Do you wish to be depressed. Read this...

BaalChatzaf

Herein is a very intelligent essay that takes reductionism to its logical conclusion.

http://onthehuman.org/2009/11/the-disenchanted-naturalists-guide-to-reality/

It is so very reminiscent of Dr. Prichet at the party telling the folks around him that nothing is anything. If Ayn Rand were around today she would have said: I told you so......

When Alex Rosenberg doesn't exactly say that. It is more like everything is bosons and fermions.

Ye gods! The essay is so depressing.... And yet it states what I have come to believe. Only my cock-eyed sense of humor stands between me and the Void.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Hmm.. I don't find it depressing at all. There aren't any logical limitations of existence, or is-ness, and as a part of existence, I am not worried about much.

I think there is value in existence itself, and, therefor, any part of it.

What scientific discovery could possibly prove an intrinsic "meaning" in anything, anyway? The term "random" just annoys me... To assume something doesn't have a cause seems thoughtless... Isn't it safer to assume that science will be an endless-progression of discovery?

Am I missing the depressing part or something?

Hmm.. I don't find it depressing at all. There aren't any logical limitations of existence, or is-ness, and as a part of existence, I am not worried about much.

I think there is value in existence itself, and, therefor, any part of it.

What scientific discovery could possibly prove an intrinsic "meaning" in anything, anyway? The term "random" just annoys me... To assume something doesn't have a cause seems thoughtless... Isn't it safer to assume that science will be an endless-progression of discovery?

Am I missing the depressing part or something?

Probably. Better you should believe that existence is not the Seinfeld Show.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Hmm.. I don't find it depressing at all. There aren't any logical limitations of existence, or is-ness, and as a part of existence, I am not worried about much. I think there is value in existence itself, and, therefor, any part of it. What scientific discovery could possibly prove an intrinsic "meaning" in anything, anyway? The term "random" just annoys me... To assume something doesn't have a cause seems thoughtless... Isn't it safer to assume that science will be an endless-progression of discovery? Am I missing the depressing part or something?

'Hard' determinism is so easy to refute that it proves its opposite.

You missed the depressing part - terrific. Testament to an independent mind.

Reading the Rosenberg piece I got the same feeling that I got when listening to the Peggy Lee song "Is that all there is?"

Ba'al Chatzaf

Thanks for digging up that article. I loved it ... it immediately made me wonder what was the man's purpose.

For those who haven't read that page, check it out, and then read through the comments. They take some or most of the stuffing out of the argument he presented.