XHow: How to Find Worthless Crap to Sell on eBay

The most consistently undervalued household item has to be the old aquarium. At least once a summer I'll drive by an old aquarium left by the side of the road as trash. Even if it doesn't hold water anymore or has a small crack in it, you can wash it out with a hose and easily resell it as a terrarium for around $1/gallon. They are always in high demand because you can house any small animal in them and they are a lot more expensive at stores like Petco. I've done this at least a dozen times in my life, sometimes selling them for as much as $80-100 cash on Craigslist.

Craigslist is an art that must be learned, however. There is a right way to Craigslist and there is a wrong way. Just remember you are dealing with the dregs of humanity who have never kept a commitment in their lives. Most of them don't have jobs, are probably on welfare/SSDI, and are used to showing up "whenever" or not at all. In other words, your time doesn't factor into their decision-making, so just assume everything they tell you is bull, especially any promises they make you. Never hold an item for a potential buyer, and never alter your own plans to meet a buyer. Put 100% of the responsibility on them and eventually someone will show up and take the item.

My dad was on a Craigslist binge for a while. Often, he would browse the "free" section and, often, he would run after some piece of "free" furniture in some remote location in Omaha. The reason I put "free" in quotation marks is that the item was always "free" in the monetary sense, but picking it up, moving it, and reselling it always had the cost of effort and time. Two invaluable resources.

But, if I ever get into the Craigslist business, I'll use your advice. It can be a dangerous business, especially, in my area, though I'm certain it's worse in others. I'd never do it in Detroit.

What about valuable crap? I collect that and might be persuaded by the right buyer.

All crap is valuable to someone, but not everyone is worth their weight in crap.

I download all of my movies and music for free, but I buy all of my video game consoles and games used on Craigslist. Within a few years, every used game hits the $10-15 price level and doesn't depreciate any further. If you buy games and then resell them for the same used price, you're essentially playing them for free. Since new games run $50-60, I've saved at least a few thousand dollars over the past decade through Craigslist transactions.

I receive more brain damage, per capita, at work from my so-called customers than from anyone I've met off Craigslist. I've sold or traded maybe a dozen items on there. The turnaround was sometimes weeks but I believe I've received the best money possible short of waiting on a miracle. I'd buy and sell there all the time if I just knew what to resell.

(Personal to whoever is holding our syrup to ransom like we don't know who you are)

If you knew how the breakfast eaters of Riviere du Loup are suffering, not to mention the Cheese Monks of Oka who are fasting in sympathy, you would not be acting in the selfish way you are doing.

Do the right thing.

Anonyme'

not in your case!

je me souviens

Const Brind'Amour-Eddy

RCMP

Surrender le sirop ou souffrez les consequences!

Watch it. You won't like my French.

--Brant

that's my right hand--the left is full of Spanoish (my mouth of English: triple threat)