Evolution, Capitalism, and Rand - question for Bob Mac

Ellen Stuttle

Bob Mac,

When, if you next check out this site...

In post #84 of the "Reconsidering Rand's Ethics" thread, I posed a question to you which I've wondered about for some time.

That thread's now so far off-track, even if it gets back on-track there'd be a huge gap in continuity, so I've started a new thread.

I might have overstated in describing your feeling about Rand as "apparent virulent hatred of Rand for her supporting 'capitalism'," but you do become pretty incensed on the subject, even accusing her of devising her whole philosophy as a rationalization for her political preference.

Yet in my understanding of both "selfish gene" theory and current evolpsych thinking, her views on capitalism would be the political direction of choice. Thus I wonder if you understand what her views were.

Here's the original post:

Bob Mac,

Here's something I don't get about your apparent virulent hatred of Rand for her supporting "capitalism":

Don't you understand that what she was supporting is what's called in current evolpsych/"selfish-gene"-based parlance "reciprocal altruism." Ironically.

Granted that she had the "Is" wrong -- I've assumed we're talking about the same "Is," i.e., her idea that survival is the goal set to an organism by its biological nature -- the social system which would follow from current views on Darwinian selection is actually the same as hers: That is, leave people alone to decide for themselves, attempts at control by social engineering aren't in keeping with biological reality. I think that even Dawkins understands this, though he still wants social control, since he doesn't morally approve of the very biological reality he describes. Most evolpsych theorists have taken to being in favor of a conservative, leave-'em-alone viewpoint.

I wonder if somehow you equate "capitalism" with "social Darwinism" -- which Rand opposed -- and have never grasped her actual conception of "capitalism" as mutual trade to mutual advantage, both parties benefit.

Ellen

I might have overstated in describing your feeling about Rand as "apparent virulent hatred of Rand for her supporting 'capitalism'," but you do become pretty incensed on the subject, even accusing her of devising her whole philosophy as a rationalization for her political preference.

Yes this is overstated. I do believe Capitalism is the best, most appropriate, most "natural" if you will, economic system. LF Capitalism as Rand advocates is a different story though.

I believe regulated/policed capitalism along with mandatory taxation (though at lower levels) is the most defendable system based on reality and logic.

Edit: However I do believe that Rand started backwards from politics. A very bad political situation was indeed what inspired her, and the pieces fit nicely. This is one of the reasons that I dislike her as a person. I do not think she was honest. Dare I say this is perhaps a difference between reading her as an adult vs a teenager/adolescent.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Mac