OMG - He Didn't Deserve To Die! Really? The Only Sad Part Was The First Name Was Not Fidel, Or, Raul!

Selene

Ohio Man Who Held 3 Women Captive Is Found Dead By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: September 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM ET

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The man who held three women captive in his home for nearly a decade before one escaped has been found dead and is believed to have committed suicide, a prison official said.

Tony Dejak/Associated Press

Ariel Castro in the courtroom during the sentencing phase in Cleveland last month.

Ariel Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. Tuesday at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, a community located south of Columbus in central Ohio, JoEllen Smith, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokesman, said early Wednesday.

Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

He was in protective custody because of the notoriety of his case, meaning he was checked every 30 minutes, but was not on suicide watch, Smith said.

Messages were left for Castro's attorneys at their offices and were not immediately returned.

The three women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.

They escaped May 6, when one of the women broke part of a door and yelled to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested that evening.

Castro was sentenced Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years on his guilty plea to 937 counts including kidnapping and rape

No loss for me, that's for sure, but the absolute fact remains that when you are in prison, you are the moral responsibility of the State.

For him to die in his cell is no different than the gang rape of a "libertarian atheist sentenced to prison for tax evasion."

Prison is a Kafkaesque parody of society. When war resistors ("draft dodgers") were sent to prison in the 1960s, they suffered the brutalization at the hands of prisoners; and the State disavowed all knowledge.

When war resistors ("draft dodgers") were sent to prison in the 1960s, they suffered the brutalization at the hands of prisoners; and the State disavowed all knowledge.

Source please?

Not doubting it, just wish to use it.

No loss for me, that's for sure, but the absolute fact remains that when you are in prison, you are the moral responsibility of the State.

For him to die in his cell is no different than the gang rape of a "libertarian atheist sentenced to prison for tax evasion."

Prison is a Kafkaesque parody of society. When war resistors ("draft dodgers") were sent to prison in the 1960s, they suffered the brutalization at the hands of prisoners; and the State disavowed all knowledge.

For Castro to die in prison bears no similarity to the gang rape of a "libertarian atheist sentenced to prison for tax evasion" or the brutalization of "draft dodgers." Are you equating kidnap, rape, and false imprisonment with tax evasion or dodging the draft? Are you equating death at one's own hands with brutalization by others? Those seem like two really huge differences between Castro's case and the others. I wondered if, perhaps, he was being tormented by others and if that was the reason he killed himself, but the article states that he was being checked on every half hour and doesn't say that he complained about his treatment. So, I just don't see any similarity. As for his death, I say good riddance.

Darrell

For Castro to die in prison bears no similarity to the gang rape of a "libertarian atheist sentenced to prison for tax evasion" or the brutalization of "draft dodgers." Are you equating kidnap, rape, and false imprisonment with tax evasion or dodging the draft? Are you equating death at one's own hands with brutalization by others? Those seem like two really huge differences between Castro's case and the others. I wondered if, perhaps, he was being tormented by others and if that was the reason he killed himself, but the article states that he was being checked on every half hour and doesn't say that he complained about his treatment. So, I just don't see any similarity. As for his death, I say good riddance.

Darrell

I would highly recommend seeing the movie Sleepers. Possibly Brad Pitt's finest subdued performance and a brutally powerful movie.

Famous line in the movie...Down here in the streets Justice is a blind bitch!