World To End This Saturday! The Bible Guarantees it!

Scottmkiv

"Beyond a shadow of doubt, May 21 will be the day of rapture and judgment." So declares Harold Camping. According to his "research", using the Bible as a calendar, he has calculated the exact day the world will end.

His message has been taken up by many Christians and Christian churches across the nation.

Retired MTA employee Robert Fitzpatrick spent his entire life savings buying billboards to warn others. There are many similar stories of people who have fallen for Camping's bs. What makes the situation even more amusing is that this isn't the first time Camping has predicted the end of the world. Camping originally predicted that the world would end on Sept 6, 1994.

Clearly, the world didn't end then. So, rather than admit that he was wrong and that the bible doesn't predict the future, he claimed a calculation error. He forgot to carry the biblical one, and the real date should be May 21, 2011.

Full Story

Objectivist Podcast

"Beyond a shadow of doubt, May 21 will be the day of rapture and judgment." So declares Harold Camping. According to his "research", using the Bible as a calendar, he has calculated the exact day the world will end.

His message has been taken up by many Christians and Christian churches across the nation.

Retired MTA employee Robert Fitzpatrick spent his entire life savings buying billboards to warn others. There are many similar stories of people who have fallen for Camping's bs. What makes the situation even more amusing is that this isn't the first time Camping has predicted the end of the world. Camping originally predicted that the world would end on Sept 6, 1994.

Clearly, the world didn't end then. So, rather than admit that he was wrong and that the bible doesn't predict the future, he claimed a calculation error. He forgot to carry the biblical one, and the real date should be May 21, 2011.

Full Story

Objectivist Podcast

crossref7.gif

Mark 13:32 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

Ba'al Chatzaf

And quite by coincidence I'm going to be in church that day, chaperoning a building tour at the U-U church in Oak Park IL. The building seems to have been Rand's source for Roark's Stoddard Temple.

Wait!! :huh: Does Franklin Graham know this? Pat Robertson?? Predicting the end of the world has always been a cash-cow for religious hucksters, of all types.

Don't all these guys know that the Mayan's calendar (according to numerous psycho-ceramic profiteers. Er, propheteers - in the most disreputable sense of that word) "foretells" that the world ends on December 21, 2012 :o:rolleyes: [well, actually, bona fide archeologists have replied, in vain, that the calendar says nothing of the sort].

In any case, putting aside the logical impossibility of foretelling the future, the Mayans did not have a very good track record in prophesying their own demise, since they completely missed predicting the destruction of their two great ages of civilzation, twice. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for neighboring tribes used as slaves or human sacrifices), they didn't get a third chance.

But we shouldn't pick on the poor Mayans. Moslems and Christians have beat them many times over. :lol:

I suggest looking on the bright side of this, yet another “Great Disappointment” in the making. When I was, I don’t know, 10 years old, there was an Orson Welles TV show that came on about Nostradamus that scared me silly. It predicted bad bad stuff would happen in the 80’s and 90’s. Of course none of it happened. I haven’t seen the show since then, and just did a YouTube search and whoopee, it’s there. I can’t wait to watch it again. Anyway, this is all part of casting off superstition, and it’s good because there’s a clear expiration date on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZIfnXxuWc

I just played the 1st 30 seconds, and the voice they give to Nostradamus sounds exactly like Richard Dawkins. This is going to be a riot.

And quite by coincidence I'm going to be in church that day, chaperoning a building tour at the U-U church in Oak Park IL. The building seems to have been Rand's source for Roark's Stoddard Temple.

Oh, wow, that is really cool! But don't tell too many people you are, or at least hang out with UU's. After all, I am the Resident Religionist<tm>.

Is there a website for that?

rde

There Can Only Be One

Wait!! :huh: Does Franklin Graham know this? Pat Robertson?? Predicting the end of the world has always been a cash-cow for religious hucksters, of all types.

Don't all these guys know that the Mayan's calendar (according to numerous psycho-ceramic profiteers. Er, propheteers - in the most disreputable sense of that word) "foretells" that the world ends on December 21, 2012 :o:rolleyes: [well, actually, bona fide archeologists have replied, in vain, that the calendar says nothing of the sort].

In any case, putting aside the logical impossibility of foretelling the future, the Mayans did not have a very good track record in prophesying their own demise, since they completely missed predicting the destruction of their two great ages of civilzation, twice. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for neighboring tribes used as slaves or human sacrifices), they didn't get a third chance.

But we shouldn't pick on the poor Mayans. Moslems and Christians have beat them many times over. :lol:

Just make sure when you buy a whole chicken, or a turkey, that it comes with the guts in that little bag. Then, lightly sautee', whilst looking deeply into them for signs.

rde

And be careful getting rid of the neck--even the strongest dispose-all can't handle that action; trust me, last Thangsviging proved that when it reanimated itself.

For about five years I used to save for one year, Jean Dixon's and other "seers" predictions for the coming year that were printed in the National Inquirer and then read them next January 1st. What a hoot. What a bunch of lying hucksters. Seance anyone?

I know that several churches like The Jehovah's Witnesses have predicted gloom over and over to scam their tithers but it they never learn.

I see Peter Reidy is hedging his bets, and will be in church that day. I thought that Rene Descarte rationale for saying you were a believer was passe.

"Oh lord . . won't you buy me . . . a Mercedez Benz?"

Peter Taylor