Gay Animals

A teacher today said that Homosexuality is a personal life choice and that it is unnatural... I said that you get Gay Animals to which she said, "animals only act in such a way when there is no females available to mate with..." any comment on her response or the topic in general? :-)

You don't have to spend much time around farm animals to see it all. A goose will make love to a 5 gallon bucket. A rabbit will attempt to have sex with house cats and chickens. Goats can take care of business solo. A few minutes on Google and about any variation can be found. Sex is a powerful drive and the old saying "sowing wild oats" means there are always plenty of male seed to go around. A percentage of non-reproducers in a population often frees them up to contribute in other ways - still providing fitness benefits to close relatives - much as grandparents do after they are no longer reproductive themselves. I don't know the numbers but it is obvious that many bi-sexuals still have children.

I have also noticed during my life the high correlation between substance abuse and bi-sexuality, homo-sexuality, and promiscuity. There is also a high correlation between mental illness and promiscuity - which leads to interesting social cost-benefit analysis.

Dennis

You don't have to spend much time around farm animals to see it all. A goose will make love to a 5 gallon bucket. A rabbit will attempt to have sex with house cats and chickens. Goats can take care of business solo. A few minutes on Google and about any variation can be found. Sex is a powerful drive and the old saying "sowing wild oats" means there are always plenty of male seed to go around. A percentage of non-reproducers in a population often frees them up to contribute in other ways - still providing fitness benefits to close relatives - much as grandparents do after they are no longer reproductive themselves. I don't know the numbers but it is obvious that many bi-sexuals still have children.

I have also noticed during my life the high correlation between substance abuse and bi-sexuality, homo-sexuality, and promiscuity. There is also a high correlation between mental illness and promiscuity - which leads to interesting social cost-benefit analysis.

Dennis

Your comment seems to be a bit negative about human homosexuality. the majority of homosexuals I have met are very nice, healthy and successful people. Are you not prehaps generalizing? Im sure there is a high correlation between substance abusing, mentally ill, promiscuous homosexuals and homophobic prejudice.

Here's an update on Buddy and Pedro, the gay penguins so cruelly torn apart by the commissars at the Toronto Zoo. They were not separated because of their gayness but because they are African. The African penguin is so severely endangered that it is imperative for all 50,000 of them to be encouraged to get it on ceaselessly with the opposite sex to save the species.

Buddy has settled down with his new bride and is nesting satisfactorily, but Pedro has been "overly amorous" and turned off his mate and she wants out of the relationship.

On the bright side, a new penguin chick from another couple has been born and it is all fuzzy and adorable. Nobody knows its gender yet (penguins are severely gender confused) but it will be called either Eldon or Ellie.

Dennis

Your comment seems to be a bit negative about human homosexuality. the majority of homosexuals I have met are very nice, healthy and successful people. Are you not prehaps generalizing? Im sure there is a high correlation between substance abusing, mentally ill, promiscuous homosexuals and homophobic prejudice.

I am not attempting to be negative - just stating my observations. I generally don't trust statistics likely to have a slant so I primarily have my own experience to go by.

There are plenty of substance abusing straight people and plenty of mentally ill straight people.

Dennis

Here's an update on Buddy and Pedro, the gay penguins so cruelly torn apart by the commissars at the Toronto Zoo. They were not separated because of their gayness but because they are African. The African penguin is so severely endangered that it is imperative for all 50,000 of them to be encouraged to get it on ceaselessly with the opposite sex to save the species.

Buddy has settled down with his new bride and is nesting satisfactorily, but Pedro has been "overly amorous" and turned off his mate and she wants out of the relationship.

On the bright side, a new penguin chick from another couple has been born and it is all fuzzy and adorable. Nobody knows its gender yet (penguins are severely gender confused) but it will be called either Eldon or Ellie.

what a bitterly sweet story :tongue:

Dennis

I am not attempting to be negative - just stating my observations. I generally don't trust statistics likely to have a slant so I primarily have my own experience to go by.

There are plenty of substance abusing straight people and plenty of mentally ill straight people.

Dennis

I agree with your distrust of the reliability of statistics.

and what you said made me think about a few things. where you live, what is the general attitude of people towards homosexuals?

the majority of homosexuals i have met live in Cape Town (gay Capital of South Africa)

perhaps the observation on the homosexuals are a result of your communities attitudes and values.

I think that if I were gay and I had my teacher telling me that my life choices where bad and unnatural and if I had people mocking me it would have a negative impact on my character.

Dennis

Dennis

I agree with your distrust of the reliability of statistics.

and what you said made me think about a few things. where you live, what is the general attitude of people towards homosexuals?

the majority of homosexuals i have met live in Cape Town (gay Capital of South Africa)

perhaps the observation on the homosexuals are a result of your communities attitudes and values.

I think that if I were gay and I had my teacher telling me that my life choices where bad and unnatural and if I had people mocking me it would have a negative impact on my character.

I have lived in the Midwest and the South of the USA - primarily the Midwest. I have never seen any teacher ever mocking homosexuals. I only remember one proselytizing teacher - college chemistry and he was forced out after 1-2 years. One of the best teachers I ever had was believed to be gay by everyone who knew him but he never let it be known one way or another. In undergraduate physics there was an openly gay student among our tiny numbers. He and his partner were substance abusers but so were half of the physics students and a couple of the professors.

One thing that skews the numbers is the fact that I don’t meet many boring people except in work related situations or relatives.

I’ve heard the numbers that 20% of women are gay, 8% of men. The bi-sexual numbers are not so obvious. If you go to any local tavern I’m sure over 50% of women are bi-sexual occasionally.

My brother lived in Seattle for a couple years and he was quite sure that most of the better dance clubs are majority gay and lesbian.

I’ve never witnessed open hostility towards gays. Teasing behind their backs is an entirely different matter – everyone is prone to that for any number of reasons. A female friend of mine does Karaoke in the gay bars in Columbus Ohio and makes fun of all her gay friends all day long while she is there. Gentle poking fun of is quite different than hostile making fun of.

Dennis

I imagine for your situation this is a conversation stopper--or starter depending on who you are talking to. :smile:

Yeah, well you know what I think the Government ought to monitor, and start shutting down? Those inter-species massage parlors!

The substance abuse or suicide correlations, if the facts bear them out, don't prove much. Either they are natural consequences or they are the result of being made to feel chronically out of place and, in most times and places, legally persecuted. I doubt that anybody knows which. Male homosexuality correlates with promiscuity. A plausible explanation is that this is the way men are. For straight men, women's choosiness and demand for commitment offset this natural promiscuity; for gay men, the effect is squared. Straight men would be just as slutty if they could find willing partners as easily and with so little consequence. (Historically, if not today, heterosexual laxness meant pregnancy and pregnancy meant marriage; STDs were equal-opportunity, so gays had less to worry about.)

What's the big deal? I've long known that flamingos, egrets, poodles and well-groomed afghan hounds are gay and that Big Bird is a drag queen. Female bulldogs (are there any?) are lesbians.