FOR THOSE IN THE CHICAGO AREA

ginny

This Sunday at 7:00 p.m., the Dank Haus on Western Avenue in Chicago is showing the movie SOPHIE SCHOLL, HER FINAL DAYS. For those not familiar with the story, the two Scholl siblings and some of their friends were university students in Munich in the 1940. Their opposition to Nazism was unequival. They were organized and distributed their anti-nazi material all over Germany facing danger to their lives each day. These fearless, brave youngsters came pretty damn close to upsetting the whole Nazi regime. But they were just a handful. They were caught and beheaded.

The story is an unbelievable example of young people refusing any kind of compromise to the life they wanted. They were defiant to the very end. My favorite line from the book is at the end of the trial, when the judge asks how such properly raised students could do what they had done. Utterly calm and unemotional, Sophie told the court, "Well, someone had to make a start, right?"

To those in the Chicago area who are interested, I highly recommend you check it out. The movie is in German with English subtitles.

BTW, the book on which this movie is based is out of print, but probably can be had through Amazon. I highly recommend it. It deals not only with the final days and trial of the Scholl siblings, it depicts their life story. And it's a story worth reading.

Ginny

There are several books dealing with Sophie Scholl and the White Rose listed in Amazon, along with the DVD of the movie - which is supposedly the source for the movie, as none listed say as title, Sophie Scholl, Her Final Days?

Edited by anonrobt

The title of the book is "A Noble Treason, The Revolt of the Munich Students Against Hitler" by Richard Hanser. The White Rose was the secret code name the group named itself. If you get this book (it's worth any price), PLEASE let me know how you like it. It's my own personal bible.

To the best of my knowledge, the only other book is written by the oldest sister (she wasn't at the university and wasn't a part of the White Rose). I can't find my copy right now, but I believe its title is "The White Rose." This book mainly contains a reprinting of the literature/pamphlets that these wonderful students wrote, printed on an illegal printing press and disseminated throughout the country. It was the illegal printing press that eventually did them in.

Ginny

Robert, I was just on Amazon. I am totally floored. I had no idea there were so many books on the Scholls. I just ordered up four of the ones I didn't have. Thanks a billion for turning me on to this. I feel so stupid not knowing about them. But anyway, the one I read is A Noble Treason and Inge Scholl's account of her younger siblings.

Happy reading. Like I said, I'd really like to know what you think, if you get them.

Robert, I was just on Amazon. I am totally floored. I had no idea there were so many books on the Scholls. I just ordered up four of the ones I didn't have. Thanks a billion for turning me on to this. I feel so stupid not knowing about them. But anyway, the one I read is A Noble Treason and Inge Scholl's account of her younger siblings.

Happy reading. Like I said, I'd really like to know what you think, if you get them.

They're on my list...

The story is an unbelievable example of young people refusing any kind of compromise to the life they wanted. They were defiant to the very end. My favorite line from the book is at the end of the trial, when the judge asks how such properly raised students could do what they had done. Utterly calm and unemotional, Sophie told the court, "Well, someone had to make a start, right?"

To those in the Chicago area who are interested, I highly recommend you check it out. The movie is in German with English subtitles.

BTW, the book on which this movie is based is out of print, but probably can be had through Amazon. I highly recommend it. It deals not only with the final days and trial of the Scholl siblings, it depicts their life story. And it's a story worth reading.

Ginny

I am positive that Sophie's sarcasm flew right over the head of the judge. Sophie was Lutheran. If she had been Jewish she would have said to the judge "kush mir im tuchas" (kiss my ass). In either case Sophie loses her head.

Peaceful resistance (or non-violent resistance) does not work against people like the Nazis. The only reason it worked against the British in India, is because the British are at their base a decent lot. Not so for the Nazis. They are evil to the bone. Only physical destruction works on their type. That is why Germany had to be bombed to rubble to put a stop to them. The Scholl's were very heroic and not effective. My Uncle with the Norden bomb sight and a B-17 was not a hero, but he was effective. He killed Nazis and blew up their shit. Consider which approach works and which does not.

Ba'al Chatzaf