Hot Times at Objectivist Living

Even Kenny left.

The bastards killed Kenny!

I do not see the distinctions or the problems. I post mostly at RoR. I believe that it has a larger readership and the posters are more cogent. I come here because it is quieter. I stopped using SOLO for a few weeks from convenience and forgot my passwords and just never bothered to re-up. Both RoR and SOLO have had purges and exilements. You live with that among Objectivists. The alternative is that trolls bother you with impossible challenges about Ayn Rand's make up. ("She wore rouge!") So, for me, I post where I do to publicize my own ideas. Only lack of time prevents me from signing on with Noodlefood.

Over break I am reading academic books on egoism. One of these university philosophers "reduced" egoism to the "absurd" conclusion that a true egoist would not be concerned with anyone else's opinion. Imagine that. So, I post to put my own works out on the internet where future generations can benefit from them. Saving Bezel Schmuckfasser from his own errors is not my primary concern.

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

An amusing thread, this.

I think the people that enjoy discussing ideas are an odd breed. With lots of other things in life, success is the best reply, but with ideas, how exactly does one go about that? There really isn’t the space or time, nor is online the place, for thorough replies—and it really isn’t like inviting someone into your home. I used to think forums were like having friends over for dinner, but now I know that is not the case. I am sure many of you would never invite some of the posters to your home. ;)

One thing that has puzzled me is also the assumption that posters will naturally get along and like each other. That, if you just argue in the right way you will have people on your side. But, I think the truth is more that if you argue someone else’s idea they will be on your side. ;) I seem to notice that one’s ideas land them exactly where they are in life. (hahahah, that is as bitchy as I get.)

Michael

One thing that has puzzled me is also the assumption that posters will naturally get along and like each other.

I for one have never held such an assumption but instead the assumption that people on elists won't "naturally [all] get along and like each other."

Having said which, this seems the right place to wish everyone Happy Holidays before I disappear for a couple days' Xmas break.

ES

___

Michael Stuart Kelly,

I wish you and Kat a happy holiday and a prosperous New Year.

Now why not buy a marvelous Ojo so we can see each other from time to time? In a few years everyone will have an Ojo and it is not too late to be the first one in your neighborhood to have an Ojo. I use my Ojo daily to see my friends all over the country. It is wonderful and is a real telephone independent of the PC.

Makes a great gift. If you and Kat each had one you would be able to see each other whenever you are apart.

I fear I am being overbearing. Have a good holiday and thanks for this website.

Wm

An amusing thread, this.

I think the people that enjoy discussing ideas are an odd breed. With lots of other things in life, success is the best reply, but with ideas, how exactly does one go about that? There really isn’t the space or time, nor is online the place, for thorough replies—and it really isn’t like inviting someone into your home. I used to think forums were like having friends over for dinner, but now I know that is not the case. I am sure many of you would never invite some of the posters to your home. ;)

Michael

Michael, you are always welcome to dinner with me! Okay, okay . . . I promise not to cook! :)

As for the rest of you, well . . . I'd cook for you! muhahaha (that is my "evil" laugh . . . corny, but evil)

Michael, you are always welcome to dinner with me! Okay, okay . . . I promise not to cook! :)

As for the rest of you, well . . . I'd cook for you! muhahaha (that is my "evil" laugh . . . corny, but evil)

Ginnie,

What a deliciously bad girl you are.

Michael

P.S. I don't need to mention your are always welcome at, on, or beneath my table. ;)

I haven't been over there lately, but William reminds me of how I miss free entertainment (or at least the opportunity to drive by stunning car wrecks) by not doing so.