Art Quiz

reason.on

I find it a fascinating and useful exercise in terms of learning to understand and appreciate art, to try and identify the creator of works of art just by looking at and examining the work itself. So, for the fun of it, here is a little art apprec 101 quiz (this one is relatively easy). I'll post answers later. Have fun!

RULES: NO REFERENCE MATERIALS (a la Google) & NO CHEATING (by looking at the image file name or ref. source!!)

2prado.jpg

41baptis_carvagio.jpg

01hare.jpg

u_venus_titian.jpg

01nebuch_blake.jpg

Victor_Hugo-Octopus.jpg

308goya.jpg

204turne.jpg

gauguin_vangogh.jpg

picasso11.jpg

Kl3.jpg

RCR

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hint: one is a fave of AR's.

But not primarily in painting...

:cool:

By-the-by, if anyone genuinely wants to take a crack at the quiz, but doesn't want to influence others' answers by posting onlist, feel free to send me your answers offlist (through the site), and I'll let you know how you did.

RCR

Gentle subtle hints...or not so subtle:

One of the artists was a serious ass depressed mystic. Another artist here was a contemporary of Michael Angelo -- and he painted various thinkers [wink-wink]. And yet another artist wasn’t recognized in his life time, the poor chap. [How many artists fit the bill there, huh?]

edit:

The "serious-ass mystic" had a connection to Dante's Inferno. :devil:

No more hints!!

Edited by Victor Pross

One of the artists was a serious ass depressed mystic. Another artist here was a contemporary of Michael Angelo -- and he painted various thinkers [wink-wink]. And yet another artist wasn't recognized in his life time, the poor chap. [How many artists fit the bill there, huh?]

edit:

No more hints!!

I'm more than a little dubious of your Michaelangelo clue, and I'm wondering who you think you are seeing here (the artist/painting that comes to mind is not represented in this quiz)...mind letting me know, offlist? I wouldn't want the gentle quiz takers to be needlessly lead astray.

RCR

Edited by R. Christian Ross

One of the artists was a serious ass depressed mystic. Another artist here was a contemporary of Michael Angelo -- and he painted various thinkers [wink-wink]. And yet another artist wasn't recognized in his life time, the poor chap. [How many artists fit the bill there, huh?]

edit:

No more hints!!

I'm more than a little dubious of your Michaelangelo clue, and I'm wondering who you think you are seeing here (the artist/painting that comes to mind is not represented in this quiz)...mind letting me know, offlist? I wouldn't want the gentle quiz takers to be needlessly lead astray.

It turns out that Victor was thinking of the wrong artist and the wrong time period for the painting. There is, however, a contemporary of Michaelangelo represented in the quiz, but the second part of Victor's clue about "various thinkers" is NOT applicable to that artist, so kindly disregard the "clue"...

RCR

Damn! And the style is so similar.

Actually....the styles and techniques of the two artists (who shall remain nameless for the moment) are wildly different. As I mentioned, they lived in two distinct artistic epochs (though fairly close to one another in time), and the artist not represented here (the one you were thinking of) was much more advanced with his figure-work, chiaroscuro, and perspective than was the artist of #1.

RCR

Damn! And the style is so similar.

Actually....the styles and techniques of the two artists (who shall remain nameless for the moment) are wildly different. As I mentioned, they lived in two distinct artistic epochs (though fairly close to one another in time), and the artist not represented here (the one you were thinking of) was much more advanced with his figure-work, chiaroscuro, and perspective than was the artist of #1.

RCR

Well, it's a judgement call. Yes, I agree that [blank] was more advanced--technique-wise, but similar subject matter and style can be seen there. Let the viewers decide once you reveal the artist's true identities. :turned:

Edited by Victor Pross

Well, it's a judgement call. Yes, I agree that [blank] was more advanced--technique-wise, but similar subject matter and style can be seen there. Let the viewers decide once you reveal the artists true identities. :turned:

I intend to compare/contrast the two once folks have had time to participate in the quiz; it might make for good discussion.

RCR

Question: Do 6 - 11 classify as "art" according to the "if it ain't representational, it ain't art" school?

Probably 5 could pass, though it isn't "realistic." But 6 - 11?

6 might do if it was used as an illustration for a certain novel which I won't name.

7 isn't showing up well on my screen, and I can't make out the figures; maybe they're more realistic than they look on the screen.

8: I'm not seeing anything clearly identifiable being depicted there, though, again, the unclarity might partly be due to its not showing well on my screen.

9 I'd say is in a transition line between "representational" and "abstract."

10 likewise, though it's nearer to the "representational" border.

11 is so close to the "abstract" border as to have almost crossed it.

E-

___

Edited by Ellen Stuttle

A couple more questions:

Is a Tibetan mandala "art" according to the "art must be representational" school? It's meant to "represent" a spiritual city, and it has height as done, though the height doesn't show up in photographs taken from above.

The famous Notre Dame rose window (a Western mandala) which RCR linked on one of these art threads, I gather is considered non-art by Victor. But suppose there had been some human figures in some of the panes?

And that Frank Lloyd Wright glass pane, the vertical, blue-and-white one (again RCR linked that on another thread, but I've forgotten which): suppose a figure had been positioned along the vertical central axis, say an ibis, or the outline of a human figure: would it then be art?

Ellen

___

Question: Do 6 - 11 classify as "art" according to the "if it ain't representational, it ain't art" school?

Of course, I myself was wondering the same (and intentionally chose 6-8 for their pre-modern "abstract-ness")...thanks for drawing out the question.

RCR

An interesting example of increasing abstraction in the work of an artist is a series of paintings of trees by Mondriaan, where you can see the transition from a recognizable tree to an increasingly abstract geometric pattern:

mondriaan1.jpg

The Red Tree - 1908

mondriaan2.jpg

The Grey Tree - 1911

mondriaan3.jpg

Apple Tree - 1912

I'm sure Victor and I would agree that that is art. It is actually very good and I very much like it.

Since it's by one of the three Arch-Fiends of modern art -- the other two being Kandinsky and Malevich -- if Victor does agree that it's art, hmmm...

Ellen

PS: Speaking of Malevich: J., RCR, Dragonfly, could any or all of you post some samples of his work?

___

I'm sure Victor and I would agree that that is art. It is actually very good and I very much like it.

Since it's by one of the three Arch-Fiends of modern art -- the other two being Kandinsky and Malevich -- if Victor does agree that it's art, hmmm...

Ellen

PS: Speaking of Malevich: J., RCR, Dragonfly, could any or all of you post some samples of his work?

___

What distinguishes an abstract painting from art is not the artist that made the work: it is the work itself. I can paint an abstract painting and also paint a representational one. If one of the fiends of modernism painted something that looks like a tree...then he painted something that looks a tree.

Edited by Victor Pross