bonjour

dominique

Hi everybody.

Uhm, never been good in that introducingmyself stuff.

I'm a 17-year-old who loves to read about philosophy, science and Scotland. Besides that - libertarian, capitalist, eurosceptic, selectively antisocial bookworm. I can't call myself a 100% objectivist, at least according to ARI standards, but I find Rand's work greatly inspiring and, since maybe two or three of my friends has barely heard of Ayn Rand and objectivism, I really lacked some discussion about it. And, just to clarify, my username isn't after Francon, it's my actual name.

Since my English isn't exactly perfect, I won't be writing much for now, I'll rather read.

That would be it :smile:

And please, correct me if I've made any language mistakes.

Bienvenue. Si vous voulez, contribuez vos observations au lieu d'introductions et, par ca, nous vous connâitrons; ou non, si vous préférez. Personne ici n'est Objectiviste pur selon ARI.

I guess the title of the post makes a false impression that I'm French. I'm not, I just didn't want to name it "hi"/"hello" as half of the other topics.

And if Google Translator got it right - thanks for the warm welcome, and, as for the ARI - well, that's why I've decided to sign up here.

Hi! You like to read about Scotland- I have read the entire oeuvre of Nigel Tranter in my time, and one of my hobbies is spreading the word that the Declaration of Arbaoth was in fact far more inspirational than the Declaration of Independence. In my view Glasgow is still the Paris of the North, at least, parts of it. It's good to have you aboard for the countdown to Hogmonay...

...sound of bagpipes....shrieks, growls,roars, breaking glass..."like a violin sweetly played in tune"!

Welcome to OL...

Best way to get better at writing English is writing English.

Frankly, you already write better than most folks in the O'biwan administration!

Adam

Good to see another young objectivist on here. I'm just 14. Like yourself, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the philosophy, and a few tenets I find to be false, but Rand has influenced me a lot as well. Welcome to the site.

Personne ici n'est Objectiviste pur selon ARI.

I wonder if I am. Do they offer certificates or something? :smile:

dominique: Hi there! So where are you from?

Poland/Oberschlesien <<check her profile

But then again, since she is from Poland, she probably wants to make sure Germany does not know where she is...

But then again, since she is from Poland, she probably wants to make sure Germany does not know where she is...

I don't think it was there when I checked...

[EDIT: And Dominique: he's joking, of course. There is no patriotism in me whatsoever. And even if there was, it would be madness to think that Germany has any claim in this regard.]

I don't think it was there when I checked...

[EDIT: And Dominique: he's joking, of course. There is no patriotism in me whatsoever. And even if there was, it would be madness to think that Germany has any claim in this regard.]

John:

It was sarcasm.gif

The Germans just won the pairs gold medal at the Grand Prix figure skating final. Nonpatriotic John won't care I guess, but Angela might

The Americans beat our Olympic champs Virtue and Moir in the ice dance. Grrrr..

Of course a Canadian is the men's champ, as always.

This conversation brings to mind the words of the Divine Diva: I married a kraut; every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me.

The Polish platoon of 12 men burst into the German household and find the pretty young wife all alone and proceed to sexually assault her and she screams "Nein! Nein!" and three of the Polish soldiers leave...

Dominique,

I also extend my welcome.

This is a great forum for non-orthodox people that are inspired by Ayn Rand. I call myself an Objectivist but I'm very much a non-orthodox one.

Trust me, you'll have zero problems about that here :)

I hope you have a great time here!

Haha, I'm not exacly Polish, I consider myself rather Silesian.

@daunce lynan - Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

the countdown to Hogmonay...

dìreach :)

Haha, I'm not exacly Polish, I consider myself rather Silesian.

@daunce lynan - Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

the countdown to Hogmonay...

dìreach :smile:

Dominique:

We had an excellent poster here named Ted who was an expert on languages, but he got in an argument which led to his leaving. It was a real loss to OL. He would have provided some really excellent information on your language and its roots.

Silesian or Upper Silesian (Silesian: Ślůnsko godka, Czech: slezský jazyk, Polish: język śląski) is considered either a dialect of the Polish language[2][3][4] (apart from the Lach dialects, which are usually regarded as a branch of the Czech language[5][6][7]), or a separate Slavic language[1] of the Lechitic group spoken in the region of Silesia. The ISO 639-3 language code is szl.[8]

The Silesian voivodeship is historically territorially aligned with the European region of Upper Silesia

History of Upper Silesia

At the time of Svatopluk I and King Arnulf of Carinthia in the 9th century, Silesia was a part of Greater Moravia; after its destruction in the early 10th century, it was conquered by Bohemia. A number of earlier inhabitants of Silesia, the Silingi, remained in the region and they concentrated around the Zobten mountain and in a settlement named Niempsch (derived from a Slavic name for Germans).

Upper Silesia was soon conquered by the newly installed dukes of the Polans and for several hundred years was part of Poland. This arrangement fell apart and, during the re-establishment of Poland under Casimir the Great, all of Silesia was specifically excluded as non-Polish land. In 1335 it came back under the rule of the Kingdom of Bohemia. Many towns were destroyed by the Mongols at the Battle of Legnica but were later rebuilt. By the 14th century, the influx of settlers into Upper Silesia stopped because of the plague. Latin, Czech and German language were used in the towns and cities and only in the 1550s (during the Protestant Reformation) did records with Polish names start to appear. The Roman Catholic Holy Roman Emperors of the Habsburg dynasty forcibly reintroduced Catholicism, led by the Jesuits.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Silesian_Voivodeship

Next, you will tell us you are a gypsy also!

Adam

again welcome to OL

We had an excellent poster here named Ted who was an expert on languages, but he got in an argument which led to his leaving.

Adam,

Not an argument.

A consistent refusal to abide by the posting guidelines after being cut a lot of slack over a lot of time (as is normal here) and several warnings. This led to moderation. He thinks he's above all that so he stays away.

That's his right.

But it's a personality thing, not an intellectual one.

Michael

We had an excellent poster here named Ted who was an expert on languages, but he got in an argument which led to his leaving.

Adam,

Not an argument.

A consistent refusal to abide by the posting guidelines after being cut a lot of slack over a lot of time (as is normal here) and several warnings. This led to moderation. He thinks he's above all that so he stays away.

That's his right.

But it's a personality thing, not an intellectual one.

Michael

Michael:

Yes, you are correct.

I did not want to get to deep in the weeds on the why with Dominique.

I still regret that it was not resolveable. I will never understand these kinds of piques, or fits of anger.

Life is way too short for it.

Adam

Thanks for the primer Adam. Previously the only thing I knew about Silesia was Wodehouse's comment, looking around as he was being transported across it to internment in WWII:

"Good God! If this is Upper Silesia, what can Lower Silesia be like?"

Thanks for the primer Adam. Previously the only thing I knew about Silesia was Wodehouse's comment, looking around as he was being transported across it to internment in WWII:

"Good God! If this is Upper Silesia, what can Lower Silesia be like?"

Um, hmm, Eau de Schoolmarm swirls about me...nope, can't resist. Wodehouse quotes must be transmitted faithfully.

"If this is Upper Silesia, one wonders what Lower Silesia must be like…"

BTW the transcripts of the Berlin broadcasts are here:

http://www.pgwodehousebooks.com/berlin1.htm

Young men, starting out in life, have often asked me 'How can I become an Internee?' Well, there are several methods. My own was to buy a villa in Le Touquet on the coast of France and stay there till the Germans came along. This is probably the best and simplest system. You buy the villa and the Germans do the rest.