School valedictorian recites prayer at graduation

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/06/public-school-valedictorian-recites-lords-prayer-at-commencement-to-raucous-cheers-video/

To some, they maybe against it. But in a way I would like to tell this kid, spot on spot on. The reason why is I may disagree with his religious views but it took courage to do this and shoved political correctness in the face of many with "free speech". (im kinda a rebel myself)

Some will say, "but it was a public school".

I would say, "yes, but I don't agree with public schools, if they were ALL privatized then people would have a choice to go to a "certain religious" school, or a "non religious school".

Secondly, prayer in schools doesn't bother me. I say let all religious kids pray, let the ones who are not religious NOT pray. But again, let all religious or "lack of" prey or whatever. Of course, this is a "federal law"? Uncle Same knows best right?

TRUE FREEDOM.

So instead of looking at this kids speech as him pressing religious views on people I think it was more of a cry for free speech. Of course he may be saying this as a point to allow prayer in schools again. That's his right to do so.

I don't think Americans could handle TRUE FREEDOM.

For example: The Chick Fila controversy. I debated many that,if you don't agree, DONT EAT THERE! This is simple and to me, TRUE FREEDOM. The owner of a business can say what he wants. If it harms his business its his fault, his choice......

I may be wrong on this, however it is a thought and may start a good conversation....

But again, "spot on kiddo"

Okay, I'll be Devil's Advocate, quite possibly literally. You know, if you believe in the Devil and such.

I think intent is important. If he took issue with his First Amendment rights being taken from him, then why not just deliver a speech about the First Amendment and then name the people who had offended those rights? Why not acknowledge the fact that there were probably others in attendance who have their own prayers (or not) that are more meaningful to them than his?

Also, I don't think this was a particularly courageous act. He obviously had his parent's support, as he named them explicitly. And while the people sitting behind him (presumably school teachers and administrators) did not applaud him, they obviously were not surprised or shocked when the graduate began the prayer. At least a couple of them were very outwardly pleased. I suspect that they knew ahead of time what was coming. Therefore I conclude that he had their support, as well. In addition, it's Liberty, South Carolina. You and I know that "political correctness" in that area leans more to the religious side of politics than not. I would argue that it would have been more courageous to not say a prayer.

I'm not a big fan of public schools, either. However, if you choose to send your child to a public school, then I think you are bound to respect the fact that there will be many other kids there who are not being raised in the same way you are raising your child. The graduate himself is old enough to be expected to respect that his classmates may not agree with his religious views.

We hates the public shcools and we wants to close 'em, Precious...... - Golum

The status of valedictorian is earned. They give you a platform. It's yours. Period.

(But I agree with DD. It was not courageous to speak for the majority. If he had recited a Muslim prayer, maybe, or, hey! quoted Ayn Rand, then maybe.)