Good-bye, and thanks.

Victor Pross

Victor -- Sounds like you've run into the problem many of us face: just not enough time to do all the things we want. I consider myself a part-timer on discussion boards because I'm doing all my TAS stuff and don't have time to read much less reply to all that is interesting and important on the boards.

But I do keep an eye on them and throw in an occasional comment when I can.

I've enjoyed your drawings, the posts of yours that I've read and seeing your joy in your romantic discovery. So I hope you'll stick around, even if on the sidelines, throwing in comments as occasions arise.

Best regards,

Ed Hudgins

Victor,

You've been a major contributor to this site, and I'll miss your regular posts as well as your marvelous caricatures.

We all have to find the right balance between our cyber-activities and everything else that we do.

My best to you and Angie.

And don't get caught up in no pig-rasslin', you hear?

Robert Campbell

Thanks for clarifying. Cornelius! Ha! Roddy McDowell was a friend of the Reagans I believe.

I am a huge Chuck Heston fan! Even though the poor man is suffering from Alzheimers, as a Life Member of the American Redneck Association, Charlton Heston is My President!!! We can all argue about the "God" part, but guns and guts, they made America! Yee hah!

Hey, I wish you well, and just remember when you come back if you have to post fewer times, but be the author of your own words it is for the better. I went back to Madame Bovary and have to agree with Barbara Branden on this, though as I am younger than she and older than you, I think it's a generational thing at root.

She is from the generation between World War II and Korea; I was born in the first month of Generation X; I believe you are from Generation Whatever. To many younger people, it's no big deal, the cutting and pasting of material across the internet. To them, the web is just one big electronic scrapbook of sorts.

However, as someone who's had my writings on classical music literally cut-and-pasted by RCA Records and used on their website, I can sympathize with those who are concerned about the plagiarism problem adhering to us. I am constantly having to have my lawyer send out "cease and desist" letters to people who use my photographs (particularly of Russell Means and an oil rig, which is my most sold image) as their own. Even if just a discussion starter, please keep in mind that writers are very sensitive to having their material lifted and used without their permission. For one, it is an issue of intellectual property rights. But, the second is the most important: Writers are basically slave labor these days, and it is bad enough that we are paid in dirt (disclaimer: TNI pays me fairly) and then seeing our work used by others adds insult to injury.

With that said, Victor you're still a great guy in my book. I know you prefer the word artist to cartoonist, but consider this: "Cartoonist" is considerably more lowbrow, and while the word may not generate the same respect as "artist," it lowers people's guard when they are interviewing you. This is one reason as a photographer I don't call myself an artist, but just photographer. Then, when you're interviewed, your audience can always say "wow, he's really articulate for a cartoonist, so intelligent." Just throwing it out there. Remember, Pat Oliphant called himself a "cartoonist."

Go forth young man boldly into that good twilight! (To borrow somewhat from a favorite Welsh poet). :)

Vic & CNA:

~ AW-w-w-w-w...damn. Just accidentally caught this thread. Yer leaving our cyber-world?

~ Almost don't blame ya what with the never-ending castigations (I TOL' YA, way back, Vic!) you won't be allowed to 'live down.' Also wasn't aware of the RoR thing nor what CNA reffed ('till checked; MSK: are you a masochist? I really can't keep up with this stuff!)

~ Granted, this cyber-discussion stuff is addictive, given the right subject (and, for everyone, there is one). Sorta like dropping into a mall-sized cafe, walking around and hearing different discussions on you-name-it and finding "Oh, there's an interesting one!" and, you're sitting down 'discussing' it. The only prob is finding some of the discussers are more disgusting than discussing and aren't worth wasting time with; ignore the 'speculating gossipers' in as diplomatic a way one can is my new motto; but, c'est la vie, non? Next table.

~ GL to both of you, and hope to hear from either/both again...here (BEST PLACE in the Mall!)

MTFBWY

LLAP

J:D

Vic:

~ I'll really miss your commentings in the AESTHETICS forum. But, I'll try to 'carry the torch' in my own :frantics: , plebian :blink:, ignorant :turned:, plodding :ermm:, confused :unsure:, hard-to-understand-for-some :huh:, (feel guilty yet?), ntl, non-altruistic :super:, way.

~ You'll both be missed. :cry:

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

Barbara:

~ You thought your eyes got crossed before? Heh, heh, heh...and especially, HEH! Ya ain't read nuthin', yet. :devil:

Kori:

~ You clearly are not 'IRC' conversant with 'acronyms' made up for common phrasings (due to need for 'speed typing' therein with several 'real-time' conversations going simultaneously). NeverTheLess (hint, hint), I'll break you in as easily, and as convolutedly Byzantinely, as I can; heh, heh, heh.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

Ah, nevertheless! I could've figured that out. I should've tried harder! I'm usually pretty good with the acronyms, but you throw out so many sometimes that I just say, "Huh?!" I have to decode your posts, dude. :lol:

I'm more of a type-it-out-completely kinda gal. :devil: :lol:

Kori:

~ Hmmm...'type-it-out-completely'; if commonly used (which it wasn't in IRC), you know how that would look.

~ Also, some dislike 'hyphenated' phrasings (all those 'dashes'), so, you don't want to get classed with me. I'm a bit too quirky in my typing style for some.

LLAP

PS: Ntl, I knew you could figure it out...one day. I just take a bit too much for granted in my ancient (8-yr) habits I guess.

PPS: I don't plan on changing...more than I have already (and yes, I have...but for these parentheticals and now 'Addendums'; ah, well...)

Ah, nevertheless! I could've figured that out. I should've tried harder! I'm usually pretty good with the acronyms, but you throw out so many sometimes that I just say, "Huh?!" I have to decode your posts, dude. :lol:

I'm more of a type-it-out-completely kinda gal. :devil: :lol:

Kori: I can sympathize with you. I spent 17 years in the military (14 in the Army and 3 in the New York State Guard) and EVERYTHING in the military is an acronym. A soldier gets so loaded up with acronyms that after ten years, he begins to get what's known as "acronym overload," and either can't say anything if it's not an acronym or can't remember what even the most widely-used acronyms mean anymore, like SOL, PDQ, SNAFU and USA!

Kori:

~ Hmmm...'type-it-out-completely'; if commonly used (which it wasn't in IRC), you know how that would look.

~ Also, some dislike 'hyphenated' phrasings (all those 'dashes'), so, you don't want to get classed with me. I'm a bit too quirky in my typing style for some.

LLAP

PS: Ntl, I knew you could figure it out...one day. I just take a bit too much for granted in my ancient (8-yr) habits I guess.

PPS: I don't plan on changing...more than I have already (and yes, I have...but for these parentheticals and now 'Addendums'; ah, well...)

LOL, I don't expect you to change. I just have to work harder when I read your postings. *sigh* One day I'll only talk in acronyms. Liek, WTF, OMG, dude!?!!!!!!!!11111111111 :lol:

Kori: I can sympathize with you. I spent 17 years in the military (14 in the Army and 3 in the New York State Guard) and EVERYTHING in the military is an acronym. A soldier gets so loaded up with acronyms that after ten years, he begins to get what's known as "acronym overload," and either can't say anything if it's not an acronym or can't remember what even the most widely-used acronyms mean anymore, like SOL, PDQ, SNAFU and USA!

I don't know the meaning of most of those you listed. :shocked: I had no idea that you were in the army, Robert. I thought you were probably 25 or so. :blink::)

Jeff; My favorite is FIGMO.

My favorite is F-U. And I don't mean F-U, Chris. :)

What's FIGMO and SOP? I think we all know what FUBAR is...

BTW - It took me quite awhile to figure out Kori's old nickname, BAMF. Funny name for a girly girl. :shocked:

Kat

I don't know what FUBAR is! :shocked: I was glad you figured out my nickname, Kat. I'm no girly girl though, that's just what Ange calls me. LOL. I truly am a BAMF.

Kat, what are those words?! "F*ck"?! I've never seen it befooooooooore!!!! :lol: ;)

Indeed, urbandictionary is quite the tool. I must say though, I've learned some things from there that I was better off not knowing. *scarred for life*

I don't know the meaning of most of those you listed. :shocked: I had no idea that you were in the army, Robert. I thought you were probably 25 or so. :blink::)

Ha, ha, thanks Kori! I'm 25 all right; I think Mars has probably made 25 trips around the sun by now. I'm 42 actually, but with the maturity of a 25 year-old and the body of a 60 year-old.

~ I was in the military for 8-yrs, but, never ran into FIGMO; new one for me.

~ 'Snafu, Fubar' and a few others go back to WWII. There's official 'bureaucratese' (FBI, NSA etc) and 'militarese' (F-117/B-2/'Alpha') acros, as well as the unofficial ones (mentioned already), however, as the marine on HISTORY CHANNEL's 'Mail Call' says: "Listen up, peeps!" --- The worst is yet to come for all of us. To wit...

~ Anyone noticed the commercial lately where a mom is arguing with her 10yr-old daughter about a phone bill? The daughter argues in terms of 'text-messaging' acronymic-slang-jargon! The mom's barely keeping up with it trying to have the last...er...'word' in the argument; it's a commercial re some phone-comp for one to join up with re cost-of-use.

~ The times, they are a changin'; the 'global language' of English, also!

LLAP

Addendum:

~ For those anti-George-Carlin types, the present day Politically Correct re-interpretation of FUBAR is now a non-'offensive' FOULED-Up-Beyond-All-Recognition. :geek:

~ I really did hear them use it on tv; really.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey