November 2, 2012

--Brant Peter Gaede

I love you

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts with you, Brant.

Oh Brant, there are no words. I can only tell you one thing I know, and that Stephen knows. When your one love dies, the love he gave you does not. It is yours forever, the deepest riches of the world, and the person who has become part of you remains so forever, dearly with you beyond the nightmare of pain and sorrow.

I am so sorry for your loss, Brant.

I have not mentioned it yet but my brother has stage four pancreatic cancer. Yesterday he had the hospice people come for the first time. He was operated on a month ago to remove some of his intestine and he has not had a good day since. It is a horrible cancer.

Peter

I don't know what happened. I didn't see the part Brant deleted. Apparently something shatteringly awful. I'm sorry for the loss, Brant, whatever the particulars.

Ellen

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time now, so I've also missed what happened. Whatever it was, Brant, my heart goes out to you, brother.

J

I lost my mother to cancer. She had breast cancer which metastatized to her bone. A thoroughly hideous death.

You have had a lot of pain and you have my condolences.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Selected Poems of W.H. Auden

by W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead

Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,

Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,

Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;

I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.

For nothing now can ever come to any good . . . .

I just buried our +15 yo cat Vajram in our backyard. He died at 4:30 this morning, likely 2 weeks to the hour ago that Rodney died. I remember bringing him home as a kitten and how excited Rodney was to name him and his half brother, who came a week or so later. That was Pavakah, who died several years ago. He gave them last names too, now mostly forgotten. One meant something like "Eternal Fire"--maybe that was Vajram Makacah, dunno. I buried him with a few of Rodney's funerary flowers I brought back with me from western North Carolina. I left the red artificial rose planted on top.

Losing Rodney and the way he was lost to me, family and friends, was so traumatic it has wrenched me into a new personal reality in which a big chunk of me is missing and will stay missing. The only way I can transcend this is to grow myself bigger so the ratio of me to loss grows too. Swatted to the floor and stomped on and a with household of obligations, I can't start doing this now. In 16 and a half months I'll be 70. I'll start in 12.

--Brant

edit: Vajram means "Diamond"--means eternal fire, from within the diamond

Good to hear from you, Brant. Sorry about Vajram on top losing Rodney. Our cat died several months after Jer. That was unexpected and crummy, making me even more alone.

Hoping week by week you might win more memory portion for the good things with Rodney. I had a long time really getting back to memories of the good years with Jer, or for that matter, getting my head away from his last days and hours in the hospital room. I was with him when he died. We were alone. That was such a horrible thing to endure, and I cannot begin to fathom the extra horror you endured and how colossally hard it will be to get the ending into balance with the full time of your years together. I cried a couple times a day for a year. I was a step better by a year and much better after three years. I could eventually have my memories of him without all the pain of the end. Hoping you can live so long as to reach that meadow of clear and warm memories and of knowing the fortune of love you had and have.

Brant,

Almost anything I could say about hanging in there would come off as a platitude, so I won't say it. Pain of loss is pain pure and simple and it sucks.

I have to risk one, though. I hope it doesn't piss you off.

You have wisdom. That's not a replacement for what you have lost, but it's something. It can warm you a little on a cold, cold night.

And, there are many people out here who care about you.

I am one. So is Kat.

Michael

That was his high school graduation photo. Some months later he disappeared from North Carolina, from family and friends. His mother spent every cent she had trying to find him for the next 18 months. Everybody kept telling her he was dead, even presenting her with a body. She would have none of it. I finally got them re-connected. You can imagine how she felt hearing his voice again, with no preamble. We still don't know why he did that except it was part and parcel of what eventually killed him.

--Brant

That you started this thread, Brant, with Wesley's haunting hymn - instinctively with music - has so made me remember. Bereavement echoes, I will only speak of my mother's funeral, she died so unexpectedly that I could do nothing but focus on choosing the hymns and composing the eulogy. And after the funeral I could do literally nothing, but listen to Handel and plan my own funeral, because I knew, absolutely, that I had to get it done because there was no reason I should not just drop dead too at any minute, and I still know that. I could do nothing but this, trying to decide at what point to have "O Grave Where is thy Victory" played in the service, for two days. And this interesting interval ended in a DUI which I well deserved.