Keith Olberman Bit The Big One At MSNBC

Michael Stuart Kelly

Keith Olberman Bit The Big One At MSNBC

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc4dc585" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=41201922^130^190270&width=420&height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc4dc585" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=41201922^130^190270&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Whew!

I'll just send one big blast of gratitude to the Great Beyond.

Michael

YES! Palin 2012 :)

I have decided I like her, that could change but I doubt it, she is the only real person out there.

NBC/CNBC/Comcast and Obama's newest czar who is the President of GE (who owns all of the, companies I just listed) know money talks and they know the last dregs of it can be scraped from the workers of America, too bad it will bite them in the ass. (I hope)

Edited by pippi

Folks:

Does anyone find it as psychotic as I do that GE is going to advise O'biwan on competition in business when they were granted a waiver to be included in the bailout funds that went to the banks?

This is the epitome of crony capitalism and Keith "count down to no ratings" Obermeister will not be desecrating the airwaves for a while.

Bye.

Adam

Folks:

Does anyone find it as psychotic as I do that GE is going to advise O'biwan on competition in business when they were granted a waiver to be included in the bailout funds that went to the banks?

This is the epitome of crony capitalism and Keith "count down to no ratings" Obermeister will not be desecrating the airwaves for a while.

Bye.

Adam

It is more than psychotic, it may be evil. I noticed as well and it is upsetting.

I have decided I like her, that could change but I doubt it, she is the only real person out there.

NBC/CNBC/Comcast and Obama's newest czar who is the President of GE (who owns all of the, companies I just listed) know money talks and they know the last dregs of it can be scraped from the workers of America, too bad it will bite them in the ass. (I hope)

Oh, they're all real--real statists. It's tag-team bitch-slapping of the citizenry, most of whom seem to like it.

--Brant

Oh, they're all real--real statists. It's tag-team bitch-slapping of the citizenry, most of whom seem to like it.

--Brant

Very true. Are we as pathetic as "third world" countries in our subservience?

I guess it is way too late to ask that question. :(

It is an odd story. GE's ownership of some small Utah thrifts apparently put them under a different regulatory scheme than the other big finance outfits, which ultimately let them take advantage of fed-backed loan guarantees and let them access credit and get out of the crunch. I note that GE got their participation approved in October mid-November of 2008. The details of the maneouvering and its aftermath in this decent four-part Washington Post story from June of 2009.

If you find it psychotic, and pp finds it evil, placing Obama firmly in the Satan+Dracula+Stalin vortex, I find it a considered political move by the Administration. The GE CEO replaces former Fed chair Volcker. If Obama keeps moving active and successful business folk into these kinds of advisory positions, who knows, maybe the result will be more investment from cash-flush companies like GE who benefitted from bailouts, and perhaps more jobs.

+++++++++++

-- corrected the date that GE became eligible.

Edited by william.scherk

If Obama keeps moving active and successful business folk into these kinds of advisory positions, who knows, maybe the result will be more investment from cash-flush companies like GE who benefitted from bailouts, and perhaps more jobs.

You are llving in a dream world. I am disappointed. I thought your ire might have had a backbone.

If Obama keeps moving active and successful business folk into these kinds of advisory positions, who knows, maybe the result will be more investment from cash-flush companies like GE who benefitted from bailouts, and perhaps more jobs.

You are llving in a dream world.

Maybe. You seem to be a lot more certain of a darkening future than I am. I get the feeling you think unemployment will stay the same or worsen, cash-flush companies will sit on their funds, and that the US will stagger into a pit of pain and horror.

I will bet you that US unemployment comes down, investment goes up, and Obama gets reelected in 2012.

You are llving in a dream world.

Maybe. You seem to be a lot more certain of a darkening future than I am. I get the feeling you think unemployment will stay the same or worsen, cash-flush companies will sit on their funds, and that the US will stagger into a pit of pain and horror.

I will bet you that US unemployment comes down, investment goes up, and Obama gets reelected in 2012.

Guy earns 100g gets fired then makes 15g. College grad with 78g student loan gets a job making 17g. Employment goes up.

Guy buys factory in Thailand and expands it. Investment goes up.

GOP nominates a nothing nobody Obama gets reelected.

--Brant

it's the American way

The whole suspension thing from a few months ago seemed stage managed, this less so, but I’m reflexively suspicious of media shenanigans. He was their most popular personality, right? Doesn’t add up.

I'll give Kabletown (OK, Comcast) some props here.

I kinda wonder how much money MSNBC is making for them.

Olbermann was the biggest name on MSNBC for a long time, but my understanding is that he's been displaced by Rachel Maddow.

As for Jeff Immelt going to the White House, does anyone remember Gerard Swope?

Immelt's had his hand out for subsidies. Not just TARP money. He's heavily into "green energy" projects.

Obama might as well have invited Steve Rattner to head his council.

Robert Campbell

The whole suspension thing from a few months ago seemed stage managed, this less so, but I'm reflexively suspicious of media shenanigans. He was their most popular personality, right? Doesn't add up.

The change of corporate ownership means they're moving the network more to the center in order to increase ratings. If you liked O or not--I never watched him except once and he stunk--it's all garbage. This country is of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. Via Washington, they're now coming after the Internet.

--Brant

Gaede wrote: "If you liked O or not--I never watched him except once and he stunk--it's all garbage. This country is of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations."

What does this statement even mean?

I weary of sweeping, perfervid, apparently straight-faced ideological declarations that, taken literally, have no intelligible relationship to reality. Pretending to be comprehensive and exhaustive, they imply the nonexistence of all other relevant cultural, social and political facts. They convey nothing and illuminate nothing.

Sounds like Noam Chomsky to me. Internet news and opinion sources are the counterweight to this (big media, corporate hegemony), which I suppose is why he’s saying “they’re now coming after the Internet.” I’m not sure what he means concretely, maybe he’ll expand on it for us.

Gaede wrote: "If you liked O or not--I never watched him except once and he stunk--it's all garbage. This country is of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations."

I weary of sweeping, perfervid, apparently straight-faced ideological declarations that, taken literally, have no intelligible relationship to reality. Pretending to be comprehensive and exhaustive, they imply the nonexistence of all other relevant cultural, social and political facts. They convey nothing and illuminate nothing.

Oh, those other things exist, either as illusions or irrelevancies. Sorry I don't have time to write an essay, but I just don't. In the meantime, enjoy the ethanol eating up your engine and its systems. Enjoy the expensive drugs that lower your cholesterol but not your risk of a heart attack or stroke. Enjoy all the unnecessary, dangerous vaccines egregiously pumped into your babies and children. Enjoy the corn syrup sugar in your soft drinks and your feedlot hormone antibiotic beef. Enjoy the windmills and solar arrays and too expensive electricity. Enjoy your children's mind-destroying public education (right through college). Enjoy your oil wars. All these are better than "perfervid . . . ideological declarations." Yes, indeed.

--Brant

the future is 'bright'

When Glenn Beck predicted this last November, he made Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" list:

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc646dc3" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=40326028^28856^146017&width=420&height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc646dc3" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=40326028^28856^146017&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Michael

Sorry I don't have time to write an essay, but I just don't. In the meantime, enjoy the ethanol eating up your engine and its systems. Enjoy the expensive drugs that lower your cholesterol but not your risk of a heart attack or stroke. Enjoy all the unnecessary, dangerous vaccines egregiously pumped into your babies and children. Enjoy the corn syrup sugar in your soft drinks and your feedlot hormone antibiotic beef. Enjoy the windmills and solar arrays and too expensive electricity. Enjoy your children's mind-destroying public education (right through college). Enjoy your oil wars.

Quite a package to unpick. If I could get into Brant's mind and look out on the USA, I would probably shiver in horror. All is bad, all is moving towards more badness, and all activities seem to be flails of helpless creatures circling the drain.

I kind of understand Brant's depression. If all these things are evil beyond evil, then surely the USA is doomed. If Brant's perceptions are true to life, there is not much to be done but don the sandwich board and bear witness: The End Of The World Is Nigh.

One thing sticks out in the swirl of evil, however -- vaccines. Vaccines are pumped into babies and children. Vaccines are unnecessary. Vaccines are dangerous.

I can see the drawbacks of ethanol production and use in the USA, via evil subsidies, via evil effects on small engines, via evil distortions of the market. I can see the evil of big pharma pushing drugs that do not work as advertized. I can see the full horror of modern education turning out collectivist zombies. I can see the awesome nightmare of soda-guzzling drones staggering to Walmart to turn in their food stamps for hormone saturated beef, and runnels of beefy antibiotics coursing into groundwater to deform a future generation, and I can see the evil windmills and evil solar plants churning out horror upon horror. I can see this vast evil conglomerate rampaging over all that is good and pure.

But vaccines?

Brant, have you adopted the paranoia of the anti-vaccine kooks?

Edited by william.scherk

Sorry I don't have time to write an essay, but I just don't. In the meantime, enjoy the ethanol eating up your engine and its systems. Enjoy the expensive drugs that lower your cholesterol but not your risk of a heart attack or stroke. Enjoy all the unnecessary, dangerous vaccines egregiously pumped into your babies and children. Enjoy the corn syrup sugar in your soft drinks and your feedlot hormone antibiotic beef. Enjoy the windmills and solar arrays and too expensive electricity. Enjoy your children's mind-destroying public education (right through college). Enjoy your oil wars.

Quite a package to unpick. If I could get into Brant's mind and look out on the USA, I would probably shiver in horror. All is bad, all is moving towards more badness, and all activities seem to be flails of helpless creatures circling the drain.

I kind of understand Brant's depression. If all these things are evil beyond evil, then surely the USA is doomed. If Brant's perceptions are true to life, there is not much to be done but don the sandwich board and bear witness: The End Of The World Is Nigh.

One thing sticks out in the swirl of evil, however -- vaccines. Vaccines are pumped into babies and children. Vaccines are unnecessary. Vaccines are dangerous.

I can see the drawbacks of ethanol production and use in the USA, via evil subsidies, via evil effects on small engines, via evil distortions of the market. I can see the evil of big pharma pushing drugs that do not work as advertized. I can see the full horror of modern education turning out collectivist zombies. I can see the awesome nightmare of soda-guzzling drones staggering to Walmart to turn in their food stamps for hormone saturated beef, and runnels of beefy antibiotics coursing into groundwater to deform a future generation, and I can see the evil windmills and evil solar plants churning out horror upon horror. I can see this vast evil conglomerate rampaging over all that is good and pure.

But vaccines?

Brant, have you adopted the paranoia of the anti-vaccine kooks?

I'm not depressed, but I am under terrible stress from several sources. Nothing I can't handle. I'm also in transition. You see, I used to be a statist fool or a fool for the state. But the American state has gone so bad so wrong it's intolerable for someone like myself. It's a life crusher crushing life. Fortunately it's self-destructing. Unfortunately that means a lot of people are getting hurt and a lot more will. I don't know what is going to come out of the other end. I suspect it'll be fragmented fascism. Maybe the Republicans will surprise me--yeah, right. Well, we'll see. I'm out of the loop on that; too much involved with other things.

--Brant

without going into much detail I'd want my non-existent baby to have some vaccines but not others--the most unnecessary vaccine for children is the chickenpox vaccine--it's widespread use appears to cause more shingles in adults while hardly benefiting children at all--flu vaccine is generally worthless

I'd want my non-existent baby to have some vaccines but not others--the most unnecessary vaccine for children is the chickenpox vaccine--it's widespread use appears to cause more shingles in adults while hardly benefiting children at all

The death rate from chickenpox has plunged in the USA and Canada since vaccination became widespread. Some studies earlier this decade suggested that future adult/elderly cases of shingles might increase over time. In any case, folks over sixty can get the shingles vaccine. Glad to see you haven't gone over to anti-vaccine kookery, Brant.

As for the 'flu shots don't work,' so you say. Don't get one.

I'd want my non-existent baby to have some vaccines but not others--the most unnecessary vaccine for children is the chickenpox vaccine--it's widespread use appears to cause more shingles in adults while hardly benefiting children at all

The death rate from chickenpox has plunged in the USA and Canada since vaccination became widespread. Some studies earlier this decade suggested that future adult/elderly cases of shingles might increase over time. In any case, folks over sixty can get the shingles vaccine. Glad to see you haven't gone over to anti-vaccine kookery, Brant.

As for the 'flu shots don't work,' so you say. Don't get one.

What was the death rate from chickenpox? I have no idea there was one worth mentioning.

--Brant

What was the death rate from chickenpox? I have no idea there was one worth mentioning.

Around 150 deaths a year, in adults and children. Worth mentioning?

Around 150 deaths a year, in adults and children. Worth mentioning?

William:

Modern parents are still having, as did parents in the past, chicken pox parties wherein they are intentionally exposing their children to the pox, in order to "self vaccinate" them.

http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag/issues/20090111/Inside+New+York+Chicken+Pox+Parties