Purpose of Life

Dglgmut

No, no, no... it would be between life and plants. But we acknowledge that plants are living things, we don't acknowledge that awareness could exist without necessarily being consciousness. If something can sense reality, whether it remembers it for a split second, a lifetime, or not at all, isn't it all awareness?

Let me see if I read you here. You are saying the difference between species is one of degree and not of kind. Did I get that right?

Ba'al Chatzaf

No, no, no... it would be between life and plants. But we acknowledge that plants are living things, we don't acknowledge that awareness could exist without necessarily being consciousness. If something can sense reality, whether it remembers it for a split second, a lifetime, or not at all, isn't it all awareness?

Let me see if I read you here. You are saying the difference between species is one of degree and not of kind. Did I get that right?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'd say the difference between consciousness and unconsciousness is the degree of awareness. Same goes for intelligence.

The more you can remember, the more information you have available at once and the more effective your automatic logical process will be in inferring truth.

Sensation alone is two-dimensional, memory is what gives experience its "meat".

Sensation alone is two-dimensional, memory is what gives experience its "meat".

Actually it is "meat" (the brain and neural system) that gives experience its memory. Memory is the neurophysical state of particular kinds of tissue.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 2 weeks later...

How about this:

The purpose of life is no different than the purpose of a rock. However, one of the benefits of the gift of life is the ability to choose one's own purpose.

As I brought up, a purpose can be looked at in two ways: as an intended function or as a resultant function. If a purpose is self-created, though, there is one more definition we can apply to the word: a goal worked towards.

"What is my purpose?" - Who is supposed to answer this question, when the object is so ambiguous? The only meaning which could be effective in this self-referential format would be that of a self-decided goal.

"What is my goal?" - Now at least it's clear who the question is addressing. But if we don't have a goal, how can we answer? Where do we find a goal, and is there a logical choice?

I'd say that this is as far as logic can take us. You may consider human nature, and try to draw a conclusion based on that, but the introspection that would lead you to a more powerful answer is not grounded in logic, but in reality; the reality of your own existence.

Reason tells us what question to ask, but not what answer to expect. The question: "What do I live for?"

This is the most useful way to look at "purpose" in my opinion. And it fits well with something Ayn Rand has written--that the most depraved person in the world is the one without a purpose. The purposeless, in this context, is the person who lives for nothing. (The person with no conviction, or the person with no values.)

It may be even more than that, actually: Purpose might better be described as the acknowledgment of one's reason to live.

You can't even give yourself a reason to live, but you can make an effort to know your reason to live (through intelligent introspection).

• 5 months later...

I mean, we can experience different levels of awareness... Take morphine as an example... Just because you don't have the same grasp of reality that you usually would doesn't mean that it's not you, right?

so then sombody that have iiq that are member of mesna feel the world difrent and becuse of that have difrent rules and cant relate to eh normal ppl ? becuse if you have more then iq 150 foks will not undertsand what you talk abut

maybe they will misunderstand you and call you a autist ..

• 2 months later...
Some things just "are", and the rest is dirty dancing, dear Daunce.

Actually, all things just "are".

Existence needs no justification. Actually, it doesn't need anything. Isn't it that simple?

Yes. Existence exists. That which doesn't exist doesn't exist. Things exist because they do. "Existence exists" justifies itself.

I think the question that I am focused on most is: Why do we assume there is a clear line between consciousness and unconsciousness? Why isn't it all just existence?

Consciousness exists when your mind is focused. Unconsciousness exists when your mind is not focus (sleeping and refusing to think). Where have you reached a contradiction?

What is the purpose of sand?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Nothing that is not alive can have its own purpose. I haven't heard Rand say that but I haven't, to the extent of my knowlege, contradicted any premises of mine in saying that. Do I make sense when I say only living entities can have a purpose? The only purpose of an instinctual or automatically acting living entity can be to sustain life. Does this make sense?

And only man can set his own purpose.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Nothing that is not alive can have its own purpose. I haven't heard Rand say that but I haven't, to the extent of my knowlege, contradicted any premises of mine in saying that. Do I make sense when I say only living entities can have a purpose? The only purpose of an instinctual or automatically acting living entity can be to sustain life. Does this make sense?

Only a sentient entity can formulate a goal.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Come on Bob...EVERYONE KNOWS THE PURPOSE OF SAND~~~~

beach_volleyball_bikini_cheerleaders_02.jpg

It is something to hold up these beauties....

She has beautiful eyes - don't you think?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Sand has multiple uses.

1. Sand can be used to make concrete. Concrete has 3 ingredients: cement, water, aggregate. Sand can be part of the aggregate.

2. Sand can be used to make mortar for bricklayers. Mortar has 3 ingredients: masonry cement, water, sand.

3. Sand can be used to make glass. The main ingredient in sand is silica (silicon dioxide).

4. Sand can be used to make sandpaper.

5. Sand can be put on icy places to make them not slippery.

6. If you have a garden and it has too much hard clay, you can mix some sand in the clay.

7. Sand in sand bags can be used to limit the spreading of water from a flood.

8. Sand in sand bags can be used as a weight to weight things down.

9. Children can play in sand boxes.

10. There is a story that Archimedes did geometry by drawing in sand with a stick.

11. Sand can be used in sand blasting. Sand is blown with great force on surfaces.

12. ... I will let you all finish the list.

But I doubt these examples answer Bob's question. In all these examples, the purposer is a person, not the sand. Sand is the purposee.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It is something to hold up these beauties....

the girl on the right looks as though she's trying to take a shit standing up and they all look like they're just generally trying too hard

The eyes are of course what every man willl look at first ... :wink::D

the girl on the right looks as though she's trying to take a shit standing up and they all look like they're just generally trying too hard

Now really, Aristo!! What yucky associations you get from looking at these gorgeous xx-chromosome exemplars! :o

The eyes are of course what every man willl look at first ... :wink::D

I think it's important to look at what women themselves pay the most attention to, therefore hair and shoes should get the man's focus. How better to start a conversation? The trick is to do it without having her write you off as gay.

Not at all! If she had something like a table in front of her, to brace herself against, you might have a very different idea of what she's trying to do. Or rather, inviting you to do. Look at that, she's even getting up on her tippee toes, since there's usually a height issue and she, being so considerate, doesn't want you to have to bend your knees like you're doing a squat...that's what I call meeting someone halfway!

What's this thread supposed to be about?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Only a sentient entity can formulate a goal.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Only sentient entities can have goals, if by goals you mean purpose. And only beings volitional consciousness can choose their goals and purpose.