How old is Ayn Rand in this picture?

It was a publicity photo for The Fountainhead. She turned 38 a month after she delivered the manuscript and a few months before the book was published, so this would have been right around the time of her birthday.

It was a publicity photo for The Fountainhead. She turned 38 a month after she delivered the manuscript and a few months before the book was published, so this would have been right around the time of her birthday.

It may be from the late 1930s.

On the ARI site, it says that it was Rand's favorite photo of herself, so it could indeed have been made several years before the publication date of TF, and Rand chose it because she liked it best:

http://www.aynrand.o...aynrand_gallery

ARI also shows Rand's 1936 promotional photograph for We the Living; the way her hair is styled there looks very much like in the TF photo:

http://www.aynrand.o...ynrand_gallery4

I liked the Stony Creek photo because in the fall of 1968 I drove from New Jersey to Boston to see Ayn Rand at the Ford Hall Forum for the first of many consecutive times--"On [Of?] Living Death"?--and stopped in Stony Creek. I drove way out on the shore as far as I could go amongst a fairly dense conglomeration of modest two-story homes, and there at the end was a mailbox with "Rand" printed on it in front of a small house.

--Brant

true story

• 6 years later...
On 7/7/2012 at 7:20 AM, Brant Gaede said:

I liked the Stony Creek photo because in the fall of 1968 I drove from New Jersey to Boston to see Ayn Rand at the Ford Hall Forum for the first of many consecutive times--"On [Of?] Living Death"?--and stopped in Stony Creek. I drove way out on the shore as far as I could go amongst a fairly dense conglomeration of modest two-story homes, and there at the end was a mailbox with "Rand" printed on it in front of a small house.

--Brant

true story

50 years ago.