam). But when historically accurate they can be incredibly good. Let me recommend to you Csardas by Diane Pearson (20th century Hungary), the Death of Attila by Cecelia Holland. Brilliant, you-are-there stories.

Also for any freedom lovers, also by Holland, The Sea Beggars, about the struggle of the Netherlands against their overlords the Spanish. When William of Orange says simply, "I am come to lay my bones among you", I cried.

Also seem to recall there was interesting discussion of coinage!

Wow. I am blown away by the works of Cecilia Holland. What a mind! Also, thanks for Csardas by Diane Pearson. Again, nothing short of "wow" sums it up. Tangentially, this particular Wordpress blog link included this particular performance of the Monti Csardas. I mean, who else but an Italian could compose the perfect Hungarian csardas? I was always partial to this one by Katica Illenlyi (just the csardas; ignore the second part. Also, you need the Roman type because the gothic Arial hides the ells and eyes.)

Google til you are blue in the face for "csak egy kislány van a világon" (just one little girl in the world). Vilag for "world" is of course our word "village" as indeed it is in Russian that your village is the world (mir) and it means "peace." I often recommend that Hungarian be considered for the official language of Earth expressively because it has over a dozen cases. Nominative, genitive, accusative, sure, and even vocative and locative, but also inessive, adessive, progressive, and regressive.

Thanks for the Borge of whom there can never be too much!

I currently do not own a copy of Csardas, I had a paperback which I read twice and I believe it is out of print. It has a pitiless reality, beauty and humanity which have stayed with me ever since those readings.

Holland's earlier works are the best. I think her lastest one was about Joan of Arc. She did a couple on California history which I read and found very inferior to her earlier work, which to me, approached genius.

A...

Does not bother me.

OK.

It bothers me.

Ah, you knew Caravaggio!

--Brant

Ah, you knew Caravaggio!

--Brant

I think one of my ancestors used to sell him paint and homemade red wine.

A...