Evanescence

Dodger

I felt compelled to post because I have been listening to Evanescence for quite some time, and I have never heard a more musical rock band...ever.

I myself am a pianist and I have a wide range of styles that I enjoy playing, from classical to contemporary, and I have never heard piano scores as brilliant as those used by Evanescence.

Evanescence uses Amy Lee's towering voice, thrashing guitars, haunting choir chants, abstract melodies, and beautiful piano innovations that simply astound me.

If you have a spare $20 bill in your wallet, go to Wal-Mart and buy 'The Open Door' By Evanescence. Particular tracks that stand out are:

Sweet Sacrifice--Loud, smart, and powerful.

Weight Of The World--I love the middle-eastern accents that accompany this song. Louder and more powerful than Sweet Sacrifice

Lithium--Beautiful piece, with the proper progressions in the right places.

Cloud Nine--Haunting, loud, and beautiful, even with the constant guitar riffs.

Lacrymosa--Words cannot describe the sheer beauty and brilliance that is Lacrymosa.

Lose Control--This song also utilizes some middle eastern accents and chants that sound amazing.

Good Enough--One of the most beautiful piano pieces I have ever heard. Period.

:)

Whoooa, Mitchell, if you think Evanescence is the most musical rock band you've ever heard, you've a lot to hear!

If you're interested in some suggestions, let me know and I can give a more comprehensive list of particular songs, but do you listen to any Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Lacrimosa, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Avantasia, Edguy, Blind Guardian, Malice Mizer, Van Helsing's Curse, Rhapsody, or recent Yes?

Most of the best music out there that doesn't get radio air time!

By the way, I play piano too! Will probably minor in it in college, depending upon the school I go to. Some schools don't let you major and minor in the same discipline (I'm majoring in Music Theory & Composition). How long have you been playing?

~Elizabeth

Edited by ENonemaker

Whoooa, Mitchell, if you think Evanescence is the most musical rock band you've ever heard, you've a lot to hear!

If you're interested in some suggestions, let me know and I can give a more comprehensive list of particular songs, but do you listen to any Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Lacrimosa, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Avantasia, Edguy, Blind Guardian, Malice Mizer, Van Helsing's Curse, Rhapsody, or recent Yes?

Most of the best music out there that doesn't get radio air time!

By the way, I play piano too! Will probably minor in it in college, depending upon the school I go to. Some schools don't let you major and minor in the same discipline (I'm majoring in Music Theory & Composition). How long have you been playing?

~Elizabeth

Well you have to consider I am a bit biased when it comes to music. I am always open to hearing new music, so if you could give me some suggestions (track wise) I'll be sure to look into it.

And about playing the piano, believe it or not, I've been playing since I was 1 1/2 years old. My grandmother had been teaching me so much while I was young that by the time I was this age I could speak in full sentences. I had an oversized cassette player and a Disney music tape that I listened to every night while going to sleep (a habit I still possess to this day, listening to music at night :)). Anyways, one of the songs on that tape was 'Its a Small World,' Im sure youve heard it before.

Well, after I listened to it countless times I decided to tinker with this small toy piano in our living room. It was there that I played the melody to the song by ear. Ever since then my grandmother has backed all my musical endeavours.

As of now, I've been taking lessens for the past 10 years, and prior to that I played by ear. My favorite piece to showcase my skill would have to be the Black Key (Op 10, No 5--Chopin).

• 1 month later...

I'm not a musician but I love listening to music. I've always thought that when someone throws out the fact that they are a musician themselves and therefore that validates their opion, that it is total pretentious bullshit. For instance, I knew a multi instrumentalist who was classically trained to play the cello and majoring in music in university who's favourite bands were, Limp Bizkit, Puddle of Mudd and Good Charlotte. The only semblance of taste in her collection was Combat Rock by the Clash but that is by far their weakest effort. And no, she didn't have London Calling.

Someone doesn't have to be a great musician to make great music that stands the test of time. thats like saying great writers use big vague words. Look at Johnny Cash, the Ramones, or Bob Dylan. Not a "great" musician amongst them.

And great musicianship doesn't make up for poor songwriting.

Just saying.

actually overall its probably Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen for me in terms of songwriting but Leonard Cohen has some songs that could make those two blush. He just doesn't have the same consistent brilliance as a Springsteen or the great albums of a Dylan.