Should I let my parents force me into going to church?

Evan

mike82arp said in #71

Well, you’re heading in a different direction. Anyway, can kids understand the concept of sin?

This is what I was speaking to, I say no children can not conceive of the Christian ideal of sin.. You may think showing them in an analogous way what you mean by sin is in fact teaching them what sin is to a Christian, but I believe there exists a wealth of theologic study on what sin actually means to a Christian.

Or is the theologic concept of sin not as rich and developed as I think? Or is the correct understanding of the concept of sin only accessible to someone who has studied theology? Do most Christians accept the concept from the argument from authority perspective, eg what the minister/priest says it is?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mike82arp said in #71

Well, you’re heading in a different direction. Anyway, can kids understand the concept of sin?

This is what I was speaking to, I say no children can not conceive of the Christian ideal of sin.. You may think showing them in an analogous way what you mean by sin is in fact teaching them what sin is to a Christian, but I believe there exists a wealth of theologic study on what sin actually means to a Christian.

Or is the theologic concept of sin not as rich and developed as I think? Or is the correct understanding of the concept of sin only accessible to someone who has studied theology? Do most Christians accept the concept from the argument from authority perspective, eg what the minister/priest says it is?

The analogies work perfectly for young kids. There are also definitions of sin in the various catechisms used by some of the churches. The catechisms are meant for older kids and newer believers and cover topics in more depth. There are plenty of writings available in the topic of hamartiology- which is the doctrine of sin.